Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your fave strings, guage, etc.

bassplayer7770

Answer these questions if you have time:

1. What strings do you prefer?

2. Why?

3. What guage do you use most?

4. What style of music do you play?

My answers are:

1. Right now, I prefer SIT Nickel Rock Brights on my Reverend Rumblefish, but I also really like DR Nickel-Plated Lo-Riders.

2. I feel nickel strings fit the Reverend well. Plus, both the SITs and DRs have a nice mix of great sound and playability.

3. I use 45-100 guage.

4. My band plays danceable modern rock (with just a hint of jamband).

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roundwood steel. I have D'Addarios now because the last time I bought strings, they were the only ones in my gauge in the shop. A few years ago I always bought Trace Elliot, because they were the cheapest.

2. Why?

I like the bright, shop-new sound. I like the way the bright tone captures the sound of the fingers well.

40, 60, 80, 100. When I bought my Washburn, the dude in the shop told me that it had 40s on it and that I should keep buying 40s to keep the tension consistent on the neck.

Stuff that keeps pub crowds happy: Some Beatles, some Motown, some U2.

D'Addario EXP 5string sets, though I'm

experimenting with DR PhatBeams.

2. Why?

I like strings that last longer, and the EXPs

do, but I'm trying the DR's just for shits and

giggles.

Strictly .45 .65 .85 .105 .125, standard

guages, because they slap better, and have the

best tension.

Uh, let's see. I'm really into the jam bands,

but I like old skool hip-hop, reggae, classic

rock, etc etc etc. Everything but country and

rap, basically.

Now, I like the fatness of the steel string DR's, they have a really nice punch to them, but the 5th and 6th frets on the E string produce a really nasty buzz.

I took out the handy ole Leatherman and started to filing, and this took care of most of it, as there was a zing on the 6th fret of the G string, but the buzz on the E is still present.

This really makes me mad, as I can hear it acoustically, but the sound doesn't get transferred to the amp and out the speaker. Thankfully, it doesn't do that. So I know the buzz is somewhere above those frets, and I've listened for it, but I can't seem to find the source of the problem. Help, please.

I use the EB extra slinky (blue package)

2. Why?

They seem to just keep there sound, they have the best "stay alive the longest"/greatsound ratio of any string I've tried yet to date. They really funk out!

40-60-70-95

I enjoy playing many styles, but if I could sum it up, I'd say: "Play the funky music, white boy!"

cheers!

Check out my work in progress.

Fodera Stainless

2. Why?

Long Lasting - outlasted my DR Hi-Beams

Great tone - very versatile w/ eq adjustment & attack.

Original reason: $13 sale price

44-106

Play - er practice. I'm a serious novice amature. I practice daily about 30-60 minutes. Funk - mostly fingerstyle & some slap.

- Matt W.

DR highbeams

(stainless steel roundwound)

2. Why?

They are bright, clear, and last a long time. (and I've never had a bad string)

3. What gauge do you use most?

45, 65, 85, 105

everything

Over the years I have probably used every brand of string on the market, so my choice is definitely based on experience.

I do have one bass set up with La Bella flatwounds--used in the studio only, and my fretless has GHS brite flats.

Elixir Nanoweb

2. Why?

They sound good longer than any other strings I've used. Previously I used DR Lowriders but I was burning through a set every 7-10 days. The Elixirs last me around a month.

45 - 65 - 80 - 100 - 130

Just about everything

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

2. Why?

They sound good longer than any other strings I've used. Previously I used DR Lowriders but I was burning through a set every 7-10 days. The Elixirs last me around a month.

:eek: Wow! Do you sweat a lot or do you just play a lot? That's unbelievable! I usually use a set of strings (SIT Nickel Rock Brights or DR Nickel-Plated Lo-Riders) for about a month.

Rig:

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Originally posted by bassplayer7770:

2. Why?

:eek: Wow! Do you sweat a lot or do you just play a lot? That's unbelievable! I usually use a set of strings (SIT Nickel Rock Brights or DR Nickel-Plated Lo-Riders) for about a month.
I play a lot. In an average week, I'll spend 20 hours playing bass.. Depending on what's going on, that number can get to 30+ hours.

20 hours a week really isn't that much, you are going through a lot of strings!

20 hours a day may be a little too much.

Everyone's hands have slightly different chemistry and in some people the oils and sweats can really eat up strings.

Also some people really, really, really like the sound of brand new strings so they insist on new strings all the time.

I hear that Anthony Jackson sometimes changes strings every TAKE in the studio.

