Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help!

Chris985

Alright I'm a student at Mississippi State and I called a band that needed a bass player...SO they called me back right before the superbowl kickoff and told me to show up tomorrow at 5...and that they were going to record....any advice from all you veterans? Any help would be much appreciated....

Chris

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on what you've posted, I've got to agree with D.

2 possibilites -

1. They're in the studio, already paid for the time, and need ANYBODY to put down the tracks - not likely.

2. They're recording the auditions, to go back for a "re-listen". Decades ago (hehe), the saying was "The tape don't lie." After listening to numerous bassists play (more or less) the same stuff, the objective listen to what was recorded on tape can be crucial.

So, (as D said) " Don't suck!"

Good Luck!

JBFLA

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Read the recent posts from zujo (or "how not to audition a bassist") and from Bumpcity (he's got a Bryan Beller article). See if that helps.

I'll go with the relax thing as well.

Good luck !!

Let us know what happens, what they do, and how it goes....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

My God, man... Don't relax! Freak out! Worry! Be concerned! You may not be good enough! You may not be handsome enough! You may cause grievous harm to befall your family and friends if you screw this up!

Nah.. Just kidding.

Go in there and do your thing. Either they'll want you or they won't. You're a bassist, for crying out loud. Bands need us. If these fools don't want ya, someone else will. Don't worry. Either way... you're still gonna be OK.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Buona fortuna.

Relax and enjoy yourself.

Go and read some existentialists' work today (just for the heckuv it) and come to the conclusion that whether you get into this band or not (whether or not you have a great audition) is really out of your hands. What is meant to happen will happen. If that doesn't help you relax, nothing will!

In French class back in high school we had to read "L'Etranger" ("The Stranger") by Camus. To really get in the spirit you could listen to the Cure's song "Killing an Arab," based on Camus' book -- and learn that cool descending chromatic riff in fifths at the same time.

dcr, our resident philosopher king, can probably be more articulate about existentialism than I can!

Let us know how it goes!

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Wow, 1 days notice! Did they give you any material to listen to, have you jammed with them before? Anyway, go for it. Grab the horn by the bulls!!

SweetWillie, was that Camus book not called "the Outsider?" I can't find my copy to check. Sounds like a cool teacher!

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Archived