Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does anybody own/tried Reverend Basses?

zujo

They look godd and sturdy on the Bassplayer Mag Ad how's the sound?

What are the PROs and CONs?

what manufacturesr do they resemble the most?

Appreciatt the coments I am considerig a new bas this year.

"Word to your mother"

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by zujo:

They look godd and sturdy on the Bassplayer Mag Ad how's the sound?

What are the PROs and CONs?

what manufacturesr do they resemble the most?

Appreciatt the coments I am considerig a new bas this year.

I have a Rumblefish 4-string. It's not the XL version they sell now, but it's still great! I love it! Pros include great sound, a nice feeling neck (very Jazz-like), etc. It's not active, but not everybody needs that. It also has kind of a more vintage tone, but it can be bright as well, but I prefer nickel strings on mine. I've received several comments from other bassists about how great it sounds and looks. Feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

http://www.copacetic.com/Brian.2.jpg

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

http://www.copacetic.com/Brian.2.jpg
Nice bass, bassplayer7770, but try playing that "E" with your pinky and your ring finger together instead, and straighten that left wrist out a bit...your tendons will thank you as you get older...

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Nice bass, bassplayer7770, but try playing that "E" with your pinky and your ring finger together instead, and straighten that left wrist out a bit...your tendons will thank you as you get older...

Why play the E with the pinky and ring finger? :confused: Actually, I play my bass a bit higher now than in that pic. I actually rest my forearm on the bass body now, so it's a bit more comfortable, and, since the bass is higher, it has hopefully helped straighten out my left wrist a bit. Thanks for your suggestions though!!! :thu:

Rig:

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Ben's suggesting that you adopt DB technique, and there's no doubt that it does minimise injuries. However on EBG you can safely use the 4 independent fingers left hand approach, but even so try to generally avoid using your 3rd finger when you could use your 4th. Although the ring finger may initially seem stronger than the 'pinkie' (as the yanks say), it is inherently weaker and more prone to injury.

Having said all that, you probably do use your pinkie and that's a rare photo of you doing otherwise - if not, uncurl that pinkie, keep in in position over the fretboard and ready to play and your technique will step up to another level.

Alex

Originally posted by alexclaber:

Having said all that, you probably do use your pinkie and that's a rare photo of you doing otherwise - if not, uncurl that pinkie, keep in in position over the fretboard and ready to play and your technique will step up to another level.

Actually, I usually only use my index and middle fingers to pluck. I haven't had any formal lessons, so I've never had anybody to guide my technique. So, how often do you use your pinky? Are there particular strings for which you typically use your pinky? Does anybody else suggest this? I've heard a couple good bassists in my area suggest using three plucking fingers instead of only two.

Rig:

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

bassplayer,

I was referring to your fretting hand, not your plucking hand. I only use my index and middle fingers to pick as well. Three-finger pizzicato technique is legit and helps with fast passages, I don't find myself wishing I could do it.

A good left hand approach should:

1) Keep the wrist straight.

2) Avoid forcing the fingers to spread out as much as possible.

When I say use your pinky and ring fingers to play that E, it's because those two fingers are the weakest, and benefit from supporting each other.

For instance: When you play a familiar minor pentatonic 'box' pattern starting on A (I don't like tab but it's useful sometimes for things like this), your left hand fingering should go like this:

G------------------------------------------

D------------------------------5----7------

A---------------3----5----7----------------

E----------5-------------------------------

fingering: 3+4 1 3+4 /3+4 1 3+4

or: 3+4 1 / 1 3+4 1 3+4

legend: index=1 middle=2 ring=3 pinky=4

middle and pinky together=3+4

shift=/

Originally posted by BenLoy:

bassplayer,

I was referring to your fretting hand, not your plucking hand. I only use my index and middle fingers to pick as well. Three-finger pizzicato technique is legit and helps with fast passages, I don't find myself wishing I could do it.

A good left hand approach should:

1) Keep the wrist straight.

2) Avoid forcing the fingers to spread out as much as possible.

When I say use your pinky and ring fingers to play that E, it's because those two fingers are the weakest, and benefit from supporting each other.