I guess I'm lucky, my hands don't sweat, I play reasonably lightly and strings last for a while...good thing too, because with all my basses it would get pretty expensive to keep changing.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

20 hours a week really isn't that much, you are going through a lot of strings!

20 hours a day may be a little too much.

Everyone's hands have slightly different chemistry and in some people the oils and sweats can really eat up strings.

Also some people really, really, really like the sound of brand new strings so they insist on new strings all the time.

I hear that Anthony Jackson sometimes changes strings every TAKE in the studio.

I guess I'm lucky, my hands don't sweat, I play reasonably lightly and strings last for a while...good thing too, because with all my basses it would get pretty expensive to keep changing.

I like the sound of not-so-new-but-recently-new strings. :D Yeah, one of the reasons I go through them so quickly is because I do like a little bit of that extra bite that new strings have. With the Elixirs, that tone lasts a long time... with the DR strings (and others I've tried) that tone goes away fairly quickly.

Right now I'm using the stock strings on my bass, but when I go in to actually buy it, I'm going to also get some fretboard oil and a new set of strings..Right now it's looking like I'll either go for D'addario's or Elixir Nanoweb strings (5 string set).

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

D'Addario Prisms.

2. Why?

I like the way they feel and sound...and they're cheaper than DRs, which I love also.

I don't play with a trebly sound but I feel the brightness helps the fundamental of the note cut through the mix to give the impression of nice, bottomy support...

45-100

Just about everything short of hardcore bebop and latin. (If I ever get good enough to play either of those styles, my answer to the strings question might change to "D'Addario Heliocores" :D )

I'm not brand loyal, plus my local music shop seems to buy in different makes all the time. If given the choice I always veer towards Ernie Balls. I trust them I guess. 45-105's Nickel Round Wound. Why? Cos they're the recommended string for the bass, I don't wanna wreck the thing before I've actually paid for it. I play mostly rock n roll.

If I had more cash (and was a truss rod expert)I'd experiment more.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass S/S Roundwounds.

2. Why?

Well my bass is extremely trebly and biting but I like to slap and chord so I need roundwounds, plus it like the extra grit (and tension) that s/s gives me. However despite being s/s sounds, these strings have a nice deep thick sound, and they're balanced gauges so the tension is so much more even across the strings. The other key thing is that they last for ever. After mellowing out initially their sound has remained consistent (and with plenty of highs) for the past two years. So for me a very 'modern' sounding bass and old somewhat 'vintage' sounding strings has proven an excellent combination. Really growly complex mids, very expressive.

44-110. Nice and thick (both physically and tonally) and the tension is very even across all the strings.

Sort of funk, rock, reggae, very bass driven slightly weird stuff. See my post on 'my tone'.

I play a lot. In an average week, I'll spend 20 hours playing bass.. Depending on what's going on, that number can get to 30+ hours.

Well, Jeremy may not consider that a lot of playing, but, for me, that would be a lot of playing. I'm probably lucky to get in a total of 10 hours of playing per week right now. Plus, by the time I change my strings they're fairly dead. I guess I'm just cheap, so I don't want to buy strings too often (one set per month is plenty). ;):D

Rig:

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

It's really strange, but I've kinda come full circle. For years after I started playing, my ear wasn't trained enough to really notice string differences, so I'd buy anything my wallet allowed. Later, I started trying different string manufacturers and found a few I'd hang with for awhile, then on to another brand, questing for 'that sound'.

I gave up chasing my tail on that pursuit and just buy whatever the local music store carries. I think if I were doing regular studio work again, I'd start being more selective, but for live work, it just doesn't matter to me anymore.

1. Preference? None. Two weeks ago I bought Fender 5 string set, B and E strings are taper-wound.

2. Why? Just doesn't matter to me.

3. Gauge? Larger gauges. I like the tension.

4. Style of music? Currently classic/modern pop/rock.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

On my fretted 4-string:

Ken Smith medium Rock Masters 45-105. I think they sound great, but I haven't experimented with lots of strings. I change my strings a couple of times a year because I like 'em better when they've lost that "bite" of newness.

On my fretless 5-string:

D'Addario Half-Rounds 45-65-80-100-130. I like that the half-rounds are gentler on my 'board, but have a touch more zing than flats. I also leave them on a long time.

I play blues, rock, funk, R&B, and a little jazz. I play mostly fingerstyle, occasionally slap, and rarely use a pick.

I've got strings on my basses that I like, and I'm not inclined to experiment. If someone threw some freebies my way, sure, I'd try 'em out.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived