Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Please help me chose between two basses

betaphase

Hi,

This is a question to all my fellow musicians out there. I am going to be buying a bass guitar for my sister. She has never really played any instruments before, so I'm planning on getting one of the more inexpensive ones. I've narrowed the choices down to a either a Squier MB-4 or an Ibanez GSR200. I'd like to know what you think is the better choice, or if you'd recommend something completely different in that price range. Nothing with a pickguard though, because she says she really hates how they look. (I know its not about the look, but one of her main reasons for wanting to play the bass is because she likes the look as well as the sound, so please give her a break on that one ;) )

Maybe all there is to life

Is to ask the questions,

And to Survive

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is all about the look! Check out the several recent threads on the subject of image!

I've always liked Ibanez basses... they are one of the best beginner basses around, and their quality is superior to the Squires, in my opinion.

but before you go and buy new, check on eBay for used Ibanez basses... you could probably find a good bass for the same price a model or two up from the 200 you are looking at now.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I'll chime in infavour of the ibanez basses, because i have one (not that model) and i love it. and because ive never liked fender, don't know why, but i don't like em.

Another thing to consider is that at the lower end of the price spectrum you are probably better off buying something second hand and getting a slightly better quality instrument.

Hope it helps.

Providence over serendipity any day.

Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret:

And no pickguard as a rule? That's kinda weird.

I wouldn't say that... that was one of my criteria on the bass I have now... i like the clean look of a rear routed intrument whether its a guitar or bass...

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I think you would do good to get the ibanez. I had one for a long time and it stood up good. One thing nice about the Ibanez is if she is younger or a smaller person then they are very easy to handle. the neck is narrower than most fender style basses and people with smaller hands have a easier time play them. and in my opinion Squire basses are just no good. I do like fender though, but the USA made stuff.

I'll also have to go with the ibanez bass. I've actually had a lower end model from ibanez, and it wasn't too bad, except for the slapping, which you just couldn't do very well on it, due to it sounding dull.

Other than that, its still in existance, ( 6 - 7 years now ) and it still works. I think I paid around 300 for it, up here in the great white north.

And to think, even on the vast tundra, in my igloo, the neck didn't warp.

Check out my work in progress.

Originally posted by chewstermaniac:

And to think, even on the vast tundra, in my igloo, the neck didn't warp.

So how does that ibanez hold up on the long dogsled trips to those Moosemeat Festival gigs at the ice fishing holes?

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Between the Ibanez & the Squier, I'd say Ibanez.

My personal favorite entry-level bass is the Yamaha, however (BB or RBX series). They just seem to me to be a cut above anything else in their price range. That's important, because some of their entry-level basses are inexpensive & good for beginners, but they're also good enough that you can keep playing them for a long time while you advance. That saves you money over the long haul.

There's something to be said for not going too cheap on the first one. It can make it harder to stick with it if you have to fight the thing, or if you think it sounds like poo. And think of it this way: either she stays with it, or she doesn't. If she stays with it & the bass is cheap, she'll have to replace it right away, & it won't have much resale value; you lose money, at the end of the day. If she doesn't stay with it, you'll try to sell it; again no resale value, & you lose money.

If it were me, my best bet would be to find an Ibanez or Yamaha on eBay in good condition, with some nice extras (e.g. good case), & for no more than what comparable items tend to run (check "completed items" when you do an eBay search). $300, say, should take you very, very far. Just stay away from the junk "starter" packages.

FWIW, you can check out my review of the Yamaha BBG4S II here:

http://www.bgra.net/reviews/yamaha-bbg4sii-1-rvw.html

Archived