Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's talk about Lee Flier while she's here...

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]...and I'd be the Brian Jones of the band! Great post, D Gauss!! :) [/b][/quote]Yeah, but we don't need to find you floating face down in a pool. Wewus-Khan...you've given me a great idea for a thread. Perhaps it's been done...but it was a fun one, so, a good one to do again.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, this thread grew fast! :D And why not? I think Lee is way cool - she knows her recording stuff, she loves music and can [i]really[/i] play, and has a great attitude in general! Personally, I'd be glad to hang with her any day of the week. :thu: :thu: O yeah - I should add that she can take a joke! :D

All right stop it, you guys are killing me here! Ohmigod d gauss, I split my sides laughing over your post, that is a true classic! And yours too Dwarf, you... you drummer you! :D (drummers DO always seem to have a colorful way with words... not to mention OFF color...LOL) Geenard, I'm really hoping to have a gig firmed up in your neck of the woods within a couple of weeks and that'll be really fun to hang wit ya! And hey Khan, thanks for your nice overture, maybe you can come on over to VA when we play there and then we could meet. :love: BBQ in Kansas City sounds good too, 'cept isn't it like hotter than HELL in August there? My extended family is in the St. Louis area, which I avoid like the plague at most times of the year. Super 8 and Ken, thanks for all your good words of wisdom. Glad things clicked well for you and your wife Super 8... I never really rule anything out because you never know who you're going to meet and how they'll affect you, but I just can't imagine not being with a musician. Not that I have no other interests besides music - I have quite a few actually, so I'm with you on the "diversity" thing. But I just don't think it would work for me... I've tried dating guys who weren't musicians and it didn't even remotely do anything for me. Whereas the experience of a creative partnership with a lover, when I've had that, has been so totally amazing that I don't think I could accept marrying someone in a different walk of life and knowing that would never happen again. But that's just me... it seems lots of people want something different. And Craig, if it really did happen that I met someone through this forum (and if he is amenable of course), YOU'RE ON for the ceremony! That would just be too funny - and too cool! --Lee

[quote]Originally posted by fantasticsound: [b] Have you worked out the van situation and set up any gigs here in Nashvegas?? [/b][/quote]Still haven't found a van yet, but we could do a gig up there with the minivan, it's not too long a drive. What would be a good club to play there in Nashvegas? We can play in Knoxville pretty much anytime so a Nashville/Knoxville weekend would be very cool. I know a lot of you forum folks live there in Nashvegas and I have a few other friends there as well, would love to go play there. --Lee

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Flier: And hey Khan, thanks for your nice overture, maybe you can come on over to VA when we play there and then we could meet. :freak:
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]Lee, sometimes it seems hard to find *anyone* who is free-thinking, male or female.[/b][/quote]Oh yeah, for sure! I had NO intention of singling out men there. There are easily just as many stereotypical females - it's just that I don't have to deal with them in relationships. :D [quote][b] I read these posts in this forum, with guys talking about getting married and then subsequent posts saying, "Hey, mannn, buy all the gear you can now, before it's too late!" and other things swerving dangerously close to the types of spam jokes that flood emailboxes everywhere. I guess this sort of thing strikes me as bizarre, because I wonder why anyone would suddenly "change" and deny someone that they love their passion in life. [/b][/quote]Yeah, I always think the same thing, both on these forums and with my "real-life" friends. It's amazing how people take it for granted that "that's just the way men (or women) are". I find this very sad, and even sadder that somebody who doesn't fit the stereotype has such a hard time finding a mate. [quote][b] You get a lot of guys who are insecure. They want to call the shots (although oddly, they also want a "mommy"). They have this idea of what a woman is supposed to do, and somehow, their wife playing drums doesn't figure into their picture. Too bad for them. Let 'em find someone who's in the same mindset, and you can find someone who's a little freer in his thinking. It all works out.[/b][/quote]I wish it did. The trouble is that like I said earlier, I've met quite a few guys in my life who are of a similar mindset to me, but still seem to want women who are more the stereotype. In some cases it might be just that they're insecure, other times I'm not so sure... some seem to want a balance, like Super 8 said, someone who is different from them. And as you say, some guys just can't get away from wanting somebody who's kind of a maternal type, somebody that decorates the house like their childhood home and can bake a mean batch of cookies. It's comforting to them somehow I suppose. Can't really fault them for that if that's what they want... but... that doesn't leave me with a whole lot to work with. :( Even though, rest assured, I know how to comfort a guy. :) [quote][b] It's really great when something works out, when it comes together, and am always happy to hear when others have been smart enough to have waited it out for the right person, and lucky enough to have found that person.[/b][/quote]Yeah... I love hearing stories like that too, it gives me some hope. That's way cool that things are working out so well with your girlfriend, and I can really relate to what you've been saying in your posts. I'm not capable of "settling", which is both a blessing and a curse. I was the same way about a band, and THAT worked out... but sometimes I wonder if lightning can strike twice. Anyhow thanks to ALL of you guys for being so nice... you have NO idea how much I needed it right now. And Dak, thanks for the props on the music, too... we'll have a new tune up in the next few days that I'm real excited about. Hope your new job is going well - you knew what you wanted and went for it! Right on! --Lee

