Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

acoustic bass setup

soulman

I am a guitarist trying to help a friend who plays acoustic bass with his guitar setup. Does anyone know what the specs are for setting up an acoustic bass ie. neck relief, string height etc. I assume that they are not the same as an acoustic 6 string, but not sure.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BenLoy:

An acoustic bass guitar?

Yes, lika dissa one here...

http://www.deanguitars.com/content/imagelib/basses/acousticbass/IMAGES/PerdBassCEFretl_GN.jpg

But as for how to adjust it, I dunno. There's no height adjustment on the bridge to worry about and as for the neck, just tighten the rod until the strings start to rattle and then back it off a bit I guess.

No It's not mine. I just grabbed a pic off the Dean website for illustration purposes. I've played a fretted version of this bass and it was good, not great, but good. Listing out at $489 they aren't real expensive and the fretted version is even a little cheaper. I liked it better than a Fender acoustic I played which was a good deal more expensive.

I haven't looked for or used any specs setting up either of the two fretless ABGs I've owned- without bridge adjustments you really can only adjust the truss rod. Same thing with a fretted ABG, I'd just use regular bass specs to adjust the relief. If the result is way out of whack, you'd want to trim or replace the bridge saddle, but be cautious since there is usually a piezo strip beneath.

If you play only amplified, regular e-bass measures are appropriate, but if you play acoustically as well you may want higher action to allow for more enthusiastic playing.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Archived