Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need a good left handed bass

SF audio

It's time for me to upgrade from my washburn bantam bass. It's alright, but sounds a little farty. I'm looking to spend around $750 for a quality bass (I'm a guitar player foremost, so I don't know a lot about basses!!). What are good models to look at? Neck through body or bolt on? Will bass humbuckers give a lot of beef to the sound? I've only played precision style basses....

any advice appreciated!

The thoughts expressed in this post are the opinions of SF audio and MAY be used or misquoted anywhere you want, either in print,on the internet, or on the bathroom walls....

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I've got a Washburn Bantam bass, and I like it a lot. More bang for the buck than I would've expected.

Left-handed, eh? There was a thread on this, look here . There isn't a whole lot to choose from, but you can always custom order. For $750, I'd go for something like an upscale Warwick RockBass or a Carvin or something. Good luck, though.

Look at Carvin at that $750 price; they do lefty basses no problem. Also, I recently played a Spector ReBop bolt-on that I thought was kick-ass (alder body, nice stain finish, bolt-on neck, EMG-HZ p'ups, Aguilar preamp) and the salesman offered it up for $825. However, I don't know how easy it would be to find a lefty model.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I imported a lefty Carvin for one of my students and I was VERY impressed, not only was it a fine bass (I knew it would be as I owned a near identical righty one at the time) but it was delivered on time AND with no price premium for the lefty.

How many other companies do that?

Hmmmmm...........

Ahhh.. another lefty! Welcome to the small but fustrating group of lowdown southpaws.

I have a lefthanded Carvin I love...but there isn't much to choose from in stores. Check the thread I started below on the same topic for some good ideas.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

Thanks for the replies. Looks like Carvin is something to look at. You can get the LB20 for $600 plus a few options and case, bringing it to around $750. I just need a solid 4 string bass so this may work.
The thoughts expressed in this post are the opinions of SF audio and MAY be used or misquoted anywhere you want, either in print,on the internet, or on the bathroom walls....

Hey does Carvin support Musicplayer.com or something? Do a search for Carvin and look at the results! If they don't maybe someone should clue them in on all of the customers they are getting from these forums!

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

dx,

One reason is the quality, customization, and bang for the buck. They are fairly popular here, but not more than Fender (and maybe others). Just the same, not everyone likes them. We do get a varied viewpoint...

The original moderator here was Ed Friedland (chosen because he is one of the key Bass Player mag people). Ed is also a Carvin endorser. It's a credit to Carvin that a year after Ed's departure, there is still plenty of positive stuff written about them. (and we still miss Ed).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Everything I've seen or heard about Carvin has impressed me... in fact I've convinced my guitar player he needs a Holdsworth 'Fatboy' in Sapphire Blue on Quilt... my next 4 string is a toss-up now between Reverend and Carvin.

Decisions decisions.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Archived