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier:And as you say, some guys just can't get away from wanting somebody who's kind of a maternal type, somebody that decorates the house like their childhood home and can bake a mean batch of cookies. It's comforting to them somehow I suppose. Yeah... I love hearing stories like that too, it gives me some hope. That's way cool that things are working out so well with your girlfriend, and I can really relate to what you've been saying in your posts. I'm not capable of "settling", which is both a blessing and a curse. I was the same way about a band, and THAT worked out... but sometimes I wonder if lightning can strike twice. --Lee[/QB][/quote]It does. It will. There's no doubt about this. Heck, look at how many suitors you have already!! :) My girlfriend is definitely cool. I lucked out, and see, I'm a bit strange, so you have nothing to worry about. She's hiking with our neighbor right now in the Santa Monica Mtns, and I'd be there, but I'm injured, so I'll have to skip this one... :( But we go hiking all the time. Cool. What you describe up above sounds like hangin' on real tight to mommy's apron, a bit Oedipal, but I guess if that's what people want...I've got some of my male friends who want someone really "domestic". That's all great, you know, who doesn't, but it always somehow equates to having a "mommy". But I've watched, I've learned, and I've got advice to pass along now. For those of you guys who want a "mommy", I'm going to tell you how to do this, right here and now. Print this out if you must, but learn it. This is based on observation, seeing the momma's boys at work. Guys, you move into your wife/girlfriend's house. Take the initiative, 'cuz you're a guy, right? Take the bull by the horns (I say it this way because it sounds more manly) and offer to do the dishes, the laundry, cook, chores, the whole bit. That's right, this is what you're going to offer to do. Then crack those glasses, lose 'em, fuck 'em up, leave crap hangin' off the sides, burn the food every time, wash her favorite white dress with all your red clothing, dump fragile silk dresses in to the load instead of taking it to the dry cleaners, flood the bathroom when you are trying to clean it, come back from the grocery store with cheese doodles and dip but nothing else on the list, make sure you run the vacuum cleaner over string and rubber bands and suck up little things from her dresser, but who cares, you're helping. I guarantee a week of this, probably less, and you'll never have to do a lick of work again in your life. Remember, you're a man, and you know of course that the only thing you have to ever do is know how to barbeque and maybe take out the trash, maybe laugh at her a little for being startled before you kill the bug in the corner of the room, hell yeah. But look, you tried, you tried, and for that, she'll always love you even though she thinks you're a goof. Oh, and hey, make sure you never date any girl taller than you. That includes someone who is actually shorter than you until she puts on heels. Can't do that, nope, that's wrong, that would make you feel small, insecure, wouldn't look right, what would other people think? Oh, and make sure (you think) that you're more intelligent than her, too, so you can bail her out, make decisions, be the breadwinner, and feel like a man, hell yeah, even though you know deep down inside that she's also your new mommy.

[quote]Originally posted by Phil O'WeWus: [b]Lee Flier is "good people" [/b][/quote]Are there more than one? :eek: :freak: :D :thu:
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b] she bought herself a "vintage toob compressor" whatever the hell that is. [/b][/quote]Which begs the inevitable question of whether you ever got to compress her with your vintage toob? :D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Dan S, before he could do that he'd have to [b]impress[/b] her with his vintage toob. If you can't do one you can't do the other :wave: -- Robwus
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]Which begs the inevitable question of whether you ever got to compress her with your vintage toob? :D [/b][/quote]Oooohh... all this talk of "warm tubes" is making me hot! Or maybe I'm just over-biased. :D --Lee

[quote]Originally posted by Dwarf: [b]Dan S, before he could do that he'd have to [b]impress[/b] her with his vintage toob. If you can't do one you can't do the other :wave: [/b][/quote]Usually, you have to impress the client with loyalty, reliability, reputation, build quality, and friendly customer service before they take an interest in the warm, glowing, cylindrical object at the remote end of the chassis. I've heard the vintage tubes take longer to warm up but give a more satisfying performance. Any truth to that rumor?

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b] I've heard the vintage tubes take longer to warm up but give a more satisfying performance. Any truth to that rumor?[/b][/quote]Absolutely, that's why I won't touch any equipment under 30 years old. :) --Lee

Knew you'd appreciate it as much as I have, Khan. Hey, when are you going to take Khan's most memorable quote for a signature? Something like: "It is better to rule in hell than serve in paradise". Your humble servant...Theo
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b] I've heard the vintage tubes take longer to warm up but give a more satisfying performance. Any truth to that rumor?[/b][/quote]Absolutely, that's why I won't touch any equipment under 30 years old. :) --Lee[/b][/quote]I could loan you some certified vintage equipment anytime you need a little extra "warmth" and "drive." :D

Well the tubes in my 63 bassman and my Twin and my Marshall and elsewhere are all up to snuff, regular maintanence is the key use it or lose it as they say. I'm a really old piece of gear, but my equiptment is always "up" to the job. Now I ain't looking (great wife and kids here) but if I was Lee would be what I was looking for, because a common interest in recording and playing is essential to overcoming that problem of what some have called a stereotypical behaviour in their mates. It ain't a gender thing it's an attitude thing and it's natural. I have been in upgrade hell at my studio for over two years now, because one of our vehicles went south right in the middle of my rebuild and $20,000 had to go to a vehicle. Now if I was single I would have got a $500 beater and drove the sucker into the ground, but I don't want my wife and kids out on the rural roads and bad weather, in a shitty car. It's not a gender thing, my wife didn't insist on a new car, but when you take on the responsibility of family then those things end up coming first. If your mate does not share your passion for music then you can expect that replacing the couch that the cat and kids destroyed, might seem to be a higher priority than a new mic or preamp. Me I'd happily sit on the floor to have a new Great River NV in my rack. If Lee turns to the dark side and marries an accountant, then she can expect to have discussions about that incredible vox AC 30 that's available and maximizing the RSP contribution at tax time. So good luck Lee I'm sure you'll find that guy who wants to help load the gear at the end of the gig. Make sure that he or you know a little auto mechanics, 'cause you'll probably be driving beaters for awhile. Take care Logan

Archived