Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A tab questions. What does ---r--- mean?

HypnoBassMan

I know that TAB is evil, but I have a question.

What does r mean?

I have a tab that goes something like this

(x3)

|---------------|-------------------|----... etc.

|---------------|*-----------------*|----... etc.

|-r-5-.-----2---|*-5-5---------2---*|-5--... etc.

|-----2-2-5---5-|--------2-2-5---5--|----... etc.

1 & 2 3 & 4 & 1 2 & a 3 & 4 &

^

|

^

^

This is the r that I am asking about.

HypnoBassMan

The deeper you go the better you feel! (True for bass and hypnosis.)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's rest.

As you'll find out (if you haven't already), internet tabs are - for the most part - extremely sh!tty. But, it can be a good place to start. And since you won't find standard notation for most rock music around, it's about the only place to start until your ear gets better.

My advice as a former tab slave is try to learn what you can by ear, and use internet tab ONLY when you're having trouble picking a part out. Many times the tab is wrong anyway, so you're spinning your wheels when you could be training your ear. The ear is truly like a muscle, the more you use it, the stronger it gets. And a strong ear will get you so much farther in music situations than even the best of chops.

s

Ah, nice marmot.

Thanks a lot. I went to all of the TAB sites that I could find but couldn't find anything on the r notation.

Be well and prosper in the new year! And, a special Best Wishes to all of the members that are gigging tonight! Rock on! Party like it is 1999, etc. and all that kind of stiff. :thu:

HypnoBassMan

The deeper you go the better you feel! (True for bass and hypnosis.)

I haven't heard of an "r" yet in tab, but I have a feeling that it's a "typo." The person typing meant to type a 5 and accidently hit the 'r' which is underneath.

Hope that helped!

... Connie Z

P.S. I think tab is very helpful, although I agree that learning by ear is the best and most efficient way. Since I don't have the skills to learn by ear yet, tab is my lifesaver!

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

the "R" means rest. trust me on this one.

I Played bass for 2 years before coming here and hearing over and over again use your ear. During those 2 years i used tab. its rest

And tab is wrong most the time.

But "R" is rest. rest=R and R=rest. just trying to clear up any confusion

"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

HypnoBassMan...

What song is it? I would love to see the actual tab. Can you post the link to it, if it's on the web? Since it appears by the response of others, that R=Rest, I am now very intrigued by the beat counting line underneath.

Thanks... Connie Z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

Archived