Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pre-amp Shopping!

Scoot

I actually got to play a Peavey Max pre recently, and I thought it was alright. :) Not the greatest ever, but I certainly didn't see it (or hear it!) as negatively as BP did years ago. :D

I also don't put my full trust in the BP reviews. However, they do sometimes help me learn a little more about a product and then I can check out what they viewed as strengths and weaknesses myself.

Peace.

(Unfortunately cash and circumstance make shopping for a pre right now for me a ridiculous proposition. But one day I will own that Kern IP-777 that I lust after...) ;)

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

But one day I will own that Kern IP-777 that I lust after...) ;)

You and me both! :D

Yeah that Peavey is not a world beater but it's not a slouch either. It just seems to do what i need it to do with the eclectic rig that I have which includes the following....

Furman PL Plus

Korg DTR-1

Peavey BassFex

Peavey MAX preamp

E&W PS-1000 Power amp

That rack powers either two Genz Benz GB-12T cabs or one Genz Benz 410T-STD. I mostly use the two single 112s. The tone is nice and fat but it still has very nice highs & mids. Low rent but smokin'! ;)

It is from Blues that all that may be called American music derives it's most distinctive characteristics.

-James Weldon Johnson

Originally posted by ebozzz:

That rack powers either two Genz Benz GB-12T cabs or one Genz Benz 410T-STD. I mostly use the two single 112s. The tone is nice and fat but it still has very nice highs & mids. Low rent but smokin'! ;)

I've never played GenzBenz cabs. Sounds like you've found yours to be pretty tasty. Any critique?

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Willie,

Depending on how you EQ, you can get great vintage to hi-fi type tones out of the Genz Benz stuff and I just have the standard series. They make another line called the XB2 series that I would really like to own a couple of at some point. The price of their gear is still very reasonable also since they are still not as well known as some of the other choices. My three cabs are very nice indeed. Good clarity, definition and they handle my B-string with no problem at all. I'm sure that better is available but I would probably have to spend a lot more cash to get superior quality. They are kind of hard to find if you want to try before you buy. Well, at least in my area they are.

It is from Blues that all that may be called American music derives it's most distinctive characteristics.

-James Weldon Johnson

Well, wasn't able to complete the "mission" at NAMM. It's hard finding those that are set up and ready to roll. Since you don't have your own bass, power amp and cabs it's hard to tell what you're listening to and you can't A/B them since everything is so spread out. Earlier in the thread there was mention of the discontinued SWR Grand Prix. There new preamp is the Mini Mo with built in effects and a floor board as well. It sounded pretty good, but again anything I would ever get would first have to be played with all of the components I would be using with it. GK has a preamp coming out but didn't have it there. There were others I saw but at the moment not popping up in my mind. I'm sure it will come back to me later.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

At the NAMM show I did see that Epifani has a new preamp. It wasn't set up to play. The person working the booth said he told the maker that a new preamp would have to be better than his Alembic that he's used for the last ten years or he wouldn't be interested. He said he's ready to make the change. Might be worth checking out.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Originally posted by ebozzz:

So Scoot, did you get the rig yet?

No, not yet. We had a minor shakeup in the band lineup early last week (guitar player was going to LA to join a band working w/ The Firm) so I cancelled my order.

But then I realized that I'm not going to quit playing regardless, so I said 'screw it' and re-ordered everything! :thu:

I should get the Crown power amp this week, and the Ashdown next week. Can't wait.

Ebozzz, did you get one ordered?

Ah, nice marmot.

Nope. I have emailed them several times but haven't gotten a reply yet. I guessthat I'll have to call to see about availability.

-James Weldon Johnson

I called earlier today and all I got was the answering machine/voice mail. I left a message with my number if they care to call me back. I also sent the email messages (2) again. We'll see what happens. Maybe it's just not meant to be for me. :(

-James Weldon Johnson

Archived