Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

stuck in a situation

sigudo

I'm in this band... wasn't my idea, i was asked to join buy the drummer. so any how we all agreed that we would be a wedding-dance band... great. what could be more fun than gettin down for some good dough gigs??? as it turns out no one other than the singer, the drummer and my self could get down. its so sad. its so sad. we labor over elementry songs, and beat patterns. how can we "learn" the rest of the band into feelin the music??? i know everyone's got the beat deep down inside. i keep tellin everyone that they gotta let the drummer and i get it goin on then fall into place with us... they don't get it. so any how this chick is a hot singer and worth stickin with... how can we all get down?? how can i enlighten them all to the groove besides playin it for them??? it drives me nutz... we have great shows where everyone dances and we make money but absolutly with out feel or groove. it shows me just how low down everyones expectations are in life. any insight would help. :freak:http://www.v2k.org/maulhood.gif

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, do you enjoy playing with them? Would you like to see the possibility of getting big? If so, you might want to break it to them easily that they have no skills. Get them some skills, man. Practice practice practice...it makes perfect, or so I'm told.

But do you really need anything other than a drummer, a bassist, and a singer? A lot of jazz bands don't have guitarists or keyboardists...you might look into that. Or find others that have more skills than them. Just a thought.

the big thing isn't really a big hang up for me... i got a day job.. and a night job and a side job... i do try to explaine to them about the difference between playin a whole lotta notes and gettin down.. they don't retain information that well. i just play for the fun of it so everytime i do it all comes out... why isn't everyone else like this.??? the jazz thing would be coool but even less audience would be in to it.. i kinda need that crowd thing to make it fun.. it feeds ya..

Originally posted by sigudo:

the big thing isn't really a big hang up for me... i got a day job.. and a night job and a side job... i do try to explaine to them about the difference between playin a whole lotta notes and gettin down.. they don't retain information that well. i just play for the fun of it so everytime i do it all comes out... why isn't everyone else like this.??? the jazz thing would be coool but even less audience would be in to it.. i kinda need that crowd thing to make it fun.. it feeds ya..

I hear ya. I like to feel the people start bouncing to the music, too. The one time I've played in front of maybe 30 people, half of which weren't paying attention, the other half had an instrument and were playing with me. But nothing beats a few friends over for a late night jam session, eh?

Its hard playin with a group that isn't all together... you can always tell immediately when a band isn't feelin it. In my own experience, the best way for you to get the others in your band on your wavelength is to take those 'elementary' tunes they all are familliar with, and twist 'em up a bit... don't go too far too fast, but that way they'll still be comfortable with their material, and it will introduce them to a whole new world. I've only just recently gotten back into the music scene after 10 years, but the group I hooked up with this time is quite a bit like what you're describing... only myself and the singer/guitar player are into the groove, and we had to slowly bring the drummer and keyboardist into it that way... playing the songs they always played the same way every time but re-arranging them a bit each time... now you can totally tell the difference in both our sound and in the response we get from the crowd. It was the same before I stopped playing, we had to bring the less motivated players up to speed gradually, by keeping them comfortable enough with what they could do to try new stuff.

But sometimes it just doesn't work out, and thats when you need to make the decision that best suits your own needs...

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I don't get it, why do you feel you're "stuck"?

Just quit the band...it seems like all you're doing is dreading going to rehearsal every night to play with the same group of so-so's who won't get it together. Move on.

If you're looking to start playing weddings, try to get your foot in the door with an established wedding band, preferably full of players who are way better than you...there have to be at least a couple somewhere in Temple... You'll learn how to be a professional "club date" musician a lot faster with other professionals than with people who aren't on the same level as you.

Remember, bad musicians almost ALWAYS drag you down to their level of performance, no matter what instrument they play. That's always a drag, so try to avoid it at all costs...

Of course...established wedding bands are also notorious for having certain players who are weak, but know thousands of tunes. Put up with their weak playing until you know as many tunes as they do.

Originally posted by sigudo:

how can we "learn" the rest of the band into feelin the music??? i know everyone's got the beat deep down inside. i keep tellin everyone that they gotta let the drummer and i get it goin on then fall into place with us... they don't get it. so any how this chick is a hot singer and worth stickin with... how can we all get down?? how can i enlighten them all to the groove besides playin it for them???

Dump the musicians that aren't hacking it, hold auditions, get new musicians. It sounds like you've had gigs enough to know whether it's working or not with the personnel you have ...

You can't make a sow's purse out of a pig's ear, or maybe you can, I don't know...but the point is that some players eventually get it and some never do and some people just can't play a musical instrument at a level that will pass for professional no matter how badly they want to.

My advice is to grab the chick, have sex, then find another band. :)

it seems to me that a musician will only groove if he can groove. There are some great players out there, but they don't necessarially have that "groove." I was a chem-lab partner with an excellent, and I mean really scary good, classically trained piano player. He could tear up the keys, but he would have drowned in a groove-heavy setting. Maybe the rest of the band just can't groove. There's nothing wrong with they- their skill is probably in playing songs exactly as they are written, without interpretation (that's what I believe the groove all comes down to- interpretation).

Do they know the songs well enough? Nothing kills the groove faster than musicians who are only somewhat familiar with the material.

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Hmmm... Maybe the best advice if you can't make it 'work' would be to move on and find a different band or let the band break up then reassemble a few months later with better replacements.

Best,

JASON

FREE REPORT REVEALS:

"The 7 Incredibly Powerful Marketing Secrets To Becoming A Professional Musician In 90 Days Or Less... Guaranteed!"

To receive your free special report...

Simply visit www.Marketing4Musicians.com

Archived