Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Dude, you LOOK like a Bass Player...."

DanYmaL X

One of my co-workers said today that I 'Look like a Bass Player.'

That got me thinking... 'There's a 'Bass Player' look?'

(If what my co-worker said is true, then a Bass Player is of average height, slightly out of shape, with long hair, a goatee and a preference for Hawaiian style shirts.)

That said, I'm posing the question to the rest of you...

What does a Bass Player look like?

DanYmal X

:cool:

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely, there's a bass player look, or at least personality.

We had a nice talk about this last March....revive this thread about bassplayer traits if you are interested.

As far as looks go, there was a really neat topic about closet bassplayers on TV. This thread gives some insight on bass player personality, and looks, as well. Fictional bass players was one of the most entertaining threads we've had around here.

Read the threads, if you want to put them back into circulation, just post a reply to either one.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Hmmm, average height...is 5'4" average?

I'm definitely a bit out of shape, but we have to be able to hold that extra weight for extended periods of time. Guitars are so light, in comparison.

I have semi-long hair.

The facial hair isn't really working for me that well yet, so I'm clean shaven, but thinking of sideburns when they decide to grow long enough.

I have no problem with Hawaiian tshirts, either. I kind of like them, actually. Especially unbuttoned, a white tshirt underneath, a pair of Birks and a pair of green shorts. Looks like a cool guy to me (hey, that is me, nevermind).

Originally posted by ibescotty:

I've been told that I look like a bassoon player. I'm not sure how to take that though....

Hey, I've been told the same thing... wait, no, she said 'Baboon,' not 'Bassoon...' nevermind.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Lately I've noticed a ton of bald bass players (unusual face hair optional) in a bunch of modern rock bands. Well, at least in the modern rock bands that the singer isn't sporting the bald look.
Ah, nice marmot.

Originally posted by Scootdog:

Lately I've noticed a ton of bald bass players (unusual face hair optional) in a bunch of modern rock bands. Well, at least in the modern rock bands that the singer isn't sporting the bald look.

Hey, I resemble that remark. :D

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Aggghhhh....

I encountered one of these rotten, stereotypical bassists at a gig in VA once.

He was about 5'8" tall with a ponytail, short goatee, a little gut and a horrid Jimmy Buffet-esque Hawaiian shirt. He had a slight lisp and a loud voice reminiscent of Jim Carrey's "Fire Marshall Bill" character from In Living Color. He played a 5-string custom bass of some sort with a huge rack of stuff that went into a giant cabinet. His other job (besides playing bass) involved some sort of bounty hunting service. He kept laughiing this awful laugh -- "Hyar Hyar HYAR HYAR hyarhyarhyarhyarhyar!!!" After his band played (and he ruined their sound by jumping all over the songs and stepping on the vocals), he stood outside of the club and told bounty hunting stories at the top of his lungs to three people who looked like they wanted to run away and hide. I was sitting there cracking up, because he just looked like an incredible douchebag. Our bassist, who was trying to sleep in our van, which was parked about 50 feet away, was not amused in the least. He later told me he kept hearing this asshole's laugh in his dreams. Finally, our man #5 opened the van door and screamed, "SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU ANNOYING ASSHOLE! NOBODY CARES!" and glared at the guy. I was dying.

Whenever I think of bassists in Hawaiian shirts... I think of that guy. Please... bassists of the world... don't be that guy. Ever.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by Scootdog:

As my hairline retreats I've been considering the skinned look. If skin is in why not!!

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Originally posted by CMDN:

Aggghhhh....

I encountered one of these rotten, stereotypical bassists at a gig in VA once.

He was about 5'8" tall with a ponytail, short goatee, a little gut and a horrid Jimmy Buffet-esque Hawaiian shirt. He had a slight lisp and a loud voice reminiscent of Jim Carrey's "Fire Marshall Bill" character from In Living Color. He played a 5-string custom bass of some sort with a huge rack of stuff that went into a giant cabinet. His other job (besides playing bass) involved some sort of bounty hunting service. He kept laughiing this awful laugh -- "Hyar Hyar HYAR HYAR hyarhyarhyarhyarhyar!!!" After his band played (and he ruined their sound by jumping all over the songs and stepping on the vocals), he stood outside of the club and told bounty hunting stories at the top of his lungs to three people who looked like they wanted to run away and hide. I was sitting there cracking up, because he just looked like an incredible douchebag. Our bassist, who was trying to sleep in our van, which was parked about 50 feet away, was not amused in the least. He later told me he kept hearing this asshole's laugh in his dreams. Finally, our man #5 opened the van door and screamed, "SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU ANNOYING ASSHOLE! NOBODY CARES!" and glared at the guy. I was dying.

Whenever I think of bassists in Hawaiian shirts... I think of that guy. Please... bassists of the world... don't be that guy. Ever.

Its dudes like that that give us respectable hawaiian shirt wearing bassists a bad name... just so you know, he has been officially 'drummed out' of the EOHSWBP... we pulled his card and he has been fined for being a complete asshole.

DX

(for those of you who care: EOHSWBP = Eternal Order of Hawaiian Shirt Wearing Bass Players. patrick_dont_fret and I are the founding members. DX)

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Thank god the EOHSWBP is on the job. I'd hate to think of this guy out in the world, doing more damage to the reputations of hard-working, hawaiian shirt-wearing bassists.

To this day, if I wanna make #5 cringe, all I have to do is imitate this dildo's laugh.

BTW, #5 is about 6' tall, has a very short "Abe Lincoln" beard, short hair and would never, ever dare wear a hawaiian shirt in public, especially after meeting this asswipe. I don't think he fits a "typical" bassist stereotype.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

We have decided as a gesture of goodwill to induct #5 into the EOHSWBP as an honorary member, as our way of apologizing for the hardship and trauma caused by his previous less than positive experiences.

#5 should be getting his membership card in the mail shortly.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Well, I'd wear the Hawaiian shirt (and have - at the BBQ party at my drummer's house, not in a bar). And I'd wear black. I guess I'm versatile ( :rolleyes: )

I don't think there is a "bass player look". I don't see any correlation of looks among the players I've met (either Low Down folks or otherwise). Personality - yes, looks - no. We're even ugly in different ways (see www.uglybassplayer.com for more proof).

If somehow they think you look like a bassoon player, that's fine. Bassoon is one of the bass instruments in a concert band or orchestra (my daughter played it for years). I always hoped I looked like a contrabass clarinet player, but I don't cut it. Our old friend greenboy probably looks like a contrabass sarrousaphone player..

dbb - thanks for mentioning those threads. I'm going to take a look later...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

Well, I'd wear the Hawaiian shirt (and have - at the BBQ party at my drummer's house, not in a bar). And I'd wear black. I guess I'm versatile ( :rolleyes: )

The EOHSWBP grows by yet another venerable member!

dbb - thanks for mentioning those threads. I'm going to take a look later...

Some of those posts are hilarious! I wish I'd found this forum a long time ago...

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Originally posted by danymal_x:

(for those of you who care: EOHSWBP = Eternal Order of Hawaiian Shirt Wearing Bass Players. patrick_dont_fret and I are the founding members. DX)

Whoa, cool. So who's el presidente? Vice el presidente? El secretario? El parliamentariano? El seargant-at-armso? If you can't tell, I don't speak Spanish...I speak a pretty good German, though. Pretty cool idea, though. Let's see if JDL wants to join...he can be something, I'm sure.

Oh yeah...

I bought #5 one of those "Ugly Bassplyer" hats for his birthday. He says it's the best gift he's ever gotten for his b-day.

He's the feller in the middle. I dunno if he looks like a bassist per se, but most people say he looks like a reject from Oz.

I'm the dreadlocked feller on the end... and most of you guys know I play bass in another band. Bassist image stereotypes are pointless, huh?

http://images.mp3.com/mp3s/113/resources/146/897/files/14689713.jpg

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

God, I don't look like a musician at all. I've heard that a couple of times. A person can walk into a music store and a large percentage of the time, spot the players, whether it be look or attitude. Not me, though. I'm the one who gets ignored by the staff...like this older dude shouldn't even be hangin' around the bass racks.

Nope, no look about me. Short brown (greying) hair and goatee. I do gel and spike my hair for gigs. Only thing that's noticeable is that I'm 6'3" tall. Which, I think, fits some peoples image of a bassplayer. You know...tall, silent one in the back. Except I like to dance and move on stage.

....don't wear Hawaiian shirts anymore, though it seems to be a trend coming around in the lowdown world. Think I'll go to Walmart tonite..... :)

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Originally posted by fig:

....don't wear Hawaiian shirts anymore, though it seems to be a trend coming around in the lowdown world. Think I'll go to Walmart tonite..... :)

Sweeeet... we got another one!

Actually, for me the Hawaiian shirt thing is only natural, being a surfer and surfboard shaper as well as a bass player... but I have been known to wear other things... leather jacket, engineer boots etc, (no need to mention that these things don't go well with an Aloha pattern!)

My fav shirt is actually the West Coast Choppers shirt I usually wear onstage... its got the cool Iron Cross with flames logo... and it goes good with the boots.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Erik, you guys look like a punk group. You got the whole mean look down. And I do dig that UglyBassPlayer hat...been thinking of getting one of those toboggans for a while. Good look for a punk group though.
Punk? Nah.. punk bands these days tend to wear sports jerseys and have spiky, dyed hair. Plus, they're usually all white and skinny. They rarely look truly mean.

We DO look kinda like bad-asses, though, which is funny, since we're all a bunch of wussies. I think we just look like a rock band. Good thing, 'cause that's what we are.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Hmmm, I don't fit the bass player look as defined here. I'm 6', 195lbs, shaved head, goatee, funky mutton-chop sideburns, always wear black shirts(Slayer, Route 666, CBGB ect)/dark colored pants, black boots. I tend to think of a bass player as taller, long limbed, skinny. I got the tall(kinda) and long limbed thing going. Not the skinny though. Too many weights in the gym for that.
Don't ask me, I'm just the bass player.

Originally posted by thabassplayer:

Hmmm, I don't fit the bass player look as defined here. I'm 6', 195lbs, shaved head, goatee, funky mutton-chop sideburns, always wear black shirts(Slayer, Route 666, CBGB ect)/dark colored pants, black boots. I tend to think of a bass player as taller, long limbed, skinny. I got the tall(kinda) and long limbed thing going. Not the skinny though. Too many weights in the gym for that.

Dude, you're the guy I was talking about! I see you all the time on MTV2. Several hoop earrings too, right?
Ah, nice marmot.

Hawain shirts in Ireland? As useful as a handbrake in a canoe! Nope, I don't fit the bill. I'm 5ft 5 inches (well 4 and a half inches, but I like to round up, you never know when you might need half an inch) Have no facial hair (bar a nice pair of sidies) Yes my hair is long, but curly and never in a ponytail. I fail, bar some major surgery and a long time in leg braces I'll never be a "bass player" (some might wish to add 1000 lessons in here as well) Should I sell my gear?

P.S On the topic of gear, instead of me ressurecting that thread, I'll add here that my amp problems seem to have disappeared. We rehearse on Thur and Fri night and gig on Saturday so I'll know better then, but it seems the rehearsal rooms dodgy floor boards are the gremlins. I certainly hope so. I'd prefer that to the embarressment of posting a thread here that had nothing to do with gear reliablity and everything to do with cowboy builders.

CMDN, scary looking crowd you've fallen in with there, is your mother not worried?

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Hmmm.. I don't fit the bill either. I'm about 5'10" on a good day, a bit over weight (but fit - me and the drummer are about the only guys in the band strong enough to lug PA bass bins around), and need to see Sandy -the band stylist - about every 2-3 weeks for a color touch up to hide the gray.

I'm by far the most "mature" player in my groups, by about 12 years on average. The youngsters keep me hopin' though.

I don't know what "look" I have. I guess you see some good, older, overweight guys playing bass every now and again.

Hmm, I think bass players are either tall and lanky or short/average height and average built, but they're never short an skinny or tall with a full build. I can't remember EVER seeing a fat bass player (unless the guy's over fifty).

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by matt C:

Gee, I always thought that bass players were tall, dark, and extremely handsome. I figured, "ok, self, I already look the part, I might as well buy the instrument..."

or alternatively stunning female creatures oozing with attitude? Course..maybe thats just want I WANT to look like. :freak:
Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

Well I'd like to apply for the Hawaiian shirt wearing typical bass player gig.

My favorite look is hawaiian shirt with shorts and yes cowboy boots. My kids just love it when I look my natural dorky self. :D

I'm a 6' blonde with no facial hair, but probably tip the scales at around 240 lbs. There's more of me than I'd like, but I also lift weights every day.

Archived