Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Left Handed Playing Right Hand Bass

L Boogie

Hi,

I just wondered how many of you contributors out there plays a right handed bass left handed with the strings upside down? (Like Jimmy Haslip I believe?) This is me and my recently acquired setup http://www.thatluckybastard.com/2002/bassrig2.jpg I'm into all kinds of music but just LOVE the funk... If there are those of you out there who do play with the strings upside down, how have you developed your own slap/pop technique?

Best Regards & Wishes for 2003!

~L~

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's cool that you posted this. It's actually a very interesting subject to me since I've lately been tripping on Moby\'s bass player Greta who also plays left handed but with the instrument strung as though for a right handed player.

A question I have for you is this: How did you decide (or discover) that setting up your instrument like this is the best for you?

Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

Jimmy Haslip

Keith Horne

Both play lefty-right hand basses. Keith Horne slaps his ass off and it would be interesting to hear his comments on how the heck he slaps and pops lefthanded on a righty bass!

www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

years ago i went bass shopping and found an absolutely SICK sounding old aluminum neck kramer that was a lefty. i loved it and even thought i would look cool if i restruung it so i could play it righty. however this monster had more toggles than the enterprise and they all hung out right under my wrist. to say nothing of the strange welts i'm sure this would have left me, i just kept having these horrible visions of drastic tone changes during the set as the toggles convulsed under my wrist. sadly, it went unpurchased by me.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Hi L Boogy, welcome to the forum!! Jimi Goodwin of the Doves (British atmopheric stadium rock :freak: ) plays the same set up as yourself! He's not into slapppin tho'.

Any time I slap I rely mainly on the E string, do you mix and match around the strings or stick to E and A, if you do, how do you manage to? Usually it's easier to pop D and G and slap A, E(I'm a righty). I suppose it's just Practice, Practice, Practice!

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

LBoogie, I agree with dwalmz, picking Keith Horne's mind on slapping techniques would be a Godsend for anyone, but especially for a lefty playing a right handed instrument flipped. He's actually working on an instructional video right now. Last time I talked to him he thought it would be released by NAMM's summer session. Send me a private message if you want more details. Too bad you're on the other side of the pond or I'd try to hook you up with him.
Later..................

Hi,

I play a right-hand P-Bass copy upside down, although in my case I had it restrung and set up for lefty play. I can't say it's a great compromise, the balance is all wrong with the 'neckside' strap point too far back towards the back of the guitar. Not bad when I sit but awkward when I stand.

This accentuates the tendency for the neck to nose dive, so I find myself needing quite a lot of downward pressure from my (left) plucking hand forearm to keep the body down and the neck up.

It also means that I don't get the benefit of the body shaping around the 'gut' cutout (and in my case I need that!).

I also sometimes foul the pots and lead with my left arm, changing the volume by accident. Maybe I should make that technique....

For me it'll be a proper lefty version whenever I have the cash!

Cheers

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

Try the Spector bass website for some funky upsidedown playing by Quintin Berry (and I mean upsidedown!). They have some movies from NAMM and you should look at Q's novel approach to holding and playing the bass -- and he's funkin' hard...

Spector NAMM video clips

This doesn't really answer your question, but it may inspire you!

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Yeah, I know about QB. He plays a lot around here in Virginia (Richmond area). Wierd way he holds his bass. Almost backwards where the neck should be is where he has the body of the bass! And the neck is pointed downward. Weird!!
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

Archived