Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

once again: attention nyc-ish people!

The Fonz

okay, this is rediculously early, but that's the way i do things.

my birthday is coming up, and that means my birthday party is also encroaching. it's in late february so you all have time to clear your schedules. bring the sig. others! drink! sing! whatever the hell you want! after all it's not MY house, it's a bar.

anyone interested in attending pm me with your e-mail so's i can add ya to the invite list (this means you!)

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, NYC people, there will be a preposterously cool show on Friday, January 17th at the Bottom Line. The sets are at 7:30 and 10:30pm.

The Jamaica All-Stars (Jamaica, Queens -- not Jamaica, Caribbean!) will be playing a tribute to pianist/keyboardist Weldon Irvine, Jr. The Jamaica All-Stars include notables such as drummer Lenny White, keyboardist Don Blackman, and a bass player named Marcus Miller (heard of him?). I believe that the proceeds from the show will benefit an African American, community theater group in Queens. The show should be phatly funky and madly groovy.

The show is listed on this Marcus Miller website . There's a link there for more details at Don Blackman\'s website (which includes a list of players). You can also learn a little bit about Weldon Irvine at Marcus' site as well (if you poke around for info about other musicians), and some of the history that some of the All-Stars have of playing with Weldon in NYC a couple of decades ago. If you're familiar with Nina Simone's "To Be Young, Gifted, and Black," you've heard Mr. Irvine's music. If you're familiar with A Tribe Called Quest's "Award Tour," you've heard samples of Mr. Irvine's music. If you've listened to Mos Def's "Black on Both Sides," you've heard some of Mr. Irvine's playing, production, and music.

Peace.

BTW, go out and celebrate E's b-day. He's a good man and deserves a good celebration :D ... Trust me, I'd go if I were gonna be in town. ;)

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Hey Bastid!

Happy Early Birthday! :D

Depending on my schedule, I may or may not be able to hook up with you, but if you send me YOUR email, I'll make sure that at the very least, I'll send you a nice e-card. In fact, I think that EVERYONE should send Bastid an e-card. You don't have to be in NYC to do so!

P.S. Is there gonna be jammin' at the club?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

and a bumpbumpbump. gotta know gotta know.

Originally posted by Dan South:

P.S. Is there gonna be jammin' at the club?

hey, i'm not renting a club or nuthin... just a bar. but if people want to do the bass thing i guess there's no reason we couldn't all go somewhere before hand. just no slapfights, okay wraub and ben? :P
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Don't know my schedule yet, but put me in. My daugther is a dancer - I'll bring her to see the tap fight (really, I'd pay money to see BenLoy and Wraub in a dance-off).

If you know a blues jam around, that might be cool. If not, we can hang and celebrate.

You old bastid you.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Mmm..let me know the date. Im seeing Phish one weekend in late Feb, but I might be able to sneak by if Ben and Wraub do promise to engage in a dance off.

:) ( Up to 4 scales, 3 12 bar blues variations, Money, Seek Up, Crush, Hey Joe, and a Deep Banana Blackout bass line.. Woot!)

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

first, a warning to all with brief attention spans and concentration problems: this post will be rife with tangents and i may actually lose track of the final point myself.

i was planning on offering the option of either the friday or saturday after the day. i find celebrating ones birthday beforehand to be crude and if some research was done it would probably bear it out unlucky, and no one wants to party on a wedensday. after careful examination of a calander, double checking with several other calenders and verifying with the collander my lunch was draining in i discovered that the saturday after my birthday is actually in march and there is no greater segregator of people than the month they were born in. i am a february person and very proud of that and there will be no march celebrating for me. march celebrating is for march birthdays. and how's this for future party planning lucky logistics (maybe there's a stage name for someone: Lucky Logistics): keeping in mind all said above, i might have been screwed in coming years as birthdays have a habit of sliding one day forward from year to year BUT next year is a leap year so the last day of february hangs around to wait for friday giving me one last party day in february to pull this bash off, and then after that my 30th birthday falls on a saturday. and then it all screws the pooch for my 31st which will fall on a sunday. ahh, crescendo and climax.

