Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lack of interest in my own band

Mike H.

Here's the skinny:

I am currently in a band that I love the music and the musicians I'm playing with are great. We're shameless and will play most anything from Brown Eyed Girl to Heavy Metal to please a crowd. The problem being a couple things. The guitarist's & singer are both pilots in the Air Force and are gone for 6 week stints and home for 2-4 depending on when the Air Force decides they need to go again. The other is that our drummer moved home to California after finishing flight school here.

Here's the other flip to the coin - we have a drummer who is good and could easily fill the void. The problem being that it's hard to break him in when these guys aren't back long enough to really rehearse regularely, much less commit to a definite night to gig. On top of that, we've given the drummer CD's to learn the tunes, and when he shows up to practice, he doesn't have a single song down. :confused:

Thoughts?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll give my advice in Euros today, so here's my E0.02: Get a new band. The air force punks won't be able to commit much more than siamese twins can for a single date. The drummer is a punk for moving back home, obviously. The other drummer is a punk for not learning the tunes. Maybe this should be telling you something....start a punk band. It's the only way to go, man. Or just find a completely different band altogether. Just my E0.02 worth!

Originally posted by jeremyc:

Who besides yourself is actually in this band?

The few of you who want to do it and are able to do it should be looking far and wide for people who would like to be in a band.

Or maybe out there in North Dakota there isn't anybody else and you're stuck.

Good luck.

The band is myself, guitarist/singer, guitarist, drummer searching. The biggest problem is finding a good FRONTMAN that can get the crowd into it. Keith (singer/guitar) is fantastic at it and by far the best I've seen around the area. Drummers are getting easier to come by, though in the past 2 years you couldn't find one anywhere. And if you did, they didn't have drums. Looking "far and wide" would mean going to Fargo (80 miles south) and finding someone willing to commute. So, it's a big pain no matter how I look at it really.

You could get a different band. Not get rid of the original one, mind you, but just look for new players to jam with. If anything, you will find that playing will help you in the (rare, or so it sounds) times your original band plays, and it will keep you busy in the interim.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

matt has a good idea. if you're really into this here band, find another to jam with to keep your spirits up. otherwise, quit. if you're worried about hurting your friends feelings, i'm sure they can't really argue with you if you point out to them that you need to play more than 2 or 3 times every other month while these guys are in town. as for the drummer, if this guy can't or, even worse, won't learn the music then to hell with him.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Sounds like your the one making all the sacrafices in this band and the one doing all the stressing. You got drummers going walkabout and the guitarists are flying around having a ball. Some things your should consider.

1. Bass players are not the doormats of the music world.

2. I recomend you quit the band, I usually find the best way is to get into a punch up with the guitarist. What the hey 2 guitarists and 2 fists it must be part of some divine master plan i say go for it.

3. But if you enjoy playing with these guys for 2 out of every 8 weeks then join another band or find some guys to jamm with, where i come from this is quite normal.

4. In Oz our pubs often have a dedicated muso's jamm night - do you have em? Have you tried em? They are a great place to network in a musical sense.

5. Don't be afraid to upset the other guys, if you see them for 2 out of 8 weeks then they are only in a quarter of your life. Let them search for another bass player and drummer.

Just some thoughts. :D

Providence over serendipity any day.

I appreciate the props, Bastid E.

The situation I described is pretty much the one I'm currently in. I've been with my band now for 2 years, its entire life. I've been through 3 recording sessions, many gigs, countless hours of web site design, graphic design, CD production, recording studio arrangements, songwriting, etc. I've spent a lot of time and resources on this band. The problem is that they are a couple years my junior (they are all college freshmen this year) and, while skilled (save the singer), we do not form a cohesive whole. The songs are pretty good, and they are played well, but I know that there's no place in any market for our music. The furthest we'll go is our local market. I can't leave, mind you, without being branded a quitter, and my brother's the guitarist, so there's blood to contend with. What did I do? I left my prospects open and several weeks ago I joined a new band, formed of much more experienced players (with an excellent singer). This new band has catchy songs, passion, and a wonderful bluesy-rock feel that I know people go out to see in my area. I didn't quit the other band, so not I've got two bands and this combination can't help but be a good thing. Neither band has scheduling conflicts, and I get my name out there twice as often by playing with both bands.

sounds like you're holdin the band together... try talkin to them about it and say you don't wanna stay together as a band unless there's some decent commitment.
- roses on your breath but graveyards on your soul -

Try not to be upset with the Air Force pilots. I was in the Navy for twenty years and it was difficult to commit to a band, knowing I could be going to sea anytime. I told each group of musicians early on that this could be a problem, and either not use me, or if they don't mind, have another bassist on standby. About 50 percent of the time, I was the standby bassist, which was no problem.

As for the drummer who won't listen to his CD 'homework' music, I'd give him a choice real fast to either get on board, or get out. No time for slackers. If he doesn't understand that time is a crunch, with the two pilots spare time, then IMHO it's a reflection of his character, and there's no telling where else he's gonna drop the ball. Just me...I'm getting older and less tolerant anymore :)

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

I like fig's thinking. The drummer has to get to work (or you've really got nothing).

If this band has to change gears to accomodate the pilots (and that's gonna get worse before it gets better), that's fine, because the band sounds like it's good for you. If it's no longer "enough", find something else. Maybe something different (coffee house, metal, whatever).

You work in a music store, so I'd guess you have access to lots of folks and events.

Congrats on once again showing how the bassist is the "rock" behind more than just the rhythm!!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Fig, you've got a point well made that I knew going in. I'm not blaming the pilots at all, I knew it going in, and (as most of us do) it's their day job. I can't blame them for keeping the planes fueled in the air.

The other side of the coin is that I've pretty much blown this drummer of now. He called me last week to see if I wanted to jam this week with their band. I said "Sure." and to get me at least a set list(so I can download tunes) or a CD to start learning. Here it is Monday and not a call or anything. Rediculous. I was talking to a coworker that knew who he was, and echoed his lack of ambition and his talent.

I am going to take up a jam with one of our drum instructors and a guitarist that he knows. Perhaps something will come of it. I also know another local college guy that's itching to get his drum set up here and play. Possibly another good prospect. Then it's to determine what we want to play and find the players to fill it in. The hard part.

well it's nice to know that there are others with the same problems As mine. I have been playing with My younger brother and a drummer who hasn't improved any in four years. My brother is getting better by leaps and bounds but he has only played for a year and a half and really doesn't have enough technique for some of the stuff I have wrtitten. It is a fun band but it isn't getting it as far as inspiration. I have done all of the recording, the website, the writing, and I even get to teach the others all of their parts.This past weekend I hooked up with a drummer from the local music website and he brought a couple of his friends with him. We clicked like mad. Played a freestyle Jam for a full hour right out of the gate. With any luck I will be playing with these guys on a regular basis. I am hoping that it will give me a lot more paitence with my current situation.

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

Yeah, my old band has finally pushed me over the edge. You know the kind- a young band with ovbious issues (like a singer without singing ability and a total lack of perception about their musical future together) but at the same time just cannot resolve those issues. My younger bro's the guitar player (quite good in a non-schooled way) and the drummer is phenomenal. Talent though (where it may lie) does not make the band. The players have to share a common link onstage and we never have. They are going at life like they are the next big thing but I can't ever see them playing a show again. So, I said my peace last night and pretty much left. If something doesn't feel right, then it probably isn't right. I've got better things to do than learn songs I'll never play and update a website with fabricated news, so that's it- I'm outta there and looking upward and onward to my new band, stoneframe .

Archived