Jump to content


Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

battery life in Warwick w/active elecs.


BNC

Recommended Posts

My Corvette has the active 2 band electronics, and it eats batteries. I got the bass in Sept., and it has gone through 3 batteries with less than 5hrs of amplified use (I mostly play unplugged). I leave the volume knob in (in active position) when its not being used.

 

Is this a normal rate of battery consumption? (it concerns me since my Carvin has had the same battery for 4 years, even after being used for over 100 gigs and plenty of practices)

 

Would leaving the bass in passive mode when not in use make a difference?

 

thanks!

BNC

Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I only have my Conklin active bass and that kept the original battery in it for more than 5 hrs. definitely. I wish mine had the passive option. That doesn't seem right some how??? that it lasts only that long :confused I'm guessing that when in passive mode it is not using the battery at all??? Hopefully someone more experienced with battery life can assist you here BNC.
"Don't Ask Me I'm Just The Bassplayer" UBP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That would definetely bug me. My Warwick has never burned out a battery....I replace them about once a year just to be safe. It probably sees an average of 3 hours per week use.

 

I used to pop the active pot when the bass was plugged in and not being played to disable the electronics...but I don't now. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

 

I don't know if you have the same 2 band I have...I use the MEC p/j config with the sealed MEC unit in the battery cover.

 

However, do you leave the unit plugged in without playing for a long time? Or leave it hooked up to a wireless while in the bag? Cord plugged in is the "on-off" switch for the electronics.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

 

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you leaving the bass plugged in? Typically I'd get 2-3 months out of a battery when I was practicing/playing regularely. Once the pickups started getting that mild fuzz from low output, I'd switch it. But you should certainly be getting more than 5 hours. Is there a short on the jack somewhere that's causing the battery wire to ground out?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a Warwick Corvette, and the battery life in it is very long (6 months per maybe?) I never mess w/ the push/pull pot - I leave it in "active" mode all the time - but it's only plugged in while I play it. If you're unplugging the bass in between uses, something is wrong. :(
Ah, nice marmot.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds fishy to me. Most batteries in 9v onboard systems last several months, even if played regularly. Both my basses have active electronics, I play at least a little bit almost every day. I don't have to change them more than once every 6 months.

 

One possible explanation, if the 3 batteries all came from the same pack or were bought at the same time, is that the manufacturer had a defective lot of batteries. Maybe try a different brand? I understand, though, that you may have been buying a new battery each time.

spreadluv

 

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always unplug my basses whe not playing.

 

DBB- So I should keep it plugged in?

 

The first battery was from the factory, the other 2 were duracel from the same pack. I'll get some new ones.

 

The weirdt thing is, I have only played with it plugged in for maybe and hour or 2. I live in an apartment so I don't want to bother eveyone. I also have little time, so I play unamplified for short (5-30min) periods of time, which is not worth hooking up in my mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perhaps I was unclear. It should NOT be plugged in when not playing.

 

Some folks keep their instrument resting on a stand, plugged into their amp day and night. That would be bad.

 

Maybe there is a problem in the jack....the pin that senses a plug and turns the unit on might be shorting out...so the bass thinks it's plugged in.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

 

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...