Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

perfect match head and cabinet

bassa

Hi guys, just found this great forum on the web. i'm a poor german student and I just joined a rock band, after years of playin in funk cover bands. I have never experienced such a wall of guitar sound before, so how do I get the attention I deserve for my bass playing? I don't have a lot of money and the german market for used equipment (even ebay) is bad, prices for new gear are ridiculous.

anyway, I managed to get a warwick sonic III amp with 300 watts at 4 ohm, and now I'm looking for the right cabinet. options are: 8 ohm or 4 ohm, peavey black widow 15 inch cabinet (350w), the new hartke vx series (which is not available here yet, but should I wait, these are 8ohm speakers). I really think I'll need a speaker that brings out all the amps power so I can compete with my two 4*12 stack guitar friends. what do you think? I'm thankful for every little piece of information...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll get the most power by getting a 4 ohm cabinet...300 watts should see you through fine in that situation w/ the right cabinet.

Get yourself a 4X10. 10" speakers tend to cut better...I used to play in a band with three guitarists...all with 100 watt tube amps and I had no problems being audible with 300 watts.

SWR, Eden, Ampeg are good models. I haven't heard the Warwick cabinets, but I imagine they're good. Trace Elliott gear has a lot of respect as well, although I'm not fond of it myself (Graphic EQ for bass? Too much...).

I don't like Hartke speakers at all, but many people do...play through as many different models as you can...you'll find something you like.

Do as much research as you can about what's out there. I discovered my Acme cabinet after doing some online searching, bought one without even knowing what it really sounded like, and I've been ultra happy. Good luck.

How much money do you have to spend?

Yep...

Hunting down a 4x10 is very good advice! More cut in the mids than a fifteen, and more low end also.

See if you can find a used SWR Workingman's 4x10T out there, bro. Probably the best value out there in a 4x10 cab. On the other hand, if you come across an SWR Golliath 4x10 cab for a good price, that's even better.

Thank you very much for your help guys... but all the 4*10 I can find are at 8 Ohm, would't that take a lot of the power that my 300w@4ohm could give on a 4 ohm cabinet. remember, i have to put up with two 4*12 guitarists...

thanks again

You'd be surprised how loud many 8 ohm 4x10 cabs are. Loudness is actually more dependent on cab efficiency than outright power.

For example...

If I run my Eden WT300 though my 8 ohm 4x10 cab, which will draw about 175 watts, it's only marginally less loud than when I power through it with 350 watts at 8 ohms from my GK-1001RB head.

But...

If I run my Eden WT300 head through my 8 ohm 4x10 cab, it's MUCH louder, even at only 175 watts, than my GK through my 4 ohm Eden 2x10 cab. In which case the GK is putting out a whopping 540 watts!

So...in this scenario...175 watts is louder than 540 watts. Surprised?

well my dear american friends, I think I might have found something. It is of german parentage is called a SAD (sieben audio design) 410, 300w@8ohms, which used to sell for about 589 and I get to buy it for 400. according to some german bass player magazines it is the best you can get for the money (589), but that may be because its german, i dont know and dont hope so either. it has tweeter anyway that can be turned off and adjusted. I think I'll be fine. SAD seems to cooperate with gallienkrueger in some way. ill tell you what its like as soon as I get it.

Maybe i'll just get a 115 one day as well, and then...i can kick almost any guitarist's dumb grooveless ass....yes....

Archived