For instance: When you play a familiar minor pentatonic 'box' pattern starting on A (I don't like tab but it's useful sometimes for things like this), your left hand fingering should go like this:

G------------------------------------------

D--------------5--7------------------------

A-----3--5--7------------------------------

E--5---------------------------------------

legend: index=1 middle=2 ring=3 pinky=4

In that case, I do use all my fingers to fret. Like I said, I do play my bass a bit higher than I used to, so that should alleviate at least some of that wrist curvature. All in all, I have it where it feels most comfortable for me. Also, I don't think your example includes what fingers should be fretting each note, unless you're saying you should start with your index finger and each subsequent note would be fretted with the next finger. :confused:

Wow, I didn't expect this thread to become a lesson on fretting technique.

Rig:

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Yeah, but that's what happens around here.

I actually use both techniques...treating the electric as a guitar in some situations, relaxing and treating it as a URB in others. Most of the folks I know actually do it that way.

It is definitely necessary to avoid bending the wrist.

WRIST PHYSIOLOGY 101:

Try this: hold your hand straight in the air like you are swearing an oath in court. Bend the first finger at a 90 degree angle at the second (large knuckle.) Push...like you are pressing a button on the elevator.

Where do the muscles live that push your finger? and retract it? Go ahead...explore...

Tick tick tick

That's right...they live in the Popeye part of your arm...your forearm!!!! They are attached to the tips of your fingers by a group of long tendons...on the bottom of your arm the push the finger forward...on the top they retract the fingers.

Now think about this: That little fingertip is pulled by a muscle that is 10 times the size of your fingertip!!! All that power...think of it.

And those tendons are gathered together in the narrowest part of your arm...a part that also bends...the wrist. They are held in place by 2 big bands...the carpel tendons. That's right! This is the famous carpel tunnel.

Now...think about a bicycle cable. You know...a steel cable running through an outer sheath. If you bend the outer sheath with pliers, the inner cable will seize.

If you bend your wrist, crimping the tendons...they will seize...and when you put massive muscle to your fingertips through the bent wrist you will cause your wrist to EXPLODE! That is carpal tunnel syndrome.

Everything about posture is designed for one primary purpose....to keep the left wrist absolutely as straight as possible.

Try that bent finger thing again...this time...while you are pushing, bend your wrist 90 degrees...you will find it impossible to move your finger.

Nuff said.

Dave

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Harmony Central Bass Forum

Try this forum as well as here, there are a few guys there that have a Reverend Rumblefish. Just click on the bass forum link on the page that opens from this link.

Warning--two things. They're having some techinical problems over there right now, and also it's a little more "locker room" flavor over there.

adamsclay

Thanks, Dave. Hey, you asked me about Reverends just before this thread was posted, didn't you? Anyway, last night I decided to try strapping my bass up even higher (basically where the curve on top of the body fits right under my right pectoral muscle), and it seemed to help straighten out my left wrist while playing, and it actually feels a bit more comfortable. Plus, it almost felt like I had a little more control over my playing in general. :thu:

Rig:

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

Try that bent finger thing again...this time...while you are pushing, bend your wrist 90 degrees...you will find it impossible to move your finger.

Wow!!! I always knew it but that's a great way to demonstrate it!

You can tell Dave's a teacher! Thanks for sharing that, Dave.

Originally posted by bassplayer7770:

I actually rest my forearm on the bass body now, so it's a bit more comfortable...

I don't like the sound of that, bassplayer7770. As far as I know, it's better to prevent the underside of the forearm from leaning on the bass, as that will compress the tendons. It's almost the same effect as bending the wrist, as explained by Dave. I always try to have my plucking arm away from the body of the bass for that reason.

Originally posted by Alan Dalton:

I actually rest my forearm on the bass body now, so it's a bit more comfortable...

I don't like the sound of that, bassplayer7770. As far as I know, it's better to prevent the underside of the forearm from leaning on the bass, as that will compress the tendons. It's almost the same effect as bending the wrist, as explained by Dave. I always try to have my plucking arm away from the body of the bass for that reason.
Okay, well perhaps I'll try that next time I practice. I used to play like that all the time, but I felt I had more control of my plucking when I rested my arm on the bass. I can see your point about compressing the tendons, though. Dave, do you have anything to say about this?

Dave, also, please feel free to ask me any more specific questions you have about Reverends.

Rig:

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

I rest my right arm on my bass...even though there is the potential problem of a bent wrist...the truth is that you are not using the same muscle group when plucking the string with the fingers (well, you are a little, but your plucking strength comes from hand and finger muscles.)

Also, if you rest your forearm on the bass and need to straighten your wrist for speed, it's simple enough to leave your arm there, and raise your elbow slightly to straighten it.

Yes, I did ask about the Reverend bass. As a church musician, I would get a kick outta carrying that case in...and then, with that retro look, you can't help but like that. And if the tone is all spank like they say.....

Here's a question...is the back of the neck lacquered or just oiled. (I prefer the unfinished neck.)

I know they go to great pains to make the neck feel like a well worn pre-CBS Jazz...I was hopin' that included natural, unfinished wood.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

Also, if you rest your forearm on the bass and need to straighten your wrist for speed, it's simple enough to leave your arm there, and raise your elbow slightly to straighten it.

Yes, I did ask about the Reverend bass. As a church musician, I would get a kick outta carrying that case in...and then, with that retro look, you can't help but like that. And if the tone is all spank like they say.....

Here's a question...is the back of the neck lacquered or just oiled. (I prefer the unfinished neck.)

I know they go to great pains to make the neck feel like a well worn pre-CBS Jazz...I was hopin' that included natural, unfinished wood.

That's precisely what I do. I rest my arm on the bass and raise my elbow when I need a constant speedy passage (or a song full of eighth notes).

I've received several comments about the looks of my bass from strangers, and several have also commented on the tone. I love it!

It FEELS like the neck is unfinished but oiled (it has that yellow tint). It's certainly not a gloss finish...

Rig:

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

back to the origonal question:

I own a Rumblefish 4-string. not the newer xl kind but the older Vol, Vol, Tone one. I might get mine upgraded to an xl version though. (they will do that if you send them the electroncis/pickguard). I really like my rumble fish it has a great jazz tone and the body has hollow sections so you get a real big sound from it. the neck is great. it plays with the finess of a $1500+ bass. for sound/feel I would compare it to a vintage fender jazz bass. for looks it is pretty unique. they are great basses, I think it is the best jazz bass you can buy for under $1000. it is very light which I dig, easy on the shoulders.

the only drawback is that some people are not into the body shape but that is a personal preference thing. plus, it is a hand made USA (custom to a point) bass.

Speaking of Reverend, they had a booth at the Columbus Guitar Show this weekend, but, unfortunately, I wasn't able to go. I would have loved talking to Joe and his staff and trying out a Brad Houser sig 5-string. :(

Rig:

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Reviving this thread -

Couple nights ago, I caught a band at the Bitter End, saw a really great player using a Rumblefish 5. It sounded GREAT, and I think it's a great-looking axe. I didn't get to talk to him about the bass, but the drummer in the band (old friend of mine) said that the guy has a number of high-end basses, so it says good things to me that he brought this one out for a show.

How's that for a word-of-mouth eight-generation endorsement?

Those Reverends are punchy as hell.

I heard a bassist using one who got this massive chording sound on the tool cover they were playing, and he copped the tone pretty convincingly...not bad for a semi-hollowbody...

Reverends are punchy. The first time I heard one live was when I saw Jars of Clay several years ago. Their bassist was using one, and it sounded great!

Rig:

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Originally posted by danymal_x:

I just found my next 4 string... I wonder if they can do that Hawiian pattern on a Bass?

DX

E-mail or call Joe and see what he says.

Rig:

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Hehe Thanks... just sent him an email.

cool.

DX

So, what did he say?
"We do not currently offer sandblasting on basses"

DX

:cry:

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Hehe Thanks... just sent him an email.

cool.

DX

So, what did he say?
"We do not currently offer sandblasting on basses"

DX:cry:

He's been changing things a lot recently. Perhaps he's just testing the market right now. Hopefully he'll start offering all those different metal tops again soon.

Rig:

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Archived