Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just Got Bela Fleck and RHCP's Blood Sugar Sex Magik CD!

JDL

Yes! I nee some opinions on these CD's, even though I just bought them. Do any of you own either of them? Bass Player Magazine said that Blood Sugar Sex Magik was one of the albums that "you must own." And I got Bela Fleck's Live Art CD(2 CDs). Any comments on that one?

Thats cool, but it might set "me getting my bass" time a little farther back, but.............

JDL,

peace

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know about that Bela Fleck album, but from what I've seen and heard, I think its worth having. I plan to purchase it.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik is definitely in my top 5 discs of all time. The bass playing is funky and deep in the pocket, but overall its just an outstanding listen everytime. There are many cool sounds layered all over the place, but in a wonderfully subtle manner. Rick Rubin should be very proud of his production on this one. And the Chili Peppers show how funky, creative and talented they truly are.

ANYTHING by Fleck is great (in my opinion).

Went to a workshop here in West Palm at a local jazz club. Victor hung out for 4-5 hours - answering questions, showing technique...He invited those who brought their basss on stage, and created a "bass symphony" (7 parts-2 players to a section...unfreakin'believable. He even sat outside after the seminar to talk with ANYONE who had a question.

After the workshop, he and the house-band played 4 sets of blistering music. I know I spent over 12 hours there that day, I'm sure he was there longer...

I see your link to the Fender...what do you play now? I just bought my 1st 5-string, here's a link (maybe, I'm new, and not sure how this will work):

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Dprods.htm

\

or

Schector Basses

If it doesn't work - it's a Schector thru-body-neck, 5 piece neck, with EMG pickups...gorgeous and plays great...Now, if I could only play it as well as it could be played, hehe.

Otherwise, it's my MM Sting Ray...never failed me yet (after 20 years).

JBFLA

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

LIve Art is a good CD, but they have a newer one (forget the title) which I think is a little better. Dont underestimate live shows, I think artists lay it down a lot better for an audience than for a track mixer.

Trade/DL live shows from artists who allow it...you wont be dissapointed.

I would also suggest the Oysterhead official release. Les Claypool, Tret and Stuart Coppland on some amazing tunes. You'll hear some funky ass bass lines on that CD, no simpleback up rythms when L.C. is groovin, bass takes center stage.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

Thanks Idnarb, I'll try and check it out.

Yeah, I was at the store and there were some Bela Fleck CDs, but I didnt know which one to get.

Their newest CD I think is either Perpetual Motion, or that other one, where the cover is on the subway(dont know the title)

But, I like it.

JDL,

peace

Originally posted by JDL:

Thanks Idnarb, I'll try and check it out.

Yeah, I was at the store and there were some Bela Fleck CDs, but I didnt know which one to get.

Their newest CD I think is either Perpetual Motion, or that other one, where the cover is on the subway(dont know the title)

But, I like it.

JDL,

peace

I cant help say it..since is bears repeating.

O-Y-S-T-E-R-H-E-A-D :wave:

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

Blood Sugar Sex Magik is probably my favorite RHCP cd. I listened to it non-stop when it first came out for what seemed like an eternity. Lot's of great songs on it and Flea plays some uber-tasty stuff; plus he has the none-more-god-like envelope filter tone on "Sir Psycho Sexy" (which was an old Mutron III with nearly dead batteries, before anyone asks. :D ).

As far as Live Art goes... it's brilliant. You cannot go wrong with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, and that album has some great guest appearances too. The 'Live at the Quick' cd is also very, very tasty.

Archived