Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Taking care of a maple neck

Cuahtemoc

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all, it's recommended that you wipe it down (at least the strings) every time you play to remove dirt before it settles in. I just got a supplement from the guys that write for bass player, and they had a suggestion in there i tried out on my maple board that made it look brand new - use a TINY bit of glass cleaner (windex, etc) and gently brush with the softest (cheapest) toothbrush you can find. It removed all the grime from the sides of the frets; looks brand new.

Hmmmm, the windex sounds like a good idea. I've been using that Dunlop Formula 65 spray stuff. On my fretless, I had a couple of years of grime built up, so I sprayed down the cloth almost wet, and started rubbing the board with it. Looks great, and even sounds better. I've been doing this on the back of the neck on both basses, just a little spray, though, just to keep the grime down.

Umm, I think I've been duped by a guitarist friend. He swears by lemon juice (diluted in a little water). I started using this about 2 years ago, every time I change strings or notice some build up, I simply get a cloth and clean away. It obviously smells great and it really brings the finish through.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Don't use anything on it.

Really, you should use very light steel wool for the built-up gunk (put masking tape over the pickups in case bits of steel wool come off, they'll fly right to magnets and are a pain to get off), and that's it.

Occasionally, you may need to oil the neck, but that's like...twice a year max. Any more than that and the wood just gets all soaked with oil.

Trust me, I learned this the hard way...although my neck didn't get hurt. Ernie Ball necks are pretty damn stable, and even though I was abusing it in such a manner without knowing, it's still in good shape.

But all that cleaner really isn't necessary.

i have a 79 peavy t 40...i cleaned thefrets...mostly with a toothbrush and windex once....but there is still a bit of this green shit around it and underit...i think the frets are unsettling or something...but do u really need to clean the back of the neck.??
less is more

I just used a damp cloth, got rid of all the gunk on the fretboard. Well, most of it. it seems that the lower 7 frets have absorbed more oil or something due to more use; they look to be going a slightly honey colour. The higher frets are the same pale maple colour though.

LMAO, Peter, I don't called that "Mojo", I called that fungus and dirt.

I think I don't want people to see it as my "personal signature" on the bass. It will be horrible when people start to associate me with that as Jaco with Fried Chicken.

Archived