Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Come see music-man (on cello !!)

Tom Capasso

He's too shy to post this, but I saw this show in December, and really enjoyed it!! I own MichalTheGirl's CD and love it, so it's no surprise that I like the music. Here's the notice from www.michalthegirl.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Friday January 31, 2003

The Sidewalk Café -- 8:30pm

94 Ave. A (Corner of Ave. A & 6th St.)

New York, NY

Back by popular demand - the MICHAL THE GIRL ACOUSTIC SHOW with special guest Ken Hashimoto on cello. The audience has been loving these shows. Some comments have been "This is the best I've seen you EVER!! You MUST do this again!" So, ok, we're doing it again. Come keep us company. You'll have a great time!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Come down and say hi. And if you haven't met me yet, I'll be the guy singing the harmony from the table (oh - that's so obnoxious...)

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely atypically, I have this friday available. I hope to see as many lowdowners there as possible!

Break a leg, Ken!

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Kinda hard to get there from here but for what it's worth, I'd be there if I was an East Coast beach bum instead of a West Coast beach bum.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

whoa -

hadn't seen this before. Thanks for the plug, Tom.

I never trumpet gigs at Sidewalk Cafe (as some of the NYC crowd will know), cause it's VERY low-key; no cover (!), cheap drinks, and we're only playing for tips ...

If you're inclined to come out, I don't know any of the other bands playing Friday night ... but I like playing with Michal because she's a bit edgier than (INSERT: newest female soulful folk singer) - she's more of a rocker than a folk artist. Then again, I'm playing cello (through a Pod and my little WM10), and she's playing acoustic guitar for this set, so "rock" will be somewhat stripped down...

Should be fun, and I'll share my drink ticket with whoever's there (well, maybe).

(oh - I'll be playing with another band, bass/cello, at Southpaw in Brooklyn next Friday too ... I'll send an Email to all of you usual suspects).

Thanks again, Tom!

The fights where very entertaining. One of the fights lasted only 54 seconds into the first round. This poor guy did not know what hit him.

Golden Gloves are very well run .

The refs are right on top of the boxers and there are several doctors at ringside. The beer stand is close too....

Overall we saw about 12 fights - some where real slug fests and others where hackers just swinging away. The event was hosted by Local 3 the electricians union so there where some great hecklers in the crowd...

We go every year... :cool:

www.danielprine.com

I made it there, but I've been behind here on the board.

Like I've said, I love Michal The Girl. Great songs, great voice. Her CD gets into my rotation a few times a year. The CD is mostly a rock band (some other guy played bass), but there are songs with music-man playing cello.

This was the second time I'd seen Michal and music-man do this acoustic show. It's really cool. Music-man is an awesome cello player. While Michal is banging away on guitar, music-man plays a combination of bass parts, background notes, or solo fills. He bows, he plays pizz, and is just fantastic. He adds the perfect counterpoint and accompanyment to the songs. He is a joy to watch as well, because he is clearly lost in the music.

He's got a Zeta electric cello, a guitar POD, volume pedal, and SWR WM10. Unfortunately last week they hung a mic down from his amp to put him thru the house (last time he was taken DI), so the mix wasn't always optimum. Still a great sound, and a wonderful music experience. I brought a guitar player with me (I'm starting a coffee house thing with him and a female singer). My friend had a great time as well, and mentioned how proficient music-man is. An inspiring time was had by all !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Music-man, want to lay out some self-aggrandizing reviews?

Well ... I'll tell ya, some moderators just have it in their blood. I parked my little cart full of combo-amp/effects next to Tom while I checked in with the Michal (the singer-songwriter) before the show. I unpacked my axe, walked back up toward stage ... and there was Tom, hauling my gear up on stage (!!). The guy even untangled the spaghetti-mess I managed to make of my cords before we started playing. :thu:

Was a decent show; low-stress, and an appreciative crowd. Props to Tom for the appearance, and for the support all around!!

Tom did the same thing at my gig. :D

Everyone in the band was like "Dude, you have a roadie, now?" He even helped us with the PA! :thu:

Sorry I missed it, Ken. Let me know when you're playing again, I'd like to check it out.

Archived