Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finding Folks to Jam ; Play With?

DEL

I've been self studying Bass for about 2.0 years and would like to find people to jam with or a band to play with. My primary music is R&B and FUNK. Any suggestions how to advertise or find bands/people to play with?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, you oughta be able to find people to jam with. You've said you're from New York. Where in New York? New York City?

A lot of larger towns probably have clubs that host open jam nights (usually blues clubs) during the week. Go forth, taketh thy bass, and thumpeth the strings. It usually takes a few times (sometimes quite a few), even if you're good, to become "one of the in-crowd". Be patient. Meanwhile, you'll be listening to what the others are doing. You may meet up with other players.

If this isn't happening, or, even if it is, check out the ads in one of the local entertainment mags (Kansas City's is called the "Pitch Weekly"...they probably have something similar in your area). Check out the ads for "bass player wanted".

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I've been playing for about the same amount of time and all that I can say is that finding a group of people who are doing what you want to do is difficult. It's also important for you to feel comfortable with who ever you are jamming with. As the Tedster has already suggested, open stages are one way to go about it. You might also think about playing with guys who are doing some different things musically until you find your match. I've jammed with guys who play Metal, Blues, Country, etc. It doesn't matter to me what type of music they're into at this stage. I just want to play! In the end it's all music anyway and you can learn from the experience. Eventually I would like to focus on Funk, R&B and Jazz. For the time being, if anyone wants to jam I'm all over it if it appears to be a cool situation.

I once answered an ad that was posted in the local Blues Society periodical that stated, "Beginning guitarist interested in the Blues seeking a bassist with hopes of possibly forming a band down the road." I contacted that person via email telling them about my background and he replied, "How much experience do you have and have you ever played in a band situation?" I answered stating that I had been playing for a little over a year and no, I had never been in a band. I inquired as to where he felt his group was at with regards to being gig ready and he replied, "We're looking for experienced bassists. Thanks you for your time." Go figure....... :confused:

It is from Blues that all that may be called American music derives it's most distinctive characteristics.

-James Weldon Johnson

Hi DEL,

Suggestion: Make a little sign that says, Novice Bass Player (Been playing/learning 2 years) looking for musicians to jam with.

Place this on the walls of 2 or 3 of your local musical instrument stores. Keep checking and replacing it if your note gets taken down. Do that thing where you put the phone number on the note, and on the little tear-off strips so they can take it with them.

You may want to add info like:

Style of music you like

What part of town you live in

Do you have rehearsal space, or would you need to find it (that's a pretty important consideration - From what I understand, in NYC, there are places to rent rehearsal space by the hour.)

Do you have aspirations of forming a band, etc.

Good luck to you.

I started out in a jam band made up of members I met though the Louisiana Songwriters Assocation. That was a few years ago, and now we've developed into a Rockin' Oldies band and are starting to market ourselves to hopefully make some $$$$$$$$!

All in all, I guess I've now played about 20 or so gigs in that period of time, either with those folks or other jam buddies. Or by myself on acoustic guitar. I've been playing bass since 2000.

Note: Don't be disappointed if you go through a BUNCH of different musicians and also meet some aggravating and freaky people. But, amidst those challenging players, will be some great ones that you will get along with very well, and you'll have a lot of fun, and learn a LOT.

... Connie Z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

Ask around at your local stores. A friend of mine who works at a music store and studio has hooked me up with a lot of gigs. None have led to a longstanding position, but, it helped me to make more contacts and contacts will help you more than anything. Keep in mind, though, this way may lead to a few, well, less desireable gigs. People will lie to make themselves appear better than they really are.

Best of luck to you. Remember, it won't happen overnight. After more than 15 years of playing, I still find myself without a gig, but, I'm looking for the right situation, and most of the bands around here have the heroine look and i don't.

Del, do everything suggested by Connie (and others), the one thing I'd change is how you adverise yourself. Don't put "Novice" or "beginner" in the ad, would you reply to that? Me neither. This is the age of the advert, we all need and love them, we of course don't believe them. If you advertise as brilliant, people are going to respond as they'll think you're good, above average etc, novice suggests crap, or extremely modest, I've never trusted modest or unassuming people. ;)

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

I'd opt to jam with someone who modestly listed himself as "novice" over someone who comes across as cocky, even on paper.

Wouldn't it be better to start with other novice players than to show up to jam with strangers and lack confidence because they're more advanced?

In my experience, especially in a Jam-type situation, I'd take the confident average player over the reserved or wavering intermediate-advanced player anyday.

Just some personal opinions, Cup, not looking to offend anyone, but I don't think he'd miss out on much by listing himself as a "novice to intermediate" player.

In fact, it's all relative, I may be advanced compared to some people I play with, but ... Damn right, I'm a newbie compared to others. Ok, rant over :P ... It's been a long day at work.

-Mike

...simply stating.

Originally posted by CupMcMali:

Del, do everything suggested by Connie (and others), the one thing I'd change is how you adverise yourself. Don't put "Novice" or "beginner" in the ad, would you reply to that? Me neither. This is the age of the advert, we all need and love them, we of course don't believe them. If you advertise as brilliant, people are going to respond as they'll think you're good, above average etc, novice suggests crap, or extremely modest, I've never trusted modest or unassuming people. ;)

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

It's also because of this attitude that I have wasted a lot of MY time auditioning for bands. When a band tells you that they are this great thing, and in fact they suck huge ass, I get irritated.

Advertise yourself how you are. Don't tell people that you are something that you are not.

Bumpcity, all bands sound great in the minds of the members, but the best musicians actually sound the way they think that they sound. Unless theiy are a throwback '80's act, I'd never trust a band that claims to be "the greatest thing ever." Modesty can go a long way, as long as it's not overdone- modesty can cost you a lot of gigs if you aren't careful.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Advertise yourself how you are. Don't tell people that you are something that you are not.

I totally agree. I've always been up front about where I'm at and I've actually had guys that were smoking players that still wanted to jam with me occasionally. Most of those experienced players are still people that I talk to quite frequently and they offer lots of assistance/advice. If I had been dishonest, I don't think that they would have responded the same way.

It is from Blues that all that may be called American music derives it's most distinctive characteristics.

-James Weldon Johnson

Archived