Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oh my God... I bought a house!!!!

Connie Z

Yay!!! :D:D:D

It's the house I was talking about in a previous post... with the beautiful empty two-car garage in the back yard, perfect for a rehearsal studio!!! :wave:

... Connie Z

P.S. It's our first house! The American Dream. I dig it man!

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats ConnieZ!

Just like a marriage - the fun begins after the honeymoon! Now the fun of home-ownership really begins! :D

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Originally posted by Bastid E:

Originally posted by JDL:

Cool!

Con-major-grats!

is that a complicated fingering?
No, I think it's the "Con-Minor-Grats" that actually has the most complicated fingering!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for all of the fun gushing about my exciting event! :D

The Act of Sale was this past Wednesday (day before yesterday) at 3pm. The homeowner still has a few things that they are removing from the house, so we haven't started moving anything in yet.

The house is in Kenner, which is a close suburb of New Orleans. It's the city where you fly in to at the Louis Armstrong International Airport (formally known as New Orleans International, but recently changed.)

I grew up in New Orleans proper, but I consider this whole area "metro New Orleans" which is what everyone calls the "tri-parish area". Orleans, Jefferson & St. Bernard.

Yes, the house has a guest room! And I can't make any promises about any damn cooking! Given a recipe, I can do a fair job. Maybe as a homeowner now, I will take some cooking lessons. I am not adverse to that. My husband wouldn't mind. He is a great cook. He is originally from India, and has been known to whip up a delicious batch of bhajia and follow up with sweet and delicious kheer!

New Orleans is a great town for a road trip, and I definately extend the offer that anyone coming to town can come for a "visit." I'll have to meet you once or twice first before we do any sleep-overs!

I am always happy to take someone to the French Quarter for some Cafe' Au Lait and Beignets at the Cafe Du Monde'. I Love Nu Awlins! :love:

And... once the rehearsal room is finished, of course, we would have to JAM! :thu:

So, in closing for this particular post, THANKS AGAIN for the positive energy you have passed my way!

I'll keep you posted on further developments.

... Connie Z

Congratulations on your house, Connie! You'll love being a new home owner, I know I did....until stuff starts to break or go bad, then you'll wish you could call the landlord to come fix it!! Nah, it's all good. Good luck on your music room, and keep us informed!!
"Remembers being small, laying under the table and dreaming...."

Home ownership...

It's beautiful. Congrats, Connie.

My wife and I bought our first home in August -- 5 bedrooms, three floors. After living in a little, two-room apartment for almost 10 years, we're still trying to adjust to the space and having to do our own repairs. For example, we have to use walkie-talkies to communicate when I'm in my studio (third floor) and she's in the living room (first floor)... It's kinda ridiculous. I think you'll probably need to hook up a flashing light/intercom thingy for your rehearsal room in order to know when your husband needs you or if you have an incoming phone call.

And yeah, Home Depot or Lowe's will now be getting all of youe money.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Congratulations, Connie!

My wife and I just bought our first home this past spring -- a mixture of joy and pain. Actually, as I write this in my basement office, there are electricians on the other side of the basement drilling holes and running wires to hook up our flood control system that the prior owners screwed up...

Anyway, best wishes. And really, it's been more joy than pain being a homeowner. I'm certainly envious of the garage/rehearsal studio. We've got a decent garage, but unfortunately we need to use it to store stuff and keep our cars out of the Chicago winter elements!

Peace.

--sweets

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by ConnieZ:

I grew up in New Orleans proper, but I consider this whole area "metro New Orleans" which is what everyone calls the "tri-parish area". Orleans, Jefferson & St. Bernard.

YES! I am from St. Bernard Parish, a little town called Arabi. I wouldn't've remembered the parish name had you not said something. Yeah, Kenner isn't too bad, if I can remember correctly. I'll have to cook up a huge pot of gumbo and come over sometime.

Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret:

YES! I am from St. Bernard Parish, a little town called Arabi. I wouldn't've remembered the parish name had you not said something. Yeah, Kenner isn't too bad, if I can remember correctly. I'll have to cook up a huge pot of gumbo and come over sometime.
So Pat, how long did you live in Arabi, and I am always ready for some gumbo! Seafood, Okra & File gumbo is like Heaven to a New Orleanian!

To all those who love Gumbo, find my Grandmother's awesome recipe here: http://members.aol.com/zimshah/gumbo.htm

Print it, cook it, and be prepared to share a lot with your friends.

I spent most of the day in my new house! It is soooo cool.

Thanks again for all the congrats! This is now getting to be a fun "house owning" process, instead of a painful "house buying" process. :D

... Connie Z

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Actually, as I write this in my basement office, there are electricians on the other side of the basement drilling holes and running wires to hook up our flood control system that the prior owners screwed up...

Hey Sweets,

The mental image of music and computer equipment in a basement that has a "flood control system" wacked me out. Is everything on a floating table? Does your amp wear a life jacket? That word "flood" is just not in my vocabulary.... :wave:

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Connie Z:

Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret:

So Pat, how long did you live in Arabi, and I am always ready for some gumbo! Seafood, Okra & File gumbo is like Heaven to a New Orleanian!

Yes it is. I lived in Arabi for the first 8 years of my life, wherein my father was transferred up here to Memphis, and I have been here for the past 10 years. I really want to go back, maybe for Mardi Gras (when is it this year? I can never remember).

Anywho, I'm an excellent cook, but don't expect to ever see me with a recipe book. It's all from inspiration, which is hardly what I can say about my bass playing these days.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

Congratulations, Connie!

Next come the serious decisions.....new amp or new furniture.....new bass or paint a room....new recording equipment or landscaping......

And we all know which ones will be purchased. Who needs any furniture but stools that can double for recording. Paint, yeah, spray paint. Landscaping, ha! She lives in New Orleans, remember. If you do anything to landscape, you're just going to have to do it again after the next hurricane season is over. Geez, man. Yeah, flood protection is a must.

Archived