Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My new Ashdown and Crown

Scoot

Just got everything into my rack (which now weighs 70 lbs) and thought I'd share the excitement. Here's what I have in the rack now:

Ashdown RPM1 pre-amp

Crown MT1200 power amp

BBE Sonic Maximizer

Furman Power Conditioner

Anyways, played w/ my Ibanez SR3005E and Warwick Corvette, and the Ashdown sounds kicks all kinds of ass (as expected), and the Crown provides a ton of headroom. All the features on the Ashdown are very useable and give a ton of flexiblity. The mini-sliders make dialing in a good tone simple, and the input control (SS vs. tube) and the sub-harmonics sound great.

And on a sidenote, just the look of the rack makes me giggle like a little girl - Chrome fronts, blue lights, red lights, VU meter!!!

Ahh, can't wait to show it off to my local bass buddies. :D I'll try to borrow a digital camera for pics too for you guys (too bad you can't hear it.)

Thanks everybody for their input, 'specially Bump for the recommendation on the Ashdown. ;)

sd

Ah, nice marmot.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats!!

I am one or two steps away from completing my rig. Its scary how similar it is.

Ashdown RPM-1 John Entwistle

Crown K2

Power Conditioner

2 Acme B-2s

Ive got some custom cables on the way and still need to get a rackbox.

I was going to post my thoughts on my rack, but was going to give it a couple gigs and whatnot to really get a feel for it.

Anywho not to take away from your joy.

I'm stoked for you!!

What cab are your using btw?

Dave

Scoot-Hound - Welcome to the wonderful world of the Ashdown RPM1. :) Isn't it just the coolest damn pre-amp ever? The slight tube-overdrive crunch you can get out of it is just to die for in rock music and the none-more-clean-swr-esque tone from the solid state side is lovely for so many things. Ahhh... diveristy in amplification.

Now I just need to cure my GAS pains for the 2 SWR Goliath III cabs, and I'll be a happy camper... well, for the time being.

Originally posted by music-man:

Q for you Ashdown lovers ... How much of the tone-shaping, channel switching, effects, etc. is footswitchable (i.e. - is there a floor control box)?

I can't tell from the ads/reviews I've seen.

Footswitching is the only beef I have with the RPM1. There are 3 different things one can control via a footswitch, and all but one are fairly pointless.

1. The "mute" button is footswitchable... so, if you are unplugging a bass to plug in another, and you're too lazy to push the "mute" button on the front of your amp, you can hit a footswitch. whoopee.

2. The ability to turn on/off the graphic EQ section. Yeah... I'm not a big fan of having the graphic EQ turned off in the first place, why would I want to be able to do this via a footswitch? With the graphic EQ turned off, even if the graphic EQ is totally flat, makes a fairly noticable difference in tone. No sir, I don't like it.

3. You can turn the octaver on/off via a footswitch. Yay! Finally something worth having footswitchable!

All these footswitch options are add-ons from the basic unit, and I have no idea how much the switches cost.

If I could add anything to this amp, I would request that the solid state/tube preamp dial could be adjusted via a volume-pedal type of thing. Sometimes I would really like to be able to roll the tube gain section back for certain parts of songs and then floor it again when things got "very metal". That's what my Digitech BNX3 is for I guess. hateful necessity. I don't like having a damn pedal board.

Yeah, that's why I didn't get the footswitch. Seemed kinda pointless. Heard it was a noisy footswitch too, is it?

Oh, and bump...about the VU meter...I couldn't get the damn thing anywhere near the red last night w/o messin' around w/ the eq on the pre or my bass, and that doesn't seem right. What's up w/ that? Of course, only got to play around on it for a bit last night. Will try more tonight.

Ah, nice marmot.

Scoot, play with the "input" level and the input jack that you are plugging into. I generally set the input gain by playing low C, first fret on B string, and having it hot enough where the needle just barely goes into the red area. That way, if I need to boost a little somethin' on my bass preamp whilst playing, I don't suddenly start way over-driving the input.

Play around with it more, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Actually the input was cranked to 10, and I tried both inputs. But tonight I plugged directly in from the bass to the pre (ignoring the pedal board w/ tuner, chorus, and distortion) and got better results, but still only reached the red only when the input was at 10. My bass and treble boost/cut knobs on the bass are at +/-0, the eq on the pre is flat, my 9V battery is good, and I'm using a monster cable in good condition. Should I still have to crank the input to 10 to reach the red? It just doesn't seem right. But it sounds great...

Any ideas?

Ah, nice marmot.

Wow... your bass must have a really low signal output. I can easily bury the needle with the gain at 50% with my Lull basses. Hmmm... don't know what else to tell ya bro. Perhaps one of your other items in your signal chain has a pre/post boost on it that you could use to boost the signal some?

I have the same problem. I have the input cranked and it never goes into the red. I raised my pickups a bit and that gave it a hotter signal, but the magnets were interfering with the vibration of the strings (sounded BAD) so i put them back.

BTW when i went to a studio to record they had me going into a compressor into the board. BOTH gains were cranked and the signal still wasnt very good. Not to mention the s/n HISSSSSSSSSSSS. But on the otherhand it was a budget studio with a budget engineer and equipment.

BTW high is for passive basses and low is for active basses... that seems backwards in my head but i think they are talking about impedence.

Another thing i find cheesy is that the vu meter goes off of the EQ even if the EQ isnt on.

I dunno - the main point is it sounds good.

A volume type pedal contolling the grind knob would be the sh*t!! Maybe even have 2 settings and have them footswitchable if the volume pedal idea is too difficult. The grind knob is too cool not to be able to be used in real time.

Dave

Dave

Congrats to those with new equipment - may you play long and loud !!

I was wondering about the EQ switching. I haven't tried the Ashdown pre (yet), but I tried an Ampeg that had knobs and a graphic. There was a switch to go from one to the other. It would seem that you could set them to two different sounds, and use the footswitch to bounce back and forth.

What happens to the "tone" controls on the Ashdown when you turn off the EQ - does it just go to all flat, or are there alternate controls?

thanks

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

Congrats to those with new equipment - may you play long and loud !!

I was wondering about the EQ switching. . .

. . . What happens to the "tone" controls on the Ashdown when you turn off the EQ - does it just go to all flat, or are there alternate controls?

thanks

Tom

Thanks Tom. Bump will probably answer this better, but there are two buttons that affect the eq.

First, the "Push Flat" button, which puts "a fixed E.Q. is superimposed on the preamp to give a bright but punchy character to the sound."

Second, the "EQ" button, which "switches the Equalisation section IN or OUT, i.e., the Bass, Middle and Treble controls and the two sets of sliders placed between these."

The "Push Flat" button is useful, but I still haven't figured out why I would use the "EQ" button...

But figuring out the new toys is half the fun of it. ;)

Ah, nice marmot.

Being able to have the EQ on or off (in/out) is possibly an attempt by Ashdown to offer you a proxy for having more than one channel -- for example if you have two basses you EQ differently (like a fretted and a fretless).

However, I hear what Bump is saying about how he feels there's a loss of tone when the EQ is "out." What about when the EQ is off, but some of the pre-shape buttons are engaged? (Isn't there a "deep" and a "bright"?) Thus you could EQ one bass using the knob/slider EQ and the other using pre-shapes. Or the other using onboard EQ.

In this case (using the pre-shapes to EQ) it would defeat the purpose of the EQ footswitch since you'd still need to go to the amp to hit the pre-shape buttons. Also, those pre-shape buttons may not really provide enough EQ versatility...

Anyway, I don't have an Ashdown -- so take any of my comments with a grain/pinch/bunch of salt. I've played the heads in shops, and been very impressed -- both with the EQ on and off. In stores I've had the same difficulty trying to get the needle to hit the red, BUT I haven't taken the time to really investigate that "input level" issue.

Scoot-diggity-dog: Enjoy the gear. May you now always be heard above your fellow bandmates!

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by CupMcMali:

Best of luck with the new rig Scootdog! :freak:

Make that "May you play long, LOW and loud!" and you've got yourself a battle cry.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Oh yeah, did I mention how much air my cab moves now?? :D:D:D

Seriously, it literally feels like a cool breeze blowing in through an open window. Just another one of those intangible things that only bass players understand and appreciate . . .

Ah, nice marmot.

Hate to bump my own thread (okay, I really don't!), but I had two of my friends (that happen to be two of the best rock bassists in town) over tonight before we wen't out and they absolutely loved my setup. Both play Ampeg SVP pre's w/ Ampeg cabs and couldn't get over the sound of my rig. Heha!

If only I could play like those two though...

Okey-dokey, enough talking, time for bed. It's 4:08, and I'm obviously drunk....

Thanks once again for everybody's input on the setup. :thu:

Ah, nice marmot.

Archived