Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pre-amps

Wally Malone

I took my Alembic six and my Kubicki Ex-Factor, my pedals and Accugroove 112 over to a friends house to try out amps & pre-amps. He had an Aguilar and a Peavey Max pre-amp along with a Stewart 1.2 and also a Carver amp. We both agreed after trying all the combinations that the Peavey Max and the Stewart sounded the best. He had two basses as well we that we used, a Music Man Stingray 5 and a Human, made in Germany, which is also a five-string. One thing I found out during the testing was that my Alembic needed a new battery, I was getting the weakest signal of the four basses.

Of those of you using pre-amp and power amp combinations which ones do it for you?

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i love my peavey max, and i play it through a crown K2. i am hard-pressed to think of a better sounding power amp.

of course, i'd love to use the 25 lb. 1U peavey DPC1400X instead. much lighter, and then i can get a rack tuner (mostly for convenience), and also keep my second preamp (ampeg billy sheehan pre) in there, too. no rack tuner right now.

robb.

Yay! That makes me pretty happy Wally! I picked up a used Peavey Max because it was there at my local store and because I had heard a few good reviews. And I really wanted a seperate preamp because I was using the preamp from a Fender BXR combo and that was more than I needed to lug around.

I've had it almost a year running into a Mackie 1400i. Can't complain. Greenboy told me once about how he tricked out the tube side of his Peavey preamp. Sounded interesting but I'm not technical enough to attempt it.

"Don't Ask Me I'm Just The Bassplayer" UBP

I really like the sound of my Stewart 1.2. Less "clinical" than the QSC PLX1602 that it replaced. I use an Avalon U5 as a preamp, and have a Sadowsky on-board preamp in my Lakland. Not a whole lot of different tone options, but enough for me, and more importantly to me very low levels of hiss and hum.

I use an SWR Grand Prix into a Mackie M1400i. The SWR sounds great and records beautifully (and they're so cheap used despite being discontinued) and the Mackie is very loud, clear and reliable. The downside is that both of them, in a rack, plus a tuner and cables etc adds up to a fairly heavy package - if I could afford it I'd buy a lightweight digital power amp just to save weight. However it looks like I'll end up going for the cheaper option of getting a folding cart to move the rig around.

Alex

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by A.P. Prod.:

I've had it almost a year running into a Mackie 1400i. Can't complain. Greenboy told me once about how he tricked out the tube side of his Peavey preamp. Sounded interesting but I'm not technical enough to attempt it.

A.P.,

Do you remember what Greenboy did to his MAX?

It is from Blues that all that may be called American music derives it's most distinctive characteristics.

-James Weldon Johnson

While my main gigging rig is a NOT a Pre/power setup (MO-Bass>Goliath sr.) ....I do have , and like this setup :

http://5centmary.com/Wal.jpg

I use this primarily as my rehearsal rig...and it doesn't get moved.

Alembic FX1 > Digitech dsp256 > Crown MA1200 > Eden 2-12xlt

The bass pictured isn't too shabby either. :)

PJR

Archived