Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp help

Ayatollah Watts

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

apologies for not being more detailed in my question

*slaps self*

Yeah, when I turn the preamp knob, it makes this really bad scratching sound, it's not the speaker cause when it turn it really slow, it sounds fine, just when I turn it fast it make that sound

Pain teaches what pride won't let you learn...

And how do you prevent this from happening again?

"Dirty Pots" are caused by leaving the knobs in one,or 2 spots all the time, so I'm told.

The way I've been told to prevent them is to always turn pots to zero after use. Then, reset them to where you need them.

I don't do that...(except on my guitar) Has anybody else heard this?

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Yes...I have heard this.....and it does seem to make sense.

The scratchy dirty pots are often just a result of small particles of dust which enter into the control pot thru time. ( most pots are not 100% sealed) These small tiny particles of dust create small gaps or inconsistancies in the electrical connection...which result in the 'scratchy' sound we hear.

By 'moving' the said control ....you keep the small particles of dust from building up to the point where they interrupt the connection.

Make sense ??

PJR

I've heard this also.

I turn my controls to "zero" or their center detent when I'm done playing. Often, before I plug in, I give them a spin thru their full range. I do this both on my amps and on my basses.

I have yet to have problems with a "scratchy" pot.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Happens to wah pedals too. If the stuff PJR recommended doesn't work you'll probably want to replace that pot. Once the grit gets in there, turning the pot to keep it smooth will eventually erode it to the point of uselessness.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

• 2 weeks later...

If you're not comfortable with delving this far into the electrics of your bass with what is a relatively elementary electrical issue, perhaps it is wiser to simply let your favorite tech clean or replace the pots for you.

There's no shame in that.......after all, DIY repairs/maintenance aren't necessarily for everyone, that's why techs exist.

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

Originally posted by Ayatollah Watts:

I couldn't find any "tuner control" and I'm thinking that it's a wire, cause the bass will go out for a second, then it'll magically come back on, so I'm gonna get a sodering kit and go to town, if that doesn't work I will be back

This symptom sounds like a completely different issue than the first one. Often, this type of problem is caused by the jack....a wire loose or even a worn out jack.

Brings up the issue: how old and what type of bass is it. That will give some clue.

Also, given the fact that I see 2 separate probs here, I think I'd probably be looking for an electronic rebuild....keep p/u's but replace everything from the wires out. No sense in having something go bad on somebody's stage.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived