Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roger Sadowsky, you're killing me

Mark Zeger

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the things that kills me is that there are plenty of fine luthiers out there.

I was very impressed with Roger's work when the NYC LowDown visited him last Nov. I played something very much like the posted picture. Beautiful to look at, beautiful sound, beautiful feel.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Anybody here who has Roger's bass? I found out that in Low Down LowDown very scarcely people talking about Sadowsky.

Mine is 1999 Modern5 #3179, Chris Swope signature. Ash-quilted maple on top-caramel sunburst. Maple neck-ebony fingerboard. Equipped with passive tone control option.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

BTW, Brandi, Roger's got a lefty 5-string in stock. You can go see it at his website.

Who says it's tough to find lefty basses?! :rolleyes:;)

She knows, Willie. She played it last November. It was probably good she played it back then, because she was so knew that the GAS was mild. Even now after a few months of lessons, playing that bass would severly damage the poor girl.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Hoagie:

Dude, that's not a nice thing to do to a GAS starved bunch. ;):thu: That is a sweet sweet bass.

Yeah, I'm cruel. Sue me.

Seriously, there was a thread a while back with a topic similar to "what bass would you buy, money no object". My choice was very close to this one.

Too bad I don't have an extra $3500 right now. Then again, who has ever had an extra $3500 laying around? I'm guessing about the price, but it's probably close.

Originally posted by Idnarb:

Yea.. a lefty 5 string in stock and a couple of grand will get me a bass :)

Whats with the GAS? This novice is lost.

GAS -- gear acquisition syndrome (a.k.a. gear lust)

The unescapable need to purchase or trade-in for new gear in the eternal quest for perfect tone and playability. Capasso wrote more about it on another thread. "Which thread?" you ask. "I don't remember," I reply.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I'll burst the collective bubble here and say that the bass does nothing for me. Each to their own I suppose (judging on looks here, I know nothing about these basses).

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Originally posted by CupMcMali:

I'll burst the collective bubble here and say that the bass does nothing for me. Each to their own I suppose (judging on looks here, I know nothing about these basses).

So, Cup, what bass does something for you if this one doesn't?

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Originally posted by Idnarb:

Yea.. a lefty 5 string in stock and a couple of grand will get me a bass :)

Whats with the GAS? This novice is lost.

GAS -- gear acquisition syndrome (a.k.a. gear lust)

The unescapable need to purchase or trade-in for new gear in the eternal quest for perfect tone and playability. Capasso wrote more about it on another thread. "Which thread?" you ask. "I don't remember," I reply.

Peace.

Ooooh... shopping. Yes..this Long Island girl understands that. ;)
Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

Well setting is very important, I like nice soft lighting and a few well placed scented candles, then....

Ohh, BASSES! I'm so in love with my Ric, I would feel so much guilt (and the need to confess) that I couldn't possibly look at another.

p.s. clean, satin bed linen is always essential ;)

Oh yeah, you're a Ric fan... I can see why the Sadowsky didn't do it for you... Rics are a whole different animal... (I like 'em too...)

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

i have all the respect in the worls for Roger Sadowsky- however, i must be honest here- i have set off to find the "magic" several times- i meann, comapring them to J style basses by Mike Lull, Lakland, etc.. and the boutique basses by F bass, MTD, Roscoe , etc... and i just cant see $3300 plus for a Fender style bass- even the Celinders i recently played at NAMM, and were KILLER j basses, started out lower that Sads...

i would certaily put out $3500 for THE bass, the one that would make me sound best and get THE gigs-- i make a living doing that - but i have to be honest.. i didnt see justification - i didnt hear TAHT sound.. sorry.. i know im going against the grain here...

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

$3000 is steep for a bass by any maker but the market will bear that price so we cannot blame the dealers for taking advantage of the situation.

Its a block of wood with some electronic componenets and screws.

We are paying for fine craftmanship and follow up service with all the builders.

With that said the Sadowsky bass comes equipped with his pre amp which is a significant part of the bass and "the magic". ( Aguilar deserves some credit here as well )

He has a huge client list of top players and the engineers swear by his active circuit. :)

www.danielprine.com

Originally posted by Dan South:

Three grand too much for a bass? How much do you guys spend on CARS? How much do you spend on JUNK food? Where are your PRIORITIES? :D

Hear hear...

If I had every dollar I've spent on Junk food since high school I could buy a whole quiver of $3000 basses, and a top of the line amp for each one!

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Archived