Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

100-W-Range Combo Amps

DanYmaL X

I am looking at several different combo amps in the 100W (give or take) range:

SWR LA-15 Combo ... @ $300 (100W 1x15")

Behringer BX1200 ... @ $250 (120W 1x12")

Carvin PB100-15 ... @ $299 (100W 1x15")

Carvin PB200-15 ... @ $400 (160W 1x15"+ tweeter)

Gallien-Krueger Backline 115 ... @ $450 (125W 1x15")

Ampeg BA115 ... @ 450 (100W 1x15")

From what I can see the Behringer has a lot of cool (seeming) features, but how does it sound? Has anyone tried one? They all seem to have enough pro's and con's to make it a tough choice... unfortunately I live in an area with no (thats right, NO) music store within 90 miles, and I don't get out of town enough to try them all out. I am going to be making this buy over the internet, 'sound unheard' so to speak, so the more input from everyone the better!

Anyone have any opinions on these amps, or maybe some other suggestions?

I currently play through an Acoustic B-3 320W head with a Fender 18" Cab, and although I am adding a 2x10 Cab to that setup, I'm also thinking about picking up a combo to add to my rig.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you'd have to add the Ashdown Electric Blues and perhaps the Ashdown Mag-Mon. Especially the Mag-Mon...for features.

I personally prefer the Eden Nemesis 2x10 in this approximate price range...certainly light enough and I've used one for several years. A step above all of these amps, I think.

I have heard something about Eden not doing well financially...just a rumor, but that might be of some concern.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

The Carvin PB-200 sounds pretty good... I'd say get a cheap head and the 2x10 cab you're already planning on getting instead of a combo... You can get a GREAT Carvin 2x10 cab for $300. One of the best sounding 2x10 cabs I've heard... Then you can get a used Ampeg B-2 or Carvin R600 head for $400 on eBay...

I've got a lot more in town to look at than you do, but still not very much. Of the amps on your list, the ones I've tried are the SWR LA-15 and the Ampeg BA-115. I liked them both. The SWR sounds really good (I tried it against a Workingman's 15), but is pretty simple for features. Of the two, I preferred the Ampeg overall (do a search on it, btw). It has simple features, but they allow you to do lots of things; the 5-way "style" switch is surprisingly useful. I came very close to buying one (sometimes I wish I had, since it's so compact!). I could get a lot of very nice sounds from it, & Ampeg stuff seems to get a lot of volume for the wattage. Should be able to get it for around $450. Pretty darned nice.

I'll have to let other people speak for the other stuff. The Eden & the Ashdown sound especially intriguing.

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

[QB]I think you'd have to add the Ashdown Electric Blues and perhaps the Ashdown Mag-Mon. Especially the Mag-Mon...for features.

I personally prefer the Eden Nemesis 2x10 in this approximate price range...certainly light enough and I've used one for several years. A step above all of these amps, I think.

QB]

What he said.

My brother bought his son an Essex bass ($89) and an SWR LA Gear 15". The Essex suprised me, definitely. I suprised him when I plugged his Essex p-copy into my SansAmp Bassdriver and THEN into his rather plain-jane no-tone SWR. Night n' day, gang. If you can pickup this little cab used to save some ducs and pickup a Bassdriver used I think you'll find you have a very useful and inexpensive signal chain.

Having said that, the fav in this category on the forum-planet I come from is the Ampeg. Guys seem to be goin' gaga over it.

adamsclay

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

I think you'd have to add the Ashdown Electric Blues and perhaps the Ashdown Mag-Mon. Especially the Mag-Mon...for features.

I have heard something about Eden not doing well financially...just a rumor, but that might be of some concern.

What price range are these amps in? I think $500.00 is going to be my cap for this deal...

If I can convince my better(at keeping money) half that I REALLY REALLY need it I might be able to go as high as $700 or so...

Originally posted by Wickerman:

The Carvin PB-200 sounds pretty good... I'd say get a cheap head and the 2x10 cab you're already planning on getting instead of a combo... You can get a GREAT Carvin 2x10 cab for $300. One of the best sounding 2x10 cabs I've heard... Then you can get a used Ampeg B-2 or Carvin R600 head for $400 on eBay...

I've already decided on the Carvin 2x10 cab to add to my current rig... but I'd like a Combo just 'cuz... as said above, if I can convince my wife, I may be able to go around $7-800 and then I might pick up one of the Carvin Combos that incorporate the R600 head...

Decisions Decisions

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Ashdown prices new at Musician's Friend online:

EB15 (1x15, 150w)--$550

EB210T (2x10, 150w)--$650

EB12 (1x12, 150w)--$500

Might try eBay as well, see if you can't shave some money off, especially if you opt for the others. They are bound to show up.

adamsclay

It seems to me that not many people play Nemesis, but the ones that do seem to really love it. As to Eden's financial situation, they were recently sold to Washburn's parent company. The original Eden folks are staying on, but it remains to be seen how their support is. Given their quality reputation, I'd try it.

I also like Ashdown.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Bass Northwest has (at least according to the website) the Nemesis and Ashdown. Prices aren't listed, but a link takes you to the Eden site, where the MSRP is $850.

I got mine at GC for $550...up 'til a few months ago Mars sold them about the same price.

That Nemesis is a 2x10 plus horn handmade amp (whatever that means.) I'm sure some of the problems of Eden company have to do with the need to compete at a bargain basement price at these stores...real hard to do using American labor.

Still, if you can find one on Ebay, or used, I think you'd like it.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

If I can convince my better(at keeping money) half that I REALLY REALLY need it I might be able to go as high as $700 or so...

I'd like a Combo just 'cuz... as said above, if I can convince my wife, I may be able to go around $7-800...

That's the trick, isn't it?

Lucky for me, my wife agreed to get a Carvin AG100 which was the overwhelming recommendation I got from members of this forum. $450, 3 channels -- bass, acoustic guitar, vocal/keyboard. And under 40 lbs! I haven't tried it though...

My favorite combo that I've TRIED was an Ampeg. I can't for the life of me remember which one, but it was either the 50 or the 100. I think it was a 1x12. The 5 way style switch that someone mentioned above sounds familiar. I liked it more than the SWR LA-15. I don't think the LA-15 had a line out? or does it . . . ?

I also really liked the tone of the Fender Bassman 25, but it's only so loud at 25 watts. Great features though and line out for more volume through the PA. Very lightweight too! Cool tiltback monitor. I could get it for $300 locally or a little less online.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Archived