Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Eden the Metro, EQ settings

Helge Lund

Hi, I use an eden the metro combo together with an eden xlt210 cab. I play a Status energy bass. I wonder if somebody could guide me through the world of EQ settings. I know that it's the ear that's rules, but...

reg.'s

Helge (the norwegian)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an Eden Metro, I don't pay any attention to numbers. Just take the knobs one at a time, move the knob until it sounds like what you want to hear. Sorry to be so blunt about it but as you stated it is about the ears. There is not just one right setting even for me. It varies from room to room and on what bass I'm using.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I find my Eden WT300 head through my Eden D210T cab sounds great with all the EQ settings set flat (12 o'clock), and the enhance control set to between 10 & 12 o'clock. I have experimented with the EQ endlessly, but always come back to this no-brainer setting. At the very least I think you'll find this to be a good starting point.

My bass is a Spector Pro Q4 with EMG HZ pickups.

Set all of your EQ flat -- including any onboard preamp EQ on your bass. Play your bass. Then play your bass while you experiment with the "enhance" control. Find the setting(s) you like using only the enhance control.

Now, set your enhance for one of your preferred settings, experiment with the EQ controls while you play to see how they shape your sound -- one control at a time! I'd start with just the bass and then just the treble and then each of the semi-parametric mid controls (there are three, right?). This will help you get a sense of what each EQ control is doing, and then you can experiment with different EQ combinations. You may find, like Edendude did, that you want to leave most of the EQ alone and only use the "enhance" control.

Oh yeah, you're talking about the Metro, which has two channels. The semi-parametric EQ is only on Channel 2. Experiment first just with Channel 1, which has a simple 3-knob bass-mid-treble EQ. Again, adjusting only one EQ control at a time.

One last tip, especially with a semi-parametric EQ, often you get better sounding results by cutting some frequencies rather than boosting others. This can be particularly effective if you're adjusting your EQ for a particular room/hall/venue.

Enjoy your EQing adventure!

Peace, y'all.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's how I set the EQ knobs on my Eden CXC-300 combo.

Gain: 12 o'clock

Enhance: 10:30

Lows: 2:00

Low Mids: 2 and 2

Mids: 12 and 12

High Mids: 1 and 1

Treble: 1:00

Hopefully that at least gets you closer to your ideal tone. Give it a try and you can always tweak from there if it's not the tone you're after. :)

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Set all of your EQ flat -- including any onboard preamp EQ on your bass. Play your bass. Then play your bass while you experiment with the "enhance" control. Find the setting(s) you like using only the enhance control.

Now, set your enhance for one of your preferred settings, experiment with the EQ controls while you play to see how they shape your sound -- one control at a time! I'd start with just the bass and then just the treble and then each of the semi-parametric mid controls (there are three, right?). This will help you get a sense of what each EQ control is doing, and then you can experiment with different EQ combinations. You may find, like Edendude did, that you want to leave most of the EQ alone and only use the "enhance" control.

Oh yeah, you're talking about the Metro, which has two channels. The semi-parametric EQ is only on Channel 2. Experiment first just with Channel 1, which has a simple 3-knob bass-mid-treble EQ. Again, adjusting only one EQ control at a time.

One last tip, especially with a semi-parametric EQ, often you get better sounding results by cutting some frequencies rather than boosting others. This can be particularly effective if you're adjusting your EQ for a particular room/hall/venue.

Enjoy your EQing adventure!

Peace, y'all.

Good advice. This is exactly what you should do. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200... OK, well, you _can_ collect the $200 if you can weasel it out of the bastards.

There is no ultimate EQ setting on an amp. It's going to sound different from bass to bass and player to player. Person A with amp X, cab Y, and bass Z is going to sound different than Person B with the EXACT same setup; even if the EQ settings are the same. Jaco was right when he said 'it's in the hands'.

Archived