Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm Giggin' in Northport, Long Island...come on down!

BenLoy

Attention Long Islanders...

This coming Saturday, January 18th, I'll be playing in Northport with a wonderful cover/original/comedy act called Dave Lindenbaum and the Lindenbombers.

Dave Lindenbaum is one seriously silly guy, ladies and gentlemen, and he puts on one crazy show, I tells ya.

We'll have two opening acts as well: The solo act rockin' of Jesse Free, and the straight-outta-suburban-Lawn-Guyland hip-hop stylings of John Winberry (backed up by the Lindenbombers).

Come have a beer and hear some great music!

The Lindenbombers are:

Dave Lindenbaum - Vocals/Guitar/Keys/Silly Antics

Adam Parness - Guitar/Backup Vocals

Mark Portugal - Drums

Shenole Latimer - Alto Sax

Me- Electric Bass

I'll be playing through the mysterious 'new rig' in whatever stage of completion it reaches at that point (I'm waiting for the used Demeter preamp I bought to be retubed).

Here's the details:

Gunther's of Northport on Main Street.

Show starts at 9PM.

Directions: From Western Long Island, take 25A EAST past Huntington into the town of Northport. Shortly after the Vernon Valley Road intersection (look for a McDonalds on the right), you will see a Pumpernickel's Restaurant on your left. Make a left at that intersection onto MAIN STREET. Take Main Street into the village- Gunther's is on the left about 2 miles down the road, just before the pier. Phone number is (631) 754-4156.

*Pwifft!*

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on this weekend at home. I really want to come to the show. And what time will you be arriving - I've got to get in my roadie work (let's see just how light that Stewart 1.6 is...).

For the rest of you folks - Northport is not in Queens, but it's not England either. There's an LIRR station in town if a car isn't available. Soon as I know that I'm going, I'll be happy to transport people as needed....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I'm in - I'll be there early. I may have friends from work showing as well. I hear it's a biker bar (not a rough place at all) with good beer...

If anybody is coming out on the LIRR and needs a ride, post or email or PM or pony express or telegram and I'll help out.

Hope to see lots of you :thu::thu:

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I got to see BenLoy at his gig last night. It was a party !!! The place was jammed (I got about 10 people I work with to show, and they were lost in the crowd - in a small bar). Fun time all around - the front guy and the other musicians were great. The drummer in particular was fantastic - what a mix of solid groove and flashy fills. This was a rock/funk show, but the drummer has jazz tendencies, and it came together so well !!

Ben is just such a great player to see. Playing that music-man anniversary issue (with the Bart PUP), he's so tight and solid. Of course, I got to see 2/3 of the "new" rig - Stewart 1.2, SansAmp RBI (and the Acme B2, which he had before). Solid, full, excellent sound. During the first set, Ben had the tone set to the "Jaco" setting. No bark or honk, just tone. In the second set, he boosted the bass "just a little", and the tone had that full bodied sound (that I prefer).

There were odd fill-in moments where Ben and drummer Mark broke into some jazz riffs (Ben knows walking). The rock songs were solid, and Ben covers the "cover" parts, adding his own style without losing the song (Ben knows rock). The funk tunes were way cool - Ben funks like crazy, and is so natural !! (Ben knows funk). While I was helping set up, I learned that Ben would be singing backups. It was more background shouts than harmony. The surprise was Ben singing lead on Jailhouse Rock. The sax player held up the words for him, and he still sang some goofy words on the third verse (it was that kind of night).

Most of the people there knew the core of the band, especially Dave the frontperson. At one point between songs, my friends and I started chanting "Ben ! Loy ! Ben ! Loy !". It was strange - this jammed bar got quiet and looked at us like we were nuts (OK - most of the people there haven't seen 30 yet, and most of my friends have seen 40). Later, during "Sex Machine", the leader gave the drummer a solo. This caused us to chant " BEN BEN BEN ", and I stood on the rungs of my barstool pointing and calling solo. Whether due to cheering or his own intention, the leader then gave Ben his shot (which our hero was not expecting). My friends and I loved hearing it!! They all pointed to Ben and Mark as the highlight of the band. Since only one of my friends plays a rhythm instrument (drummer), this was pretty cool!!

Thanks Ben - had a great time :thu::thu:

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Let me just add that Tom was amazingly helpful above and beyond the call of the average audience member.

He showed up with a bag full of spare cables n' such, insisted on helping us set up the PA( :eek: ), and really did risk life and limb to stand on the barstools to start possibly the world's first non-famous bassist cheering section. :D

He also brought his Kinal, but I didn't get a chance to try it with the limited downtime and space we had...

Thanks for the kind words Tom...I'm blushing as usual. Glad you enjoyed it. :love:

For the rest of you NYC Lowdowners, we're looking to get some gigs in Manhattan, so stay tuned...

Archived