Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ashbury bass?

JDL

I know someone on here has one. They look kinda weird, but I think they'd be cool. Sorry to be so blunt with all the deep issues goin round. But, anyone who owns one have any comments? I think it might be my next bass. I just(almost) got my bass(probably looking at 2-3weeks).

So, whats up with the Ashbury bass?

Yeah, wheres the audio clips?

JDL,

peace

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all good.

The Ashbory bass does a credible imitation of an upright. (a funky old beat-up upright). It's fun to play, although it took a while to get used to the short scale.

I use it mostly as a travel bass, rarely on a "real" gig.

There are a lot of websites about Ashbory basses, you'll find them if you spell it right!

Main Ashbory Web Page

Ther e is also a forum like this one, specifically for Ashbory owners, but it doesn't get a lot of traffic.

ashbory forum

Here I am with mine.

There is also a link on my web page showing how I modified mine.

http://home.jps.net/~jeremy/ashbory.jpg

I got a blue Ashbory about 2 years ago - it's tough to get used to (as Jeremy said), but it's got a sound that can't be beat! My best advise would be to get an extra set of strings (or two), just in case they decide to stop making them again. Also, DON'T GET DISCOURAGED about playing the short scale. I mean, we got into this to practice, right?

Peace,

Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

If you do get one, I've heard it's better to powder the strings with some talcom powder to help you move more freely on the strings.
Why, do you chafe(sp?) when you play it? I think I'd be one of those badasses that doesn't use to talc and everyone gathers round to see the amazing act to miraculous proportions, but then again, I might just not use the talc without all that wondrous amazement...except for that guy standing there wondering what the hell I'm playing.

You need extra strings because you probably will break one. You need talcum powder because the strings are kinda sticky. The powder allows you to slide your fingers up and down the strings, without it your fingers get kind of "stuck".

I took me about a month to get used to the short scale, after that it wasn't a problem.

I'm with ya, Jeremy. About a month's practice for me, also. But, what an eye-opener for folks who see it for the first time. (Kind of like "Nice toy", until you plug it in...then the attitude changes real fast!)

Besides, there's just something cool about playing an instrument that looks like Gumby!

Peace,

Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

Archived