Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where in Central London can you get BP mag?

alexclaber

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found it in WH Smith's in Brussels once, so maybe WH Smith's in London have it too. I bought the issue with Jamerson on the cover in Limerick on the 12th of December so I think you might be too late for that.

I miss "Bassist" magazine, the English one. That was good for a while, but then it went arse, then it was discontinued.

Do you subscribe to the UK mag Bass Guitarist? I've heard it's better than BP, and it would be cheaper for you, wouldn't it?

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

IMO none of the UK bass magazines have ever been as good as Bass Player. Bassist was particularly appalling, and featured lots of reviews written by Roger Newell whose benchmark for a good sounding bass was if he could get a good Rickenbacker prog tone out of it - that man drove me mad! (to the extent that I've thrown away all my copies of Bassist, the interviews may have occasionally been interesting but those gear reviews...)

I have been buying the new UK mag, but I just prefer the music that the US mags focus on. I do not want to ever read any more about Level 42, Mark King is great but I've had my fill. And all the hopeless indie bassists... yes they're good at not treading on people's toes etc etc but I can learn so much more from many other players.

What a rant! And why is it that the British sense of humour that is usually so much 'better' than the US one, never translates to bass magazines?

Alex

I must say that I enjoyed Bassist magazine for a while. The "Soul Man" transcription pages had everyone from Edie Brickell to Rage Against The Machine, the reading lessons by Paul Scott were excellent, the gear problem pages were very well done.

As you said, Alex, they felt duty-bound to have cover stories on every Britpop bass player whether they were any good or not. Some of them seemed embarrassed in the interviews.

Then the magazine went bananas: They lost all the good features in favour of solo arrangements for bass (what bass player really wants to play "Amazing Grace" with chords at the 14th fret?), stories from readers about buying basses, advanced tapping lessons, full page pictures of the editor playing bass as a teenager... and very little of use to gigging bassists. Ironically, the last issue was a special on the future of bass playing.

I've never seen "Bass Guitarist" magazine, has that been around for long?

Originally posted by alexclaber:

IMO none of the UK bass magazines have ever been as good as Bass Player. Bassist was particularly appalling, and featured lots of reviews written by Roger Newell whose benchmark for a good sounding bass was if he could get a good Rickenbacker prog tone out of it - that man drove me mad! (to the extent that I've thrown away all my copies of Bassist, the interviews may have occasionally been interesting but those gear reviews...)

That's cool. Actually, I still enjoy BP Mag. It has nice pics, decent interviews, and ads that make me have serious GAS. :D

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Alexclaber, I know what you mean. I lived and worked in Russel Sq WC1 and everyday things or little treats (such as B.P) were either impossible to find our simply so outpriced that only the tourists could afford them.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

I think I started buying Bassist when it had started heading downhill. Maybe it's just me, but Bassist made me feel like an uncool bedroom bass-playing geek, whilst Bass Player makes me feel like a funky mother! (Or is that my transistion from bedroom metal bassist to groove guru and deep bassmeister over the years?)

Alex

Arse! http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/ubb/icons/icon8.gif

I checked for Bass Player magazine in Easons, the only newsagent in my city that sells it: They only had one of the latest issue and it's sold already. It's about time I reserved a copy for myself!

Bit of info for Europeans: They're expecting the next issue in the shops here on the 8th of February.

Archived