Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

tube vs. solid state heads

Jay J.

I am upgrading my rig. I am trying to decide if I should get a used all tube head like a mesa 400+ or a sunn 300t or an svt! or would it be better if I got something like the svp-pro preamp and then got a poweramp.

I love the sound of all tube but I know you have to replace the tubes every so often. which route do you think would be best. pre amp tubes like in the svp are cheap but I know the power amp tubes can get kinda spendy. what do you think?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you answered it yourself. Since you love the sound of tube amps, get yourself a tube amp. Just be willing to spend for the cost of tubes, which should be covered by just one gig.

The sound is what counts, and since you're sold on the tube sound, do yourself a favor and get what is going to give you the sound you prefer.

You're a player, man. Do yourself justice.

Just my two cents....

Now where's my rum and coke?.... :)

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a tube power section; the weight and maintenance costs make it hard to justify as far as I am concerned There is really less justification these days for a tube preamp, as well, with several all solid state integrated amps putting out a nicely clean voice.

However, if tubes are your bag, a tube preamp and nice transparent sold state power amp is the way to go IMHO. I play a Kern (three tubes) preamp over a QSC 2402 2400w power amp, which really sounds sweet and offers, for all practical purposes in my world, all the power ever necessary. That said, I have a Euphonic Audio iAMP 800 on order; I've been playing the iAMP 350 this past year and the great sound and light weight has a lot of appeal, as does its warm and clear sound. The 800w unit will be less than 19lbs.* Hard to argue with that!

• *Disclaimer: I am an EA dealer, feel free to treat my remarks as you may, though I played EA before becoming a dealer

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

I can understand why guitarists like tube amps. Guitarists can get away with 50 to 100 watts to fill a very large stage and they sounds great, but for bass they really are a pain, IMHO.

Why do I say that? My day job is in electronics and I've seen and fixed both types of gear.

Pros:

-Tube amps are more forgiving of overloads, shorts, etc...

-Tube amps for guitars do offer contributions to tone that shouldn't be simulated in any way, especially digitally (that's cheating).

-When you get tired of lugging and fixing your tube amp, you can usually sell it for more.

Cons:

-Tubes get noisy (hiss, microphonics, pops, other noises as they age). The heat plays havoc with socket pins oxidizing and power tubes get gassy with time, and exposure to heat.

-Tube bass amp heads of respectable power like 300 watts or more are often heavy (older amp heads are sometimes unbelievably heavy due to the massive amounts of iron they contain) and the charm of owning one soon gets lost after months and years of lugging it up and down so many steps to back stage entrances during the winter, when ice and snow coats the stairways.

-Anything made with tubes is absurdly expensive, new or used, even more than S.S. amps. Here, in Toronto, a used Ampeg SVT II goes for $1400 and up! Holy Smokes! Good power, good amp, but for $1400+, it better be in darned good condition and have new tubes. Musicians aren't made of money, eh!

-Power tubes are darned expensive and guaranteed to eventually need replacing eventually, a regular maintenance cost most people were glad to leave behind back in the 60s and 70s when the switch to solid state became more embedded in consumer goods. Who here still remembers those tube Color TVs from the 60s and 70s? What a nuisance they were, how they ate up tubes!

-You'll eventually get tired of lugging and fixing your tube bass amp. I did. And many other bassists I know of also have, but guitarists still love them.

-S.S. bass amps, I found, often have much greater low end punch and are capable of much greater low end thump and growl because of their inherent low output impedance. They run cooler, and newer S.S. amps consistently outperform tube amps in power, growl and long term durability.

-When possible, you can bridge them conveniently for big gains on the output side, and while I can't escape the weight of the speaker cabinet (a fixed weight, regardless of the choice of tube or S.S.), there's just no fun in paying for the privilege in towing the extra iron around.

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

what I am bassically trying to decide is. A) I can get a used Peavey Classic 400 all tube head for $550 US. or I could try to find a used ampeg svp preamp and then buy a poweramp. I figure I could get that done for about $600 also.

the nice thing about a preamp/poweramp setup if versitility. You can always change either one without having to buy the whole setup. Also you can add more power/speakers etc as the show/setup requires. Tubes are a nice sound and great for studio use but SS makes so much more sense.

Dave

Originally posted by gbenner:

replacing an Iamp 350 huh, looks like I'll be making another trip ;)

George

Careful, George, your wife may make my place off-limits. ;)

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

A solid state "mosfet" amp which combines both would do the trick.I have had tubes amd the transformer is incredibly heavy.Solid state is lighter and more reliable.I can't really appreciate the diff in bass sounds,but do on guitar..IMHO

Archived