Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cab question

Jay J.

I am looking at some cabs. I want to get a 4X10 but they are kinda big and not real easy to transport. so I'm woundering how 2 2X10 cabs would compare in sound quality to a 4X10. would there be a major difference in sound quality.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I miss about my last rig was that it was 2 2x10 cabs with a head. I now have 1 4x10 with a head and I miss the portability and flexibility of 2 separate cabs.

I didn't have to lug a large cab around if I didn't need it. Sometimes a 2x10 is really all you need.

Mine were Carvin MP210T's which also functioned as monitors so when I was using them with a big PA, I could have 1 in front of me and 1 by our drummer - personal foldback!

Hmmmmm...........

One advantage to a 4x10 is a little more bottom end than 2 2x10's. Of course, you wouldn't really notice too much of a difference.

I'm looking into adding an Acme Low B2 to my setup, but I need to snag another amp to push it. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about them, and you'll still have that missing bottom end.

I doubt that most pairs of 2x10" cabs would have less bottom than a matching 4x10". In fact I suspect it's the other way around, as a single 2x10" is often optimised for having enough bottom when used on it's own, so when you double up the LF acoustic coupling makes them bassier than a single 4x10".

I use two Acme Low-B2II's and have found that another benefit of this configuration is being able to stack them vertically which seems to give more focus and better projection.

Alex

Originally posted by cornbread:

I've heard nothing but wonderful things about [Acmes], and you'll still have that missing bottom end.

are you sure you'd have missing bottom end? it's +/- 3dB down to 41Hz, and -6dB at 31Hz. the reason everyone loves them is that they're truly low, instead of hyping low mid to increase perceived lows.

robb.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

I've never needed anything more than my Acme Low-B2. It's loud as hell for a 2x10, has tons of bottom, and is much lighter than most cabs.

And inexpensive for what you get! Direct from Acme. I've been jonesin' for one for a while, although my current gigging (not) and financial (limited) circumstances don't justify the purchase.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Oops....I guess my last post could have been misunderstood. I meant that you'd have the low end back that you would lose with another pair of 2x10's.

I have played numerous cabinets and have found that the 2x10's are clear, but they don't have the low end that 4x10's have and the 4x10's don't have the bottom end that 8x10's have. This is just in my experience. I haven't yet had the pleasure of playing the Acme cabs yet and I'm pretty sure the Low B2 would have plenty of bottom end.

thanks for the responses. for some reason I was really itching to get a 4X10 cab untill I really started to think about lugging it around.

I think that I am going to be getting a 2X10, and then I figure if I really need more lows I can get a 15.

Originally posted by Jay J.:

thanks for the responses. for some reason I was really itching to get a 4X10 cab untill I really started to think about lugging it around.

I think that I am going to be getting a 2X10, and then I figure if I really need more lows I can get a 15.

Getting a 15 doesnt necessarily mean more lows. It all depends on the speaker design. But I do think that 2 2x10s is a better solution to a 4x10. The sound should be almost the same (most likely the same) and you can take one when you only need one (jam sessions etc) plus you can place them where you want! But it is more expensive - but the ends justifies the means

or something like that

Dave

oh - with 2 2x10s you'd have double the tweeters (and double the mids if its a 3 way design like the acmes) i know the acmes have controls for the mids and highs so you could turn off one set and effectivly turn one 2x10 into the 2x10w and have the other full range to mimic a 4x10... hope this makes sense

I currently have an SWR WM4x10T and an Eden D210T. I also have a pair of heads which include a 540 watt GK 1001RB and a 300 watt Eden WT300. If I had my way, I'd have a pair of 8 ohm Eden D210XLTs.

4x10 cabs are my favorite sounding configuration, but they are definitely a pain in the ass to lug. Mine weighs in at a bothersome 100 pounds.

http://herne.tripod.com/bassrig.html

Originally posted by KikkyMonk:

why 8 ohms if I may ask eden dude?

I am going to purchase 2x10s but thought i'd get 4 ohms for more power

Dave

While clearly I am not edendude, I can guess about why he'd prefer two 8-ohm 2x10 cabs. On a larger gig, both cabs would be run parallel and thus drop the total impedance to 4 ohms, the minimum impedance that many amplifiers can handle. With two 4-ohm cabs, the overall impedance would drop to 2 ohms in parallel which many amps can't handle -- it's too low. On a smaller gig, a single 8-ohm 2x10 cab would probably work fine, because at this venue it might not be necessary to maximize the power of the amp.

All this said, the power handling of the cabs and the power output of the amps need to be weighed in figuring out what would work best. For example, you might have an amp that can handle loads as low as 2 ohms (e.g., some power amps or some Aguilar products), in which case two 4-ohm cabs might be just what the doctor ordered.

Another scenario: a single 4-ohm 2x10 Acme Low B2 with about 500W pushing it might be plenty loud for many, many situations (or 1200W, right BenLoy?!).

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I am interrupting this thread with my obligatory "why not 12s" comment. either individual 1x12s or 2x12s - they have a rich sound... The 2x12s are heavier than I want to carry (but I'm old with a suspect back), but lighter than 4x10s....

We now return you to your 10 inch discussion.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I'm old too. But I like 2 4x10 Ampeg Classic Cabinets better than a 8x10. Carry one when enough & 2 when I have a little help to move them.

Had a 2x10, sold it. Never could get it to sound like I liked. Whatever sounds good to you, that's what really matters anyway. On goes the eternal searce for the sound in your head.

As posted on other threads I've recently joined the ranks of those liking twelves, actually sold my Eden 210XLT and a 410XLT. Can't wait to get a hold of the second one. When I first checked out the Accugrooves I played all his models and ended up liking 2x 112's as opposed to the 212 cab. There's just something I found in the 12 that I didn't get out of 10's.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived