Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

More Jaco

jeremy c

Time for my 12 step program statement:

My name is Jeremy and I am a Jaco fan.

I own many records, cds and tapes with Jaco playing on them, and I saw him play live with his Word of Mouth band.

OK, now that I've got that over with, I want to report that this week I bought the DVD of Joni Mitchell's Shadows and Light concert.

This concert features Joni Mitchell, Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays, Michael Brecker, Don Alias, and Jaco Pastorius.

All I have to say is WOW!

Jaco's playing is so strong, so original, so supportive, totally in the groove.

The things he comes up with on "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" are coming from some other place, I have no idea where, but they are beautiful.

On "The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines" it starts with Joni singing and playing guitar for the first verse. Then Jaco comes in.

My wife said, "whoa, he was right in the pocket from his first note".

Yes, folks, he was smokin'. At the end, Joni drops out and just the rest of the band is jamming. Absolutely fantastic.

And on the songs that are closer to normal rock music, Jaco plays nice grooves.

The only downside is that the DVD cost me 50 bucks, but with the cost of concerts nowadays, that's not really different from buying two tickets to a show.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeremy,

That DVD sounds cool. I think its gonna be a must have for me. Because of this board, I bought the "Birthday Concert" by Jaco. I love it. Since I grew up listening and playing Metal Music its just amazing how my tastes have opened up over the years. Thanks for the information. :thu:

I too have this DVD, and I too find it to be completely and utterly brilliant. Hearing this band perform Joni Mitchell's material is so completely cool. Jaco and Pat Metheny really shine on it. As Jeremy pointed out, Jaco's playing is just scary. He's so in the pocket all the time that he's probably actually completely made of lint. One of my favorite tunes on this is "In France They Kiss On Main street". It's just a really basic pop rock tune, but the lines that Jaco plays just kill; hard. There are just little things all over that Jaco pulls out that I just love.. like the falling off fill that he does in the tune 'Hejira' with the vocal line "and the wax rolls down like tears..." So cool.

Buy this DVD. Do it. Do it now. It's $50, but who cares, you don't really need to eat for the next week. Trust me. You like it. It likes you.

Go here to purchase it online:

http://audiophileimports.com/

Your friendly neighborhood crack dealer,

-Brian

You know, Patrick, there is a link right there in my post about this for Audiophile Imports. I don't think it would be THAT difficult to click the link, search the site for 'Joni Mitchell' and see for yourself.

I am in a giving mood today, so I will provide you with the information right here. Yes, the Shadows & Light show is also available on VHS. It is more expensive than the DVD, it's $64.99. They have the same material on them.

Shadows & Light (in both DVD & VHS) is not available in the US anymore. You have to get it through a store that has imports available. You can buy the CD version of Shadows & Light just about anywhere that carries CDs.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

You know, Patrick, there is a link right there in my post about this for Audiophile Imports. I don't think it would be THAT difficult to click the link, search the site for 'Joni Mitchell' and see for yourself.

I am in a giving mood today, so I will provide you with the information right here. Yes, the Shadows & Light show is also available on VHS. It is more expensive than the DVD, it's $64.99. They have the same material on them.

Shadows & Light (in both DVD & VHS) is not available in the US anymore. You have to get it through a store that has imports available. You can buy the CD version of Shadows & Light just about anywhere that carries CDs.

A giving mood? If you say so... Reads to be more condescending if you ask me, but to each his own.

So I didn't see the link, because now that I've looked, it's at the very bottom of the post, and a lot of people have links in their signatures, so in my mind, it blended in. But, here's a big :thu: up yer ass.

Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret:

A giving mood? If you say so... Reads to be more condescending if you ask me, but to each his own.

So I didn't see the link, because now that I've looked, it's at the very bottom of the post, and a lot of people have links in their signatures, so in my mind, it blended in. But, here's a big :thu: up yer ass.

Ouch! Salaaappp!!!!

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Originally posted by danymal_x:

Ouch! Salaaappp!!!!
:eek: Maybe it's that I've drank 2 cups of coffee instead of my normal one, but I'm laughin' my arse off on those posts.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to add something productive. Ebay has some DVD's and VHS's (and even Laser Disc!) of a "Joni Mitchell Shadow's and Light" much cheaper than $50, including one you can "buy now" for $16. Here's a link for patrick: Ebay

(just kidding patrick!!) ;)

Ah, nice marmot.

....nevermind. just nevermind.

Just want to place one comment: I really do not like all these "video clips" intermezzo's. Just show me the band!!

I totally agree on the musicality of the concert with all other owners of the concert who have spoken before. Ordered mine also via Audiophile (I live in the Netherlands: cheers Internet!)

Originally posted by A.P. Prod.:

I thought this was pretty clever.

By Bumpcity

He's so in the pocket all the time that he's probably actually completely made of lint.
:D
Oh yeah....and it's true. I have the Double CD and Jaco is just so kickin'

The only down side of the CD is the sound of Joni's guitar. Acoustic guitar pickup technology being what it was in 1979, I guess it couldn't be helped.

But Jaco and Pat....wow.....

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Archived