Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Time for change?

patrick_dont_fret

As you know, I'm having doubts about where I'm going musically. I quit my job, albeit for petty reasoning, but things weren't looking good my way. My amp is farting, my playing sucks, and I have no money to pay off my car repairs. Classic example of a broke man...

So, I don't want to sell my gear, but should I? Not all of it, just the parts that don't matter. I could keep the ole 4stringer, use that old piece amp in the garage, and sell the rest. Sound like a viable option? I don't really need a 5string, do I? I don't need a wahwah, a chorus, or an overdrive, do I? I don't need any of it, really.

As for you good people, I'm thinking of taking a break. Spend more time looking for a job, thinking things over, and trying to get my life back in order. Get in shape for one thing, that might have an effect on my overall sensibility, right? As I told one of my friends, "I'm only 18, but I'm getting to play 'Mr. 30-something'." Has God chosen this for me, or am I just another Joe that's going down the hole?

Yes, I'm unloading all of my problems on you, but don't take it personally. It's just another one of those mental breakdown things I have every few years. Please, don't feel sorry for me, as I don't for myself. And no, I'm not that selfish as to take the irrational approach and do something like that to my family...we've had too much tragedy.

I'm not asking for handouts of thoughts and prayers, but there's been a supply of them going around here recently, so keep that up, guys. I'll see ya when I see ya.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, I'm sorry. I had no idea you were going this badly. Well, I'll pray for you. Maybe you should PM Nawledge. I'm sure he'll pray for you. I really do hope things get tons better.

But, don't lose faith, even when it lookks like it is the end of the world, keep looking upwards, everything will be alright.

All you have to do is believe.

JDL-may God help you through this time and I' sure he will.

peace

I hope this will help you figure out what you want to do, or at least give you some hope. It was posted on a motorcycle forum from that I frequent, the guy got it emailed to him by a friend.

A philosophy professor stood before his class and had some items in front of him.

When the class began, wordlessly he picked up a very large and empty

mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks, rocks about 2" in diameter.

He then asked the students if the jar was full?

They agreed that it was.

So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar.

He shook the jar lightly.

The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open areas between the rocks.

He then asked the students again if the jar was full.

They agreed it was.

The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar.

Of course, the sand filled up everything else.

He then asked once more if the jar was full.

The students responded with an unanimous-yes.

The professor then produced two cans of beer from under the table and proceeded to pour their entire

contents into the jar-effectively filling the empty space between the sand.

The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided,

"I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life.

The rocks are the important things - your family, your partner, your health,

your children-things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your car.

The sand is everything else. The small stuff."

"If you put the sand into the jar first," then there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks.

The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the

things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.

Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out dancing.

There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal.

"Take care of the rocks first-the things that really matter.

Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the beer represented.

The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked.

It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers."

Well, most of us here have faced similar situations. While it may seem dire at first, it's really not. It's really just a speedbump in the road of life. I've been in a bad situation since May. I never lost my faith or my sense of humor. Both will keep you going when you thought you'd never make it that far. I've been out of work since June and in and out of the hospital. I almost died a few times, but, I'm still here. My fiance left me when I needed her the most. Sure, I was sad and depressed, but, the way I look at it is, God isn't going to throw anything at you that you cannot handle. God knows your limit and he's letting you find it. I'm still without a regular job. Sure, I do the occaisional studio date, but, it's hardly enough to pay anything, other than gas to get to the studio. I kept my bass and amp because I know I would need it to get me through. Obviously I could sell my gear and get cheaper gear until I get a steady job, but, when you have THE bass and THE amp you've always wanted, it's hard to do that. I had to move back in with my parents. How sad is that--29 years old, no job and living with mommy and daddy? I don't let it get me down. The bad part was finding out last week that the $7500 I had invested is now gone, vaanished, thanks to Wall Street.

Basically, what I'm saying is, I'm still here. I have been shot 3 times, bitten by a brown recluse 4 times, lost the love of my life and lost all my money and I take it all in stride. I look around and see someone in far worse shape than I am, and I'm thankful I have what I have. Just keep trying and keep praying, but, most of all, keep your sense of humor and your faith and you'll be alright.

Hang in there patrick, life is full changes and your young with a long life ahead of you. Print out BNC's post and pull it out and read it when you're feeling down. In the 70's a friend of mine wrote a song "Roll with the Punches & Bend with the Wind". That simple line says it.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Patrick don't fret! Everybody goes through a down and out at least once in their lives. I was layed off in '92. Well we lost our house,went through bankruptcy and forclosure. I still can't get the best credit card today. BUT after praying alot, I found a job, got off of unemployment. Years later, I now own a new house, a great job(doubled the income),my family is doing well and I am going to pick up my new G&L L2000 this weekend.

So hang in there,pray,have confidence in yourself and things will turn around for you.Think positive and you will be ok.

I can't really give any advice as to your equipment, because I don't know what your options are. Overall, amps come and go, retain less value, and are missed less (in general) than basses.

Don't let your pride, or a sense of what you "should do" hold you back (whether the "should" comes from somebody else or from inside of you). Be open minded and stretch. And yes, many of us here will pray, or send energy, or whatever we can.

Cornbread, being with your parents as an adult is defined by respecting each other and love than by some expectation about what you "should" do. I suspect you are lucky to have them, and as much as they want to see you be more successful on your own terms, I bet they are happy to help (at least I hope so!!). I don't want my kids (21 & 18) to live with me forever, but I hope to be there for them....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Ok, so last night was pretty weird. I was breaking down, yes. I may be one of those macho types on the outside, but I'm a softy on the inside. So yes, I cried out to God to help me last night. I got up, a new day with a good amount of sleet falling from the sky. It's snowing now...something I haven't seen in a while, so things may get better.

I got a call this morning from one of the places I had applied, but I was asleep. My sister answered, but they just said so-and-so called from so-and-so. She said it sounded like the girl said something like "Uncle Tom's", but I've not applied anywhere with such a name. Hopefully they'll call back.

As for the gear situation, that would be a last minute option if I had no money left, and that would only give me no more than $500, since places don't payback that great. I don't think I'm going to be that bad off, though.

Thanks for all your support, guys. Y'all are aight, ya know. BNC, that was a great pick-me-up, truly enlightening. Again, thanks for all the help.

Patrick...

I'm feeling you like braille. Two years ago I lost my job and was ineligible for unemployment (I was a private contractor -- long story.) I spent about three months jobless, during which all of this happened:

I got married (with no income.) We were totally living on the money my girlfriend/wife brought in. Since we basically eloped (we were married by an Elvis impersonator in Vegas -- no shit), we didn't get any of that good ol' "wedding money" most people get. All of our money went to paying for our trip, and, of course, our regular bills and rent. We were basically screwed. Then I had to borrow cash from my parents in order to pay my taxes because my "private contractor" status left me owing about $1,500 for the year. Then my car broke down. After we scraped up the cash for the car repair, it was then stolen and left in front of a fire hydrant in a shitty area where it soon accumulated about $500 in parking tickets. When the police finally told me they had found my car, nothing was wrong with it except that I owed all that cash for the tickets. I had to PAY to get my car back after it was stolen... When I went to get the car in the impound lot, it wouldn't start... Our landlord then raised our rent. Basically, I was having a really shitty time. As things were at their worst, the main things I depended on for sanity were my wife and my music.

My advice... don't give up on music when things get bad.

By the way... I now own my own home, have a good job and a new-ish car. Life's not perfect, but it's a LOT better than it was.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

patrick,

Hang in there,life is a series of ups and downs.I just got divorced 5 months ago(after 4 of the best years of my life) and sold all my gear to pay a smidgen of my bills.Now, i've been unemployed for 4mos and have no unemployment(Indept. Contractor also).I'm totally broke and may even have to sell my computer,then i said screw that.I decided that in a few days,i'm gonna stay w/ my parents and start over.I regret selling my bass rig as that was my peace of mind so to speak, so think twice before selling.Realize these are hard times for everyone and if you move forward good will come.

Keep the faith,

Monk

I cannot be bought, and I cannot be threatened. But if you put them both together then I'm your man!"

This doesn't have to do with music.
Oh, Fatman, you little minx, you're so silly. Of course this has to do with music. Our friend Patrick is worried about his musical future because he's going through a rough time in his non-musical life. We're offering him musical (and life) advice. It's relevant to the forum because we all deal with self-doubt and life issues, and these all affect our music in both direct and indirect ways.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Oh yes. Issues related to life affect our music. But unless they are the right issues, you get a friendly warning not to talk about them. Isn't that how it goes? It's okay for all of you to babble on about Jeebus and such, but when I talk about politics, its a big no no. Nevermind that I said that politics were a big influence on where I want to go with music. Nevermind that politics are a more tangible and real issue than silly abstractions about religion. Nevermind that. :rolleyes: Seriously now, can't you come up with anything better?

Fatman... I don't want to fight. I understand your point -- politics mean a lot to you and are a driving force in the music you wish to create. However, a purely political discussion isn't really going to help us here unless it truly relates to the creation of music. I think I more than adequately addressed the issues you wanted to discuss regarding image and political music without dissecting or attacking yours (or anyone's) political ideas. I wasn't even critical of your idea -- I just offered you a comparison and a viewpoint that didn't have ANYTHING to do with defaming your political stance! We're actually on the same side. This just isn't the place for that kind of discussion unless it relates to the creation of music.

I'm fairly certain that most of the folks here stop by in order to talk about basses and music stuff in general. We're trying to help Patrick get through a rough time with his music. If some of us advise him to seek guidance through a higher power and music, they're just trying to help him through this time with advice that works for them.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Dude. Times like these happen to everybody. Its part of becoming mature. You're not alone and you do have friends on this board. Keep the faith.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Fatman, you're awfully new to be questioning the way anyone around here represents themselves or their beliefs. It's people like you that turn me off to politics in general. As for the witty response I'm sure you'll throw back at me, don't bother. I won't respond anymore in this thread. No flame wars, thanks. I get enough of it in everyday life. I come here because I enjoy the company and conversation.

Patrick, a wise old friend once told me...

"Boy," he said, "F*ck the dumb $hit." It took a long time to realize that there really was meaning hidden in that fun little phrase. It'll work out. It always does. As for the dumb $hit? Well... f*ck it. It ain't worth frettin' over, Patrick. :)

...simply stating.

Mr. M Pulsive, is that kind of like "Don't sweat the petty things, but don't pet the sweaty things"?

And a fight on this thread, I wouldn't have ever thought that would happen. And I don't think I'll lose my faith, either. I've done it before, and nothing good came out of it.

As for my musical slump, view the FART thread that I started...if I can find a band, then things will be much better, but I taught myself "Stir it up" by Marley today after reconfiguring my amp. Things should be looking up. That woman hasn't called back, whoever it was that called this morning...oh well. They usually only call once, and if you're not there, then they scrap it. Things will get better, that was just a little mental breakdown last night. Cheers.

Patrick,

Learning a new tune is always a great start to pulling yourself out of a slump... But you should really try to find someone to jam with, bro. I've found that nothing helps me like cutting loose and knockin out a few tunes with friends in a garage, where noone cares if you hit a note wrong or if the tempo's off, (you get the point, I'm sure.)

You just need to go out and have some fun doing what you enjoy... it's way more fun to share music with others. Don't have to be in a gigging band, just some buddies who like to make noise... you never know what could come of it...

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Well, I know i don't ya. But that don't matter, we're all people, we are the same.

Don't fret about the bass. (hehe). Really. When life is getting you down to the point that playing isn't giving you a break, dude, straighten it around.

I didn't play for over 3 years, getting an edjamacation, and finding a job. Now your situation may be a little different (I sold off all but my fav bass, and amp), but the concept is the same-I had no money, and was in debt. I've never felt better about who and what I am, thanks to the time I took to sort myself out.

The best advice to follow is the advice in your own heart. Go with what you feel is best, because it most likely is. You bass will be there when you get sorted out.

Q

/|\

{\==W===:#

! \

\ \

~ ~

Check out my work in progress.

Originally posted by Mr M Pulsive:

Candygram for Mongo... oh, sorry, I mean... PM for Patrick.

Right back at ya.

Originally posted by danymal_x:

Patrick,

Learning a new tune is always a great start to pulling yourself out of a slump... But you should really try to find someone to jam with, bro. I've found that nothing helps me like cutting loose and knockin out a few tunes with friends in a garage, where noone cares if you hit a note wrong or if the tempo's off, (you get the point, I'm sure.)

You just need to go out and have some fun doing what you enjoy... it's way more fun to share music with others. Don't have to be in a gigging band, just some buddies who like to make noise... you never know what could come of it...

DX

Yeah, I know. I've asked around various places, and people that know people that are in bands that might know people that need someone to jam with (a mouthful, yes). Nothing's coming up. I'll check the Flyer again, too. I need a job, first and foremost, though, so jamming will have to wait.

Oh, and I played that song for my momma, and she liked it...does that count?

Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret:

Always... if momma likes it you know its good!

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I hate to be the downer, but...

A long time ago, I was young and foolish. I listened to Nirvana and wanted to play guitar. So what did I do? I saved up my money for 6 months and bought a pos that barely plays today. It went well for a while. Several years later, my brother decided that he wanted to play guitar, so I took a few hundred and loaned it to him for his first axe.

He got better and I hit a musical brink wall. I knew for a while that what I'd write on the guitar seemed oddly similar to what a bassist might play, and once I picked up a bass, there was no turning back. My brother (just as old as you, patrick, give about 2 weeks) is now a shred demon on the six-string and I have my fair share of bass chops.

The point? As excited as I was about guitar, it took me some to find out that it wasn't for me. Music was in my blood, but I needed some time to mature before I figured out in what manner I'd be able to pursue this passion.

I'm a strong beliver in the concept that anyone who wants to learn a skill can, given enough work. There is a point, though, that seperates those people who should keep up with an instrument fronm those who should just stick with playing an instrument around a campfire. If you are having doubts, perhaps you've already considered this. If bass is what you want to do, don't let anything get in your way. I sure didn't- I just bought a $2000 urb a few weeks before my tuition came due, and only paid for tuition through personal loans. Believe me, I would never have made such a commitment in time and finances if I had even a small doubt about my future as a bassist.

Chances are that your gear isn't as bad as you think. Take your axe in and have is re-setup. Experiment with your amp and find better settings. Unlike guitar amps, there are very few bass amps that I've found that I can't coax a pretty good sound out of; it's there, you just need to find it.

You know what you need to do; you just need to follow your heart.

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Originally posted by danymal_x:

Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret:

Always... if momma likes it you know its good!

DX

:thu:

JDL said:

Anyways, I really hope it gets better, pat. Hey, I'll come to your house and we cant do a bass duo!

Cool deal, man. I'm better at playing up high, so you can keep the low down and I'll solo over it. I know this makes it hard when I'm supposed to be playing with non-bassists, but whatever.

MattC, I understand. If I can ever afford it (once I get my own place...I already annoy the others in this house), I'm going to get a huge percussion set, like the one you'd see Sunny Ortiz from Widespread play. I can tear things up on the percussion, and it works out this is part of the rhythm section too. Yippee! But that's going to be a looooong time from now.

Ya know Patrick, bass might not be your 'true' instrument. If you know for sure its not the bass, and that you've been down on music in general, than don't take the rest of this post too seriously, but...

I had a guitar for a year before I started bass. I made my hands do the right thing with enough practice, but I never really played it much, just wasn't into it. I noticed that whenever I went to the music store I looked at the newsest les paul halfhartedly, and always wound up pluking the e string on the basses and feeling the good vibes. After listening to Metallica's Orion, I said "whao, I need a bass". Its kinda strange, the day I got my guitar, my dad (who knows nothing about music) made a little joke of how he thought I looked like a bass player (I was a BIG guy, for a 7th grader). Guess he was right.

The whole point of this is that you might need to find your true calling, and it might not be bass, or it might not even be music, who knows. I used to think I was destined to play for the Dallas Cowboys, I loved football and was good at it, but that faded. Go play new music, go to the symphony, get your hands on every kind of instrument you can, go do something you've never done. You moght find something you like. It might not be your calling, but at least you might find something new and a bit interesting. Maybe learn to blow glass, its a neat art form, is there anyhting you could do with those skills? :D;):P:cool:

Archived