Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'll show them guitarists!!

Kooky Mogessi

I decided I'm not going to take crap from guitarists anymore. I have nothing against most of them but the ones that really bug me are the ones who think theyre better than everybody else esp. those who dont play guitar. And at my school those are everywhere. So I decided I'm going to learn how to play a crazy crazy song on the guitar to shut them up.

Now the problem is deciding on a song that IS crazy crazy and that will shut them up (at least for awhile)

Any suggestions??

"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My advice: don't stoop to guitarists level.

If you think they're wankers for acting like that, then you'll be a wanker when you do.

Face it, we're bass players. A big part of our job is to make the g-men look good. :(

Ah, nice marmot.

Its not really going down to their level because about 90% of the ones who do this suck and will never play in a band. Once again I'm not trying to sound mean but tis the truth. Like theres this one I've heard him play and hes terrible and I can already play guitar better than him. I just need something flashy to impress these guys who think theyre cool. I'll play the song and go back to where the cool people are, on the bass.
"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

On a certain level I sypmathize with you, Penguin.

In high school I had a good ear, sang in choir, and listened to a lot of different music. I started playing bass because I was getting increasingly annoyed by a guy I knew who was a real loudmouth about being such a good bass player, when he obviously wasn't.

So I bought a Fender P-Bass and taught myself to play...within a couple of months I was better than him. :D

Stupid High School competition aside...remember that the reason you seem to care so much about all these bad guitar players is probably because you like the guitar and are annoyed by people who think they're the shit when they're not.

So when you learn the guitar, try to keep that in mind and aim for something higher than shutting up the idiots...

OK I'll try to be the cool layed back person I usually am and try to ignore these guys. gonna be tough but i'll try

i find the best way to get at a guitar player who pisses you off is to tell him that if he continues to be a jerk you'll quit. more than likely he'll remember how much shit he went through to find you and modify his behavior. it always works for me :thu:

another thing to remember is about loud guitar players. your bass amp, due to headroom considerations, is probably 3-4 times as powerful as his guitar amp unless he has some psycho $3000 amp. guitar player being too loud? turn up. waaaaaaay the f**k up. you'll sound like crap, but you'll be the only thing anyone hears.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

I can understand that it's hard to listen to people that talk too much. That goes for anything (sports, cars, model railroaders, etc.). You can't beat them at their game, because they can easily talk more. You can play every song on the last Chili Peppers album? They just turn it back on you - "yeah, but if you were really good you'd know all the leads from the latest Santana CD". Then it becomes about you and not them - not that they are idiots.

I know it takes a lot of patience to ignore the injustice of it. You can only make it worse. Sometimes stupidity is it's own reward.

We're bassists. We're cool. Put on your shades and walk away. When your band plays, it will speak volumes (even if they don't admit it). If really necessary, learn the chords to some acoustic stuff (like that new John Mayer song), sit outside under a tree and play/sing it. The girls will be there and the big mouths won't.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

That is good advice but has one problem, I cant sing. So instead of trying to learn a crazy guitar part I can try to work on my singing and do that.

As a guitarist... I must say...

I am better than everyone else.

HAHAH.

Just kidding.

I'm better than most people, though.

Actually... I hate that attytood as much as you all do. It's obnoxious. It's even worse when the guitarist with the shit 'tood is also really fucking good. I hate that even worse.

How do you battle them? Well... you don't. They all eventually cut their own throats by behaving like assholes and continually fucking up their playing situations. Leave them be. You'll be happier if you don't interact with them.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

My brother-in-law is a guitarist, and he cannot play with other people. I've tried jamming with him a few times, and he just can't follow even simple patterns with me. We've tried jamming on basic 12 Bar Blues patterns and Jimi's "Fire", and he just can't do it at all. He's even taken lessons with a respected teacher... :confused: He also plays piano, but it's easier to get by as a solo project when you play piano.

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

I never really understood the us Vs. Them attitudes between muscians. The best musicians I know have respect for instruments other than thier "main" instrument, and are pretty fluid on more than one.

It's not what you play(material or instrument), it's HOW you play it!

I really don't know what to put here.

And always remember, your Bass is bigger than his guitar, so if it comes down to a duel, you got the reach and the weight to take hime down!

DX :evil:

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I agree completely with Tom. Just who cares about them. To me, or I should say around me, there are way more guitarists than there are bassists. So, even if you do leave, then I'm sure you'll be able to find another band.

Why do we get so worked up for the guitarists? They're are certainly not more important than we are. But, for annoying guitarists, just tell them to shape up, or you'll ship out. (thanks to however said that first)

JDL,

peace

Well, there's the "Spinal Tap" method--you could give him a cucumber wrapped in aluminum foil so he'll live up to his big talk. . .or you could just start wearing a Blackie Lawless spiked codpiece. . .Or you could just opt for the Adam Clayton method of stickin' yer chin up a little and rockin' it anyway.

Screw 'em. They'll cut their own throats eventually. Make sure they don't pull you down.

adamsclay

Maybe I'm lucky, but any guitarists I've played with has been the perfect examples of taste, I 've always had more trouble with drummers. Guitarists have to be treated right from the first time you play with them, I know it sounds cruel but rubbing their ugly faces in their own urine really is the only way to gain their respect and remain in control.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Originally posted by Sylver Bleeds Green:

I never really understood the us Vs. Them attitudes between muscians. The best musicians I know have respect for instruments other than thier "main" instrument, and are pretty fluid on more than one.

It's not what you play(material or instrument), it's HOW you play it!

I doubt this is in reference to my post, but I actually don't dislike guitarists. I was just posting my experience with my brother-in-law and his inability to play with others. It just seems strange, that's all. :freak:

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Well, the best thing might be to just be able to play perfectly along woth whatever they play ...after all, if you get into a pissing match with somebody, what would you do after you whipped out your one "crazy song" & they gave ya another challenge?

Don't get trapped; be prepared for anythang!

Archived