Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

off topic--Mariah Carey

jeremy c

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

henryrobinett wrote:

Why all the hostility Jotown?
I wasn't being hostile, just being smart ass. :D

Dan South wrote:

I can recognize talent and ability when I see it, and I don't have some subconscious need to put down successful people to make myself feel more important.
To tell other people what the subconcious motivations behind their thoughts are, is pretty arrogant, in my opinion.

Some people just dont' think that Mariah is all that. They have a right to that opinion.

I said she has a great voice, but I didn't say she is a great singer, because I don't think she is. Also when your husband is the president of the label during all of your success, and you flop without his support, you have to wonder how much of her success was Tommy Mottola and how much was her.

Except for one or two songs, her material has been very weak, so I don't know if she is a great singer because I have never heard her sing a great song. IMHO she oversings, and ruins much of what she puts her vocal chords on.

As far as being influential, well.....to me that is just another reason not to like her, because I am so sick of all of the over singing Mariah wannabes's.

Mine, and everyone elses opinion here, is just as valid as anyone elses, and I don't need to be told that my dislike for an artist is some subconcious complex.

I just don't like her.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

While I despise all music which is Mariah Carey... she does have a very good voice and a lot of talent. The BIGGEST problem that I see in this particular genre of music right now is this infatuation people seem to have with the over-embellishment of EVERYTHING. Every line of every song has more vocal embellishments than the entire song should have. Listen to what Whitney Houston has done in her career (another person I don't care for at all, from a purely listening standpoint). Back in "the day" when she was first coming onto the scene, she pretty much sang everything straight. Recently, her vocal warblings have become exactly the same as everyone elses, and in fact, she was probably one of the first artists to go the route of super over the top embellishment.

This is the equivalent of a guitarist/bassist/whatever pulling every single cool trick out of their bag during every measure of the entire song (or at least trying to).

Stop the insanity.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

While I despise all music which is Mariah Carey... she does have a very good voice and a lot of talent. The BIGGEST problem that I see in this particular genre of music right now is this infatuation people seem to have with the over-embellishment of EVERYTHING. Every line of every song has more vocal embellishments than the entire song should have. Listen to what Whitney Houston has done in her career (another person I don't care for at all, from a purely listening standpoint). Back in "the day" when she was first coming onto the scene, she pretty much sang everything straight. Recently, her vocal warblings have become exactly the same as everyone elses, and in fact, she was probably one of the first artists to go the route of super over the top embellishment.

This is the equivalent of a guitarist/bassist/whatever pulling every single cool trick out of their bag during every measure of the entire song (or at least trying to).

Stop the insanity.

Yeah, what he said!

The female artists that I really like - Jewel and Lauryn Hill among others - don't try to be vocal acrobats. Yet nobody will deny that their music is heartfelt and - at least to me - that makes it more meaningful.

And years from now people will respect Derek Jeter for his play on the field as a shortstop for the Yankees, but I will always respect him for dumping Mariah Carey.

Ah, nice marmot.

Originally posted by Scootdog:

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Stop the insanity.

Yeah, what he said!

The female artists that I really like - Jewel and Lauryn Hill among others - don't try to be vocal acrobats. Yet nobody will deny that their music is heartfelt and - at least to me - that makes it more meaningful.

And years from now people will respect Derek Jeter for his play on the field as a shortstop for the Yankees, but I will always respect him for dumping Mariah Carey.

:D so dumping Mariah.. :D

And to further clarify, it's not like I think vocal acrobats are BAD in general. When they are used non-stop for an entire song, yeah, that's not so good. Not a fan.

And to further clarify, it's not like I think vocal acrobats are BAD in general. When they are used non-stop for an entire song, yeah, that's not so good. Not a fan.
That is the difference between a great voice and a great singer. I used to teach voice, and most male singers were pretty much copying Stevie Wonder, and the females were copying Mariah.

I used to tell them that is like having a conversation. The song is the point you are trying to make, while the embellishments should only be for emphasis of that point. When embellishments become the point, you just aren't saying anything.

It's like someone trying to impress you with their vocabulary. Using a hundred words to say something that only requires three is not very effective communicating.

Sometimes "I love you" is all that you need to say. More words don't add, they instead detract from your point sometimes. Most modern R&B suffers from this over-singing syndrome; They got the chops' but they aint' saying nothing.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

The term I coined for this type of singing

is "overwrought coloratura" :rolleyes:

Whitney sure did help popularize it :bor:

I saw a local talent show last week where

an "up n'coming" high school chick ladled

that shit on so thick it was almost a Sat Night Live sketch :P

She had a great voice(as does Mariah) but enuf already!

if it ain't broke don't fix it...

unless you need the overtime.

I used to tell them that is like having a conversation. The song is the point you are trying to make, while the embellishments should only be for emphasis of that point. When embellishments become the point, you just aren't saying anything.

mmmmm, Sounds a little like playing the bass to me. Could it be we're ALL bound by the same code of conduct?

Nah, certainly not singers....

• 3 weeks later...

I was watching mariah perform on tv one night and was shocked by what I saw.

Randy jackson was playing keyboard! Playing the bass line on a damn keyboard! The whole time he was looking into the camera with this expresion on his face saying: "you are making me play keyboard? why?"

Damn this MIDI thing is out of hand now. Are there even any bass players in the popular R&B soul genre anymore? If i see one more slick diva with 4 keyboard players onstage I am gona vomit.

Martha Reeves (the Motown one) once referred to it as "Yodeling" ...which although funny, is also unfortunately true.

It is heartening to see that there are some other folks who are repelled by this lack of taste. There for awhile I'd started thinking I was the only one.

It's also sad to see the 'wannabe' singers on the so-called 'talent' contests imitate this yodeling wankage.

"We are the Federales... You know, the Mounted Police..."

---"If you're the police, where are your badges?"

"Bodges?..."

Originally posted by cruzbass:

I Damn this MIDI thing is out of hand now. Are there even any bass players in the popular R&B soul genre anymore? If i see one more slick diva with 4 keyboard players onstage I am gona vomit.

Forget the Diva, just 3 bassplayers and a drummer, now that's my kind of band. :cool:

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived