Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

eSPAM solution?

so any programmers out there know of a way to "tele-zap" email spam? i recently got a Tele-Zap phone thing that supposedly send out a tone and thing to those computer dialing telemarketers which "tells" the computer that the phone is disconnected. there should be a way to do this with email. something you could hit to "reject" certain email so it sends it back as "undeliverable" does this exist? where can i get it? or could this be possible?

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your best bet is to get your internet service provider to put in some sort of filtering software. Brightmail is a populer one for this. There are some products designed for end-users, but none of them work very well. (that I've seen) Most e-mail packages include some sort of filtering function; delete all the messages with "free, credit, sex, etc..." in the subject line, and you can get rid of a lot of junk. Spammers will fake return addresses, so sending an undeliverable won't do any good. For the first time there are bills in congress that have gotten some real legs to them, that will toughen up the laws on spammers. Hopefully they will pass, and we can start to stem this tide of junk.

My main email address is all over my site, so it's a prime target for spam mining etc. When I started getting spam there I was concerned the address would get renderred unusable. The support people at my hosting site suggested checking this out: http://www.spamcop.net I set up a free account there, using a bogus hotmail account as the return address. Once you have an account there you can simply paste the full headers of any spam email into a web based form, and it sends reports to all network administrators involved with the source of the email. Almost without exception, the people sending that sort of spam are violating some contract with some provider. This is better than trying to filter this stuff out...which by the way, isn't really feasible. It gets the sender shut down...fast. I made sure to report every new spam I got, and the spam tapered off more and more. Now I get none...zero. I have no filter of any kind...my email is all over forums and my site...and I get nothing but valid emails. Fight back. It works. Tom

http://www.digitalaudiorock.com

The Protools Plugin Preset Co-op

[quote] [b]Your best bet is to get your internet service provider to put in some sort of filtering software. [/b] [/quote]But my ISP is the source of a lot of my spam!
It's not a successful climb unless you enjoy the journey

[quote]Originally posted by tld: [b] http://www.spamcop.net Fight back. It works. Tom[/b][/quote]Thanks for this info, Tom. I'll be hitting them from my home computer tonight! (my ISP has filtering software but it doesn't seem to work at all).

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Archived