Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A new shot of #5 and the "5" bass.

The Bear Jew

Yo...

Thought I'd share a spankin' new stage shot of our man, #5 (also known as Marky) playing his custom "#5" jazz bass at The Bridge St. Music Hall in Syracuse, NY two weeks ago. He went and sprayed his tortoise-shell pickguard with silver-chrome paint to match his "V" logo. Looks MUCH better now. Also, you can see my Mesa-Boogie/SWR rig (he uses my rig because it's better than his) pretty clearly in the background.

http://images.mp3.com/mp3s/114/resources/158/687/files/15868704.jpg

He's my special guy...

I'm getting all choked up here.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kewl Man! Glad to hear #5 is lockin' in and layin' it down. :thu:

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Very cool custom bass. But wouldn't it have been more appropriate for the custom V bass for #5 to have been a 5 string?

Or maybe I'm taking the 5 theme a bit too far.

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Hush, Nick... he might hear you. That's what Marky (#5) wanted. I convinced him that the extra string was bad juju and asked him to get a quality four-stringer instead. It's what our music requires. A five-string would be bad. We made Marky ditch his Cort fiver when he joined the band in September. It's one of our little rules -- no seven-string guitars, five string basses or double kick pedals allowed in the band.

We don't like that crap over here in the CMDN camp. It confuses us.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

CMDM,

Word.

Strong believer in the power of four. The low B makes a pretty spiffy thumb rest though.

OK, I'm a luddite. not going to earn me any points here. But nine times out of ten when I hear the notes below the e, especially below the d, I just shudder. I just aint right, I tell ya what.

D.

Fellas...

If this was a different kind of band, I'd totally agree about using a five-string. However, there is a certain sound we're seeking for our music, and the "modern" sound of a fiver just doesn't fit into that sonic picture. We hate those zany low notes. We want an old-schoolish, classic sound -- something like a P-bass, an SG bass or a Jazz. Marky agreed to this when he joined the band. It was one of our pre-requisites for joining. He already owned a Cort fiver, but we asked him to ditch it in order to fit the tone of the band better. The low notes just don't fit.

So he got the custom Jazz four-string. It's kind of the best of both worlds. Feels modern, looks cool, but sounds old-school.

Patrick...

I'll be playing guitar in my stoner band. The bassist will be playing a custom 12-string bass tuned to C. Yikes.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by CMDN:

Patrick...

I'll be playing guitar in my stoner band. The bassist will be playing a custom 12-string bass tuned to C. Yikes.

Is this the custom 12 that will be tuned chromatically allowing the bassist to play entire tunes on open strings? :eek:;):eek::rolleyes:

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Is this the custom 12 that will be tuned chromatically allowing the bassist to play entire tunes on open strings?
Um... wow.

Nah, I think it's got the strings set up in sets of three. It sounds huge and ridiculous. Love it.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Extremely cool bass. When can we expect the Fender Artist Signature Series version?
Haaah....

As soon as Fender recognises an artist who isn't on one of those douchebag major labels. I'd settle for a string endorsement.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Erik, is that the Dean Rhapsody 12 string bass? I know a guy that's got one of those. It's much like an 8 string bass, on with one more string per set. So, it is basically tuned eeEaaAddDggG. But you're tuning to C, in fourths, or fifths? Or some wacky combination of letters? It'd be interesting to hear you folks. The 12 string does have quite an unusual sound to it...I don't like them merely because the neck is fargin' huge. I'd like to see a custom 12 that is your average 6string bass, but with the single octave. That'd be pretty cool, eh?

Patrick...

It's a Galveston 12-string.

Looks like this:

http://www.12stringbass.com/12string2.jpg

We're tuning to "drop-C," which is C,G,C,F. The strings look like this: one big puppy (the lower octave) and two small guys tuned in unison. It's HUGE sounding. It makes us sound stupidly heavy. I love it.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Hmmm, I played a Galveston once....it sounded worse than a Squier on a bad day. It was an oldie, though...they might be better these days. But yeah, that's one big mofo... And that drop C, that's the same drop C that SoaD uses, right? I believe so...

Anywho, those things are too massive for my hands, so I'll leave it to the smaller 5- and 6-strings.

I dunno if SOAD is in "drop-C" or whatever, but that tuning is some ridiculous-sounding shit.

Chris did a little tweaking on his Galveston, so I doubt if it's totally stock... that's probably why it sounds so nice.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Great pic CMDN - thanks !!

Settle for a string endorsement? I hear ya. Though I always kinda hoped for Jim Bergantino to favor me :D After all, I play a couple of bar gigs a year !! :eek:

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived