Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good bass for $300?

JDL

I just changed the price range for myself, because I forgot to include the money(I hope) that I will get for my Birthday.

So, my range is from $300-350

I really like the Fender Precisions, maybe I could get a new one.

Do you think if I got one, then I would be too "cliched?" Because like everyone has one. I don't want to be the same as everyone else.

But I know they're popular because they are great basses.

Please help.

Is it possible? I dont want a crappy bass, but.........

You think I'll just have to save up for a good one, ya think?

I'm getting probably around $240 for my Dynabass, so if you guys could help me out, with info. pics, whatever would be appreciated. Now, I'm guesstimating around $300-$350.

But, I do realize that I have a limited money source and wont be able to get the "good" stuff.

Maybe Fender.

peace,

thankz

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might want to consider a used Yamaha BBN4 (passive electronics) or even a BBN5 5string. Solid instruments. They have fancier models with active electronics (BBG4S and BBG5S - I had one of these) but I prefer the sound of the passive models.

fwiw, there is a BBN5 on ebay now (buy it now for $200)

yamaha used bass

I'm keeping my eyes open for a used BBN5 fretless.

Good luck!

I just grabbed one of the Essex/SX basses from rondomusic.com that you've all read about. After upgrading the bass ($140 shipped) with a pair of SD Basslines SJB-2 pickups ($70 for pair) and white pearloid pickguard ($10) I have a very nice looking/playing/sounding bass for $220.

Or there are about 50 other options in the used category for that price. MIM Fenders being one other.

-Mike

...simply stating.

Last August I went down to Steve\'s Music , in Toronto, and I got a new 4 string 24 fret passive bass for about $250, after taxes.

It was the Yamaha RXB170 .

It's an entry level bass, so you'll probably want to shield the cavity and definitely talk to your local guitar tech about upgrading the brass gear in the tuners to steel gears (because the brass ones strip easily), but it plays well across the entire extent of it's range, it's pretty well assembled and has good output from the pickups and seems to behave well when toured around town (doesn't detune badly from temperature change and vibration, though it does detune more than a Fender J-Bass).

If you get it, spend time with it, adjusting the relief and the action to suit your playing and you'll be surprised at how well such a cheap bass performs. The only problem I found (common to so many basses anyway) was the single coil "J" pickup was sensitive to hum from stage lights in a number of instances, so I often played from the "P" pickups only.

Shielding the cavity of the "J" pickup does help a little, as did shielding the control cavity, but ideally I'd want some kind of hum buckers installed.

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

If you get it, spend time with it, adjusting the relief and the action to suit your playing and you'll be surprised at how well such a cheap bass performs.
Yep, you'd be surprised when you learn how to do truss rods, sheilding, changing pickups, string height adjustments, etc, how good you can make an inexpensive bass sound. I have one expensive bass which I haven't used in many years, and the two cheapies I've bought and overhauled are my mainstay players.

There are deals within the price range you're looking at. With some patience, and willingness to learn from members in this forum, the internet, books, magazines, friends, etc, you can turn your bass into a much, much improved version. I see people on here who are kinda afraid to do the truss rods, etc, but you already have the dexterity and manual skills to make music. A soldering iron or allen wrench won't present any problems.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Thankz for all replys. But, it seems that Yamaha has the only cheap, new basses. Maybe I should consider used basses. Because, I'm not to fond of Yamaha, or of "starting" basses. Although, I do have a Squier. I'm most afraid of investing all my money in a bass, only to have it brake down on me. But, thats the chance you take, I guess. I'm kind of yearning for a new bass, because usually used basses need more attention.

JDL,

peace

Hmmm wel i am a newb butI got a OLP MM2 which is liek a squier MusicMan bass it has chrome hardware and MM pickups and it sounds nice. I got it pretty cheap(can't remember price exactly) about 250-350. Hope that helps and also get whatever sounds the best of the low end models the only problem is your feeling doesn't tell you whether it will break down in a month or not. Oh also I played a Yamaha 270RBX or mayeb it was the RBX 170 anyway I thought it sounded pretty good. But again imma newb so don't take my opinion seriously.
In Skynyrd We Trust

JDL, Ibanez is making some great bases in the low hundreds. The model is Ibanez GSR200 . Should run you well under $300.

I had a Kubicki Factor I was playing in a contemporary church band. One night last year the E string blew out. The church had this little Ibanez. I ended up liking it so much I sold my Kubicki. Very nice tone that you can adjust quite a bit. It also plays very easy. Neck is thinner - more like a J bass. Unless you play all the time - and have large hands - a P neck can be demanding.

I've tried everything Fender makes lately and really don't like any of their basses. The mexi P's are pretty nice though.

I think that Ibanez is the best bass you can get for under $500 - and it's considerably nicer and a more well-rounded bass than the inexpensive Danelectros.

Good luck!

Dan Richards

The Listening Sessions

Pro Audio Consulting & Equipment Sales

Direct Toll-Free (866) 409-3686

I wouldn't say Ibanez is the best way to go for under $500, there are many others that are extremely well-made and sound excellent.

Warwick has that RockBass series you've been checking out,JDL. The Corvette goes for....$490. thats under $500, and it's amazing. It got BassPlayer's Best Buy award, I'll IM you the article. It's outta your $$ range though....

I definetly go with the Fender Standards, Jazz and Precision. I have one of each. Both soupped up to be '62. Even wore down some of the paint. Either one is great,both good. But, some are of poor quality, so you have to test each one out and listen. But I think these basses are awesome.

Well, I think you should look into used Fender Deluxe P-Bass Special. You can find them about $350 used and they're quite enjoyable. Precision and Jazz pickups, Precision body and Jazz neck. Wonderful combo.

Or, the Epiphone Thunderbird bass is $360 new and has a great, round, punchy tone that is quite similar to a Precision bass. Also, the Ibanez SR400 is $350 new. It has a Precision and a Jazz pickup and three band active EQ. It is VERY, VERY versatile!

Hah Wickerman,you beat me to it. I was gonna suggest the P-bass Deluxe.

I played a real Gibson Thinderbird the other day for the first time. And my reaction was.....hm? I didn' t get. I heard such great things about it, but I was kinda confused. It didn't FEEL right. It sounded ok, but I've heard better. The neck was kinda iffy too.

CowbellAllen, good point about "best". Regardless of price, I think the GSR series from Ibanez is offering some really great, well-rounded instruments. Wickerman seems to agree - with his recommendation of the Ibanez SR400.

I

Dan Richards

The Listening Sessions

Pro Audio Consulting & Equipment Sales

Direct Toll-Free (866) 409-3686

Hmmm maybe I'll try one of those again.

To me,the name brand freak I am (not entirely,but it helps), it doesn't seem like they put a lot of effort into it. Agathis body,not too great hardware(in my own opinion), doesn't SEEM like the greatest deal. But then Fender Jaguars are made of basswood so....

The thing I dislike about them is the neck. It's very uncomfortable to me. But then again I thought a Thunderbird has a bad neck...

JDL, go ahead and add the Ibanez to your list to try out. I respect both Wickerman's and Dot's opinions,and I don't think they'd convince you to buy something that wasn't good.

Ok, I dont really care for Ibanez, I like Precision, though.

Originally posted by Da LadY In The Red Dress:

Hmmm wel i am a newb butI got a OLP MM2 which is liek a squier MusicMan bass it has chrome hardware and MM pickups and it sounds nice. I got it pretty cheap(can't remember price exactly) about 250-350. Hope that helps and also get whatever sounds the best of the low end models the only problem is your feeling doesn't tell you whether it will break down in a month or not. Oh also I played a Yamaha 270RBX or mayeb it was the RBX 170 anyway I thought it sounded pretty good. But again imma newb so don't take my opinion seriously.

This forum just erased the biggest post of mine, with all my replys to all of you! :evil::mad:

Oh well,

I'll summarize what I said-

Da Lady-I actually liked the OLP basses. They're cool. I've tried them out a couple of times. I'm kinda leaning toward getting one of those.

Patrick-Im not selling my Squier. Thats the only bass that is keeping my boat a float, right now.

Dot-Actually, about two years ago, I was planning on getting a GSR200. I was an "Ibanez freak" at one point, but I'm not anymore. No offense to anyone, but I think that the lower Ibanez basses are cheaply made, and probably wouldnt hold up for me. I'm glad you like them, but they're just not what I'm looking for. I think there are much better basses under $500 than Ibanez. For instance, Cowbell, the Warwick Rock Basses. But I'm not looking for $500.

Cowbell-Yeah, the Warwick Rock basses are cool. I think I can get the article on them at their site.

But, thatd be cool if you sent it too me. Thanks.

I definitly think that Fender is an awesome brand. Don't you think that the Precision is too cliched? Because almost every bassist around me has either a Squier, or a Jazz, or a Precision. But, I can see why. They have awesome tone, hold up great, and they are just all around awesome. I love the Precision. But, I do already have a Squier.

Wickerman-Oh yeah, I've seen those one the