Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Boogie M-Pluse?

notamachine

Does anyone have experience with the M-Pluse head? I've been told it's a great improvement over their previous rack model (the name escapes me at the moment...2000 something?). I'm looking for the big bass swell on stage with the crunchy mids that poke through saturated guitars.

I currently run a 70's SVT rig which is perfect but but I have a big tour coming up and have reliability/weight concerns.

Thanks,

nota

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently tried out the M-Pulse amps, and didn't care for the tone. I couldn't seem to get a clean or deep tone.

I've heard that they are reasonably well-made, so if you like the tone, go for it. I suspect that for the price, you have many other options...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for the input....

So is there anything rackmountable/relatively light one might recommend for the sound of a well-tuned/tubed 70's style SVT? I've tried all the new Ampeg rackmount stuff...the low end feels smeared/wimpy and the highs are sterile....it just doesn't connect the same way.

I'm looking for that tight yet vast low swell along with the gritty mids.

I'm almost tempted to get some old GK800 with a Sansamp on the front end, at least they had the lows..

Thanks,

nota.

The M-Pulse is not the M-2000. I've played both the M-Pulse 360 and the M-Pulse 600, but only in stores. Unlike TC, I had great success getting a really warm, deep tone from them. I think the EQ is pretty flexible, and a lot of stuff on the amp is footswitchable (compression, EQ, "solo" volume boost, and something else...).

I like 'em.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by notamachine:

Thanks for the input....

So is there anything rackmountable/relatively light one might recommend for the sound of a well-tuned/tubed 70's style SVT? I've tried all the new Ampeg rackmount stuff...the low end feels smeared/wimpy and the highs are sterile....it just doesn't connect the same way.

I'm looking for that tight yet vast low swell along with the gritty mids.

I'm almost tempted to get some old GK800 with a Sansamp on the front end, at least they had the lows..

Thanks,

nota.

Hold on there, brother - before you write off the Mesa, I seem to remember that Tom Capasso was looking for a very clean, hifi-sounding amp to play his new 5-string Kinal through, and was more impressed with the solid-state sounding amps (which it doesn't sound like you want).

Based on what you say you want (rack-mount, SVT sound, doesn't weigh a ton), the M-Pulse would have been the first amp I would have suggested. With all respect to Tom, I've always been impressed with Boogie's construction/design and my experience (solely store diddling on a MusicMan 5) is that the M-Pulse was pretty huge-sounding.

Archived