so, all that tangential gobbledygook and unsolicited explanation aside, here are the guts of the matter. february 28th. i will hold off on trying to find a blues jam because i don't want to be responsible for loosing a torrent and flood of bass players on an existing pool of guitar players. it's like matter meets anti-matter and the results may actually be the imploding of reality itself and i've already got that penciled in for later in the evening (did i mention there's drinking involved?).

all that's left is to pick the appropriate venue. i don't leave my house enough to have a favorite bar anymore and the few i used to frequent have been sullied by recent breakups, both romantic and dart team. there are a few neighborhood options such as the west side around the upper 40's lower 50's, the east side in the 20's, or of course the ever popular downtown. ben? musicman? any suggestions from our resident downtown lowdowns?

so, what have we learned? probably not much. and al this was wasted. but i will post a more definite post when i have a venue. also feel free to pm me with email address so that i may send a more proper invite.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

• 1 month later...

das überbump, back from the dead! the party is now set in stone. the evite is here.

come one, come all, come early, come often. and bring a sixpack (or something). the locale while sounding exotic and dangerous is actually anything but and it's right near the cloisters.

i hope to see you all there.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Sorry to get in on this late, I've intermittently been without a computer, and also setting up my apartment. Ahhh, life.

E, rest assured I will be there, although I am not planning on dancing. Alcohol does odd things, however, so we may see.

Looking forward to it...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

man.. damn. I would love to be there for the gala event. I need to move to New York for a while or something so I can hang with you cats.

If anyone in Seattle would like to know, my birf-day party is happening at Doc Maynards in Pioneer Square on March 1st. One of my bands is playing first that night and then they plan on getting me very highly intoxicated. Come one, come all. the more the merrier.

much bass love,

-B

ahh will, i wish there was more to report on the skyn front. with the "recording" and a guitar player on vacation and the drummer getting a new job we've had one rehearsal in the last 4 (count 'em FOUR) months. i'm starting to forget material, even stuff we recorded as i was asked to play things differently on the recording than i was used ot playing at rehearsals/show (note the singular of "show"). i'll let people know as more information developes.

but speaking of more information, the 5 song skyn cd will be played at the afore mentioned birthday party. here\'s the link to the evite once again for those that have not checked it out. where is everyone?

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Sorry to hear that Skyn is going so slowly. I'll keep my eyes peeled for more info and try to make a show.

And sorry I can't make it that night. Hope you all have a blast!! Happy Birthday!!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

TC,

Gotta say, as Bastid's agent and official LDL bump-meister, that I'm a little disappointed that you won't be at the celebratory shin-dig. As the kind of guy that makes it to virtually everyone's anything (gig, Sadowsky trip, whatever), you can't re-arrange some appointments so that you can wish Brother E the finest returns of the day on his special day in person?! ;)

--Willie

spreadluv

Happy Birthday Bastid!

Unfortunately I wont be in NY, infact I wont be in the States, for at least another month. Hope you have a great time. Maybe we can have another get together in a month or two and I can hopefully attend.

John Scotsman

::runs in panting and huffing::

I'm here! I'm here!

OK..so Im too lazy to re-read this whole thread, when is the get together? Did I miss it?

Oh..and Happy birthday! Are you an Aquarian like me? (Feb 10th)

I'll be in the city quite a bit in March for shows, so just let me know when and I'll do my best to stop by.

In other news... I'm still plugging away at the ol Carvin, working on triads now..oh the fun! (all I can say is Steve Miller and Abracadabra! Wooo!)

SO, what else is new in NY bass country?

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

Will there be any re-enactments of choice dance scenes from "Breakin' II: Electric Boogaloo"? Nuthin' gets a party jumpin' like "Breakin' II". Oh yeah, except for when Tom Capasso starts dancing like Rerun.

Peace.

BTW, Apollo Creed had nuthin' on you, E.

Idnarb -- you have not yet missed the shindig that will put all shindigs to shame. There's a link to the e-vite earlier in the thread.

spreadluv

Tonight's the night, folks -- your opportunity to celebrate the birth of the noble (and occasionally ignoble) Bastid E. It should be a strongly seismic celebration. ;)

My work as E's bump-meister is done for now.

Happy Birthday, E! Enjoy your blow-out. Enjoy 28.

Peace.

spreadluv

Archived