Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Jazz 73

Belazaras

Hi, somebody offer me a Fender Jazz 75 and I don't know how identify if its a good Fender or a damaged/ modified one.

The guy send me the serial and it seems to be 73 (374518) but the photos of the back don't show the dark brown fill who cover the truss rod in the back of the neck, and I'd read some Fender history and in 1973 the neckplate changed to tree bolts and this one had 4. The decal on the headstock show "Jazz Bass"in other font than I usually saw, and I have doubts about the pots.

Look the pictures:

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

I'll apreciate your help.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your picture 2 and 3 didn't work for me.

It's definitely not all original, the neck looks like a 70's neck, and the pickup cover looks good.

But those are definitely not the dials that the bass came with.

I'm suspicious of the pickguard, if it was original it would have holes for the top pickup cover and the thumbrest.

I'm a little suspicious about the body being original as well, the wood doesn't look like the right kind (alder) in the picture.

The dark strip on the back of the neck was a later invention, on the neck of the bass you show, the truss rod went in before the fingerboard was glued on.

It might still be a good bass, but I wouldn't pay a "vintage" price for it.

OK, the pictures look good.

It doesn't have three bolts because it's older than 1975.

The dials and the pickguard are not original.

Now that I see the back, the body wood looks ok.

If you want to find out if the body is the original, take the pickguard off and see if there are holes where the upper pickup cover and the thumbrest would have been.

If you have the pickguard off, sometimes you can see dates on the pots.

Look up the serial number on the Fender website in their serial number finder. However, Fender serial numbers don't follow any regular kind of regular pattern, so you'll only get an estimate.

What does it sound like, what does it feel like?

That's the most important thing.

"What does it sound like, what does it feel like?

That's the most important thing."

A guy send me it from Bolivia to Buenos Aires. I´ll can test it unplugged in the post office, if I like it, I´ll pay u$s 800.00 to the bolivian friend and run to my amp.

The most important thing I want to know is if it´s a true JazzBass or not.

PS: Jeremy, you say "dials" to the¨"Fender JAZZ BASS" words in the headstock?

Thats actually a nice looking bass!

Looks alot like the one my high school had, way back when.

All these Fender threads and pics have got me hankering for a J...

hmmm... yeah. I need a new bass.

According to the Fender serial number chart I have, that one is anywhere from '70 to '73. There may be a date stamped on the neck heel, but that's just when the neck was made, not necessarily when the bass was put together. (But you'd know if the neck said '72 that your bass was made in '72 or later...)

Ask your friend if he has the original pickguard and dials (knobs). Then I'd talk about price... since its pretty obviously not stock, you have

some bargaining room.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

jeremyc is right, the pickguard doesn't at all look original (I believe it should have holes for the pickup cover and maybe a thumbrest) neither do the control knobs for that matter.

However the neck and tuners seem to fit the time, as well as the control plate and bridge cover.

But to me, the body does look like either Alder or Ash. (Did Fender use ash back then?)

All and all, I'm not a Fender expert, but I would not buy it based on those pictures. But listen to it, feel it, and it all depends on the price and whether or not YOU like it.

It probably isn't all original, most likely modified, but there may be a reason the owner modified it.

\m/ Timothy Lyons

Originally posted by belazaras:

[QBPS: Jeremy, you say "dials" to the¨"Fender JAZZ BASS" words in the headstock?[/QB]

He's referring to the tone/volume knobs.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Sorry I don't know Spanish for the parts of a bass.

I meant the knobs when I said dials.

The Fender Jazz Bass words on the headstock look fine.

$800 seems like an ok price for this bass, if the neck is straight and it sounds good.

Maybe you could bring a small amp to the post office to try out the bass.

Archived