Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The one that got away...

JBFLA

My motives are selfish here...surely, SOMEONE else has let a prime bass slip through their hands. In my case - it was my 1st bass: a '63 P-Bass (sunburst, rosewood fretboard, played better than any subsequent bass I've owned except my MM Stingray). Bought from a bass player in a rock Band in Detroit for $125. I hadn't played ANY instrument before, but I loved the bass (....it was all down-hill from there, hehe). Sold it 2 years later for $350, to buy a ....nahhh, I ain't even gonna tell, it's embarrasing.

Anyone got any stories about the bass you'd give your eye-teeth to get back?

JBFLA

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll plead ignorance..

I was overwhelmed by my teacher (who played mostly upright - damn that Simandl book), but did sessions on a Les Paul Recording Bass...not that I could afford, or bought, one. But I settled for an (un)reasonable facsimile...Still shakin' my head after 25 years...

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Slipped by, or "boy I wish I woulda known..."

I didn't play bass yet in high school, but the school I went to had a black P-bass with the bridge cover, pickup cover, and thumb rest in the case. The school was started in '68 or so, so it may have been a classic... in the closet next to the Rhodes piano.

- Matt W.

Oh, I thought you were talking about girls... I woulda had something to talk about in that case...

...but in this case, nah. Sure, I've played basses that I couldn't afford and wished I could have, but I've never fretted (imagine that) over one. I've still got my first bass (after 3 years of playing), and I've still got my second bass. Had an old crap amp, but I'm glad that's gone. Now I've got a new semi-crap amp. Wishin' and a-dreamin' that I'll get a new one.

Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret:

I've still got my first bass (after 3 years of playing), and I've still got my second bass. Had an old crap amp, but I'm glad that's gone. Now I've got a new semi-crap amp. Wishin' and a-dreamin' that I'll get a new one.

I'd have a museum of basses,amps and cabinets if I'd held on to all of them. Took 20+ years for me to figure out that tone and feel was in my fingers, and not necessarily the equipment (tho good stuff can be a big help)...(Musical)Life can be a cruel teacher...

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Originally posted by JBFLA:

Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret:

I've still got my first bass (after 3 years of playing), and I've still got my second bass. Had an old crap amp, but I'm glad that's gone. Now I've got a new semi-crap amp. Wishin' and a-dreamin' that I'll get a new one.

I'd have a museum of basses,amps and cabinets if I'd held on to all of them. Took 20+ years for me to figure out that tone and feel was in my fingers, and not necessarily the equipment (tho good stuff can be a big help)...(Musical)Life can be a cruel teacher...
I'm broke. (college does this sometimes)

My bass teacher owned the exact same epiphone that Lennon used (at the same time). He paid like $350 new and sold it in the 70's for about $500 thinking he made out pretty well. Now it would be worth at least $5k, ouch.

He also took a '78 Jazz and a fretless P of simialr vintage, swapped necks, and sold the P w/jazz neck (he wanted a fretless Jazz without line etc). The J is still worth about $800, but if he had both, he could put them back to original and have a pair worth about $3k, ouch.

The one I HAVN't let slip by...my '79 Ric in autumnglow (rare) in near perfect shape (even has bridge p'up cover). Got a pretty good death grip on it... ;)

You could say that there are two forms of this.

I never sold a vintage bass.

I did modify my '69 Gibson EB3 (and lost the bridge cover), so it's "vintage" value is gone (not that they command much money anyway). I don't think about it as a "lost investment" because I'll never sell it. 30+ years of service deserves a happy retirement....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

When I was 14, my parents alotted me $300.00 with which to buy a bass.

I narrowed it down to a white '76 rick 4001 and a sunburst '63 P-bass.

Being young and dumb, I went with the rick.

Not that the rick was a bad bass or anything, it just wasn't anything special, and I sold it about 5 years later. That p-bass'd be worth about 4 grand today.

*ouch!*

Chris

A pure white Ric 4001 sounds like a great buy to me! Maybe the vintage Fender has a higher sell on fee, but a Fender is not a ric (IMO)!

BNC, Autumn Glow sounds beautiful! I'll nip off to a Ric site and have a look...surely it can't be better looking than Fireglo Red?

I've never had enough equipment to sell on, and anything I've owned up to now has blown up or been GIVEN away!

Yeah, it's all been that bad!

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

I'm glad to say I've no regrets. I've sold a few, & never looked back. One of the advantages of starting out with low-end stuff! :D

Cup, you won't find AutumnGlo at the Ric website, as it's a rare color that hasn't been offered in a very long time. But you may see some good examples at the Rickenbacker Registration Page (look it up on Google), if you really poke around. FWIW, my 4003 is white, which means that it's yellow. :D

I remember seeing a used Alembic once selling for around $800. I'm not sure what model it was, but that might have been a great deal...

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Originally posted by BNC:

I got some pics, but don't have a site to post them on.

Mr.B. - The '76 Ric is still worth from $1k to $1500, but losing the P has got to hurt!

Generally, they go on eBay for 500-800. I rarely see one go for over a grand, unless it's a sixties model.

Resale value aside, a '63 p-bass would be quite a bit more useful to me now than a rick. I actually sold the thing because I just could not get used to the neck, and it sounded thin and wimpy.

Chris

Ah ha! I'm not a computer retard after all... Here is a pic of my '79 Ric, not the best shot with a disposable camera, but you can kinda see how pretty it is. http://www.supersportbike.com/users/bncsv650/images/ric.jpg

I've got 2 for ya.

The first is while I wandered the local pawn shops, I spied with mine own eye a Music Man Stingray. Pre Ernie Ball. The price tag said $599 with case. I thought it was too much being young and naive. Had I known the sucker was worth $1300 I'd a snatched it up in a heartbeat.

The second comes after 6 years of working in a retail music store. Hoping that one day the silly deal of the century would come along. I eventually got burned out and took an inside sales job at another company. And of course 2 weeks later a school brings in a late 70's P-bass and trades it for $150 because there'd been pop spilled in the case and the fuzzy lining stuck to it. The kid that replaced me got it!!!

Then again, I'm completely happy with the gear that I worked for, so what've I got to complain about?

Originally posted by Hoagie:

I spied with mine own eye a Music Man Stingray. Pre Ernie Ball. The price tag said $599 with case. I thought it was too much being young and naive. Had I known the sucker was worth $1300 I'd a snatched it up in a heartbeat.

Found my '76 MM in a little shop in Omaha. Traded my Kramer (aluminium neck - what a pain to tune in changing temps!) and $200 for it. I had been looking for one for years (at a decent $$), and jumped at the opportunity....THIS ONE is not leaving my eyesight!!

JBFLA

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Archived