Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musician's Friend

Kanos415

Christmas time is over and a few more paychecks deposited, so it's definitely time for me to buy a few upgrades. I've settled on the SWR Workingman's 4X10T cab to be powered by my Workingman's 15 combo for now. I'm looking to get rid of the combo and replace it with the a good powered head, possibly the SWR 350x.

It looks like I'll be ordering the cab and a few other things from Musiciansfriend.com .

1.)Does anyone have any experience with them, positive or negative, before I place my order?

2.)After I purchase the cab and a kick drum mic for our drummer (aren't I generous?), I'll still have a few extra x-mas dollars. Any suggestions on pedals that would compliment a funky style (flange, chorus, wah, etc...)?

3.) My band records using DigiDesign's Pro Tools, and the unit only has 2 xlr/mic style inputs. Does anyone know of any xlr to 1/4" converters?

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Musician's Friend is the single best online catalog service that there is for music supplies. I've ordered my acoustic guitar, mic stands, guitar case, 2 guitar stands, as well as my microphones from them. My friend ordered his guitar, amp, and a cable. My other friend order his guitar from there. Yet another friend ordered his amp. OK the list goes on forever, we've spent a LOT of money there. They're good people, quick shipping.

And as for the converter, are you looking to from 1/4 TO XLR? Right now my band is using my school's XLR to 1/4 (we're plugging our microphones into a guitar amp... we need money!). There are converters both ways I'm sure. I'm bored, I'll go look right now.

Radio Shack has those converters. They're around $20. I used to have a wide array of them, but, somehow they seem to sprout legs and run away.

MF is good. I've ordered strings and other accessories from them and haven't had any problems. As long as they've been doing their thing, if they were bad, I'm certain we would have heard about it by now.

My wife and I have purchased gear from Musician's Friend and are both satisfied customers. A good pedal to use for funk is the EBS IQ, it's an envelope filter. The down side is they cost around $200.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Am I mistaken, or are Musician's Friend and Guitar Center one and the same? I've always assumed this, because when you click on the "Buy Online" button at guitarcenter.com it takes you directly to musiciansfriend.com . And it just doesn't seem likely that Guitar Center would refer you to one of their biggest competitors.
All your bass are belong to us!

I think so too, but I can't use my GC credit card at musician's friend.

For larger items, the prices are usually the same no matter where you go, so I usually buy those type of items from the store (plus, no shipping costs), or at least try them out there. Musician's friend is awesome for having almost everything (especially little things), much of it cheap, and their closeouts are mindblowing.

Never had a problem with Musician's friend, but for bulky, heavy items, you're better off buying from a store. There'll be no shipping costs, which would be especially important if something needs to bo returned.

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Originally posted by GrooveMouse:

Am I mistaken, or are Musician's Friend and Guitar Center one and the same? I've always assumed this, because when you click on the "Buy Online" button at guitarcenter.com it takes you directly to musiciansfriend.com . And it just doesn't seem likely that Guitar Center would refer you to one of their biggest competitors.

Guitar Center OWNS MusiciansFriend. They don't overly promote this fact, and they operate them as two totally seperate businesses. This includes pricing, specials, returns, product lines and so on.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty set on using Musician's Friend, since the only other store in my area to HAVE that cab wants $650 for it. I'll go with no sales tax and pay the shipping on Musician's Friend, where it's $499.

I've purchased from MF, but not big money -- just smaller stuff like instrument cables, some books, etc. I've never had a problem and have found them to be pretty darn quick on the shipping end.

I've also used them for gift certificates for musician friends. That's always worked out well, and on occasion has even resulted in some reciprocation!

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Although I have ordered from Musician's Friend, and am satisfied with their service, now I use American Musical. The prices are comparable, and the service equally as good--but there's no sales tax on American Musical, whereas for me at least there is a sales tax on Musician's Friend. Here in Tennessee the sales tax is almost 10 percent. gee, that's almost $100 on a $1000 order....a no-brainer...

I've ordered two (2) things from MF. A chrome pup cover ($10) and a violin ($100). The pup cover worked out great, but the violin was crap. We returned that, and rented from Mars. Well, Mars went to crap, so we got that violin for 10x the monthly rental price... I think it ended up being less than $200 for a $600 violin. Yippeee!!!

Anyway, I think MF is great, but that sales tax is killer...I too live in the big TN. So American Musical, huh BillC? I'll have to check that one out.

The only bad thing I know about Musician's Friend is that they buy spam lists and spam them. I know this, because spammers had a little problem harvesting my address from my airwindows.com domain, and truncated the first letter of the username. Since the domain is mine I still get the mail to the truncated username, but no human being or legitimate mail sender would ever use that address.

Musician's Friend used it, proving they buy spam lists- or at least did, once.

I wrote 'em, telling them that they were busted, and to not let their management idiots do that. Maybe it helped :)

Musician's Friend is excellent. I have ordered many things from them ranging from floor pedals to strings, and everything has been top-notch. No crummy packaging, no two month deliveries. It's been all good. Good luck with your purchase.
"Remembers being small, laying under the table and dreaming...."

Musicians Friend is a perfectly reasonable place to go to.

Try this site, though: www.bassnw.com

Bass Northwest is located in Seattle, WA, and their will match or beat any legitimate price quote from the major mail-order companies...plus they'll rap with you about the pros and cons of any of their gear. They thoroughly test everything and will provide you with extensive customer support after you purchase.

Check 'em out.

Just for equal time...and a slightly different selection (MF doesn't carry Zoom)

Try american musical supply www.americanmusicalsupply.com I got my Schecter there last year, and they were very prompt. They currently have free shipping over $250 and a big closeout sale going on. They also offer a payment plan...billing a credit card over 3 or 5 months (depending on amount of gear bought.)

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

partick, I've got to wonder what you expected to get from a $100 violin... At that price, a new violin would be crap no matter what company sold it.

AMS is good, but they seem to stock fewer SKUs than does MF, especially for recording equipment, (but this is the wrong board for that gripe).

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

I have ordered a number of things from musicians friend and have had only a FEW THINGS GO RIGHT!

First I ordered an SG from their scratch and dent stock. The order came proptly but when i opened it it was only an SG hardcase (they still charged me $700 bucks for the guitar)! The return process went smoothly, but as it was a blemished item they didn't have any more to exchange it with! I forgave them and ordered a drumset that was on sale a few months later, and after a week when a large box arrived i excitedly opened the box to find......studio foam tiles. AHHHHHH! Again the returns process went smoothly, and this time i actually recieved my drums (after 2 more weeks of backorder!). the moral of this story: Although i constantly check their website for deals, i haven't purchased any major item from the since. The end.

Official Member of the Low Down Younguns Society

That is the risk w/ a major conglomerate...they deal with so many customers that mistakes happen, no matter how good their customer support is...

I've never experienced anything like that from 'em...but I've considered the possibility...

I've actually never had a problem with Musician's Friend. Most of the stuff I've ordered has been small (like a tuner, straploks, etc.), but I also ordered my Reverend Rumblefish through them when they were on closeout. The bass arrived in great shape in only one day (via FedEx Express, and it was supposed to be two day shipping). However, if I had opted for less expensive shipping the outcome may not have been so good. Their packaging was pretty bad. They only used crumbled-up pieces of paper to go around the bass and gigbag.

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Archived