Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hows this amp

soupster

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have that particular Carvin amp, but I do own a pair of the speaker boxes with the 2 10's and the red eye tweeter, and a Carvin PA head. When I'm bring the sound to a gig, I plug my bass into a direct box and into the Carvin amp with those two speakers, and it sounds great! :D I don't know that much about the Carvin bass amp, but if it's compares with the rest of the Carvin stuff I have, I'd say GRAB IT!

I don't have experience with the Crate stuff, so I won't comment on them.

As it's been said before in this forum, if you can, try before you buy. But Carvin does have a terrific return policy if you're not satisfied.

BTW, this is NOT spam, and I don't work for Carvin.

I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

I can't say anything about those particular pieces, BUT:

I've had my Carvin Pro ll since '89. I had 1 problem with it, sent it back, it was fixed (internal fuse), they sent it back "No Charge", and all's been cool since.

Lots of good features; and outside of that initial problem, it's been a workhorse. Good price, good sound, good customer service/support, versatile.

I use it every day. Maybe not as good as some of what's available, but if $$$ is an issue, it's worth checking out. They give you some time to try it...If you don't like it, send it back (granted, it will cost you shipping).

As for Crate...my experience has been: questionable. Innexpensive (relatively), but I don't like the overall sound/tone...It could be personal preferrence.

What do your EARS like? I say take the chance...

JBFLA

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

The bassist in a band that my old band played shows with a lot had that crate and I used it a few times, I didn't like it much, didn't seem to be able to the kind of highs out of it that I like. Just my personal opinion though, all that matters is if you like it.
I'm out my league like Jordan was in baseball

I've never been impressed by Crate bass amps...Jeff Berlin's endorsements notwithstanding.

Carvin's stuff has improved a lot in recent years...I'd take a look at some of their higher-end combos and heads/cabinets.

In that price range, though, there's a lot to choose from. Check out GK's line of heads/cabinets. I was impressed with their 2X10 combos.

10" speakers really are a necessity for bass in my opinion. I've never really gotten any clarity out of bigger speakers, unless they've been paired with 10s.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

I10" speakers really are a necessity for bass in my opinion. I've never really gotten any clarity out of bigger speakers, unless they've been paired with 10s.

Ben, I used to think that as well until I bought my Accugroove 112. Of course there is a six-inch in the cab as well.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I played through THE worst-sounding amp about a week ago at a show -- it was a Carvin. Sounded like absolute ass. It wasn't as nice of an amp as the one you're looking at here, but it was a Carvin all the same -- a 4x10 cab and one of the big fuzz-covered heads with lots of knobs and a graphic EQ. Sorry I don't remember the model name. I'm sure they make decent products sometimes, but this thing I used simply blew.

I'd really recommend hearing one before buying it. I don't like spending cash and getting suprised with shitty tone. It makes me mad, and then I smack people around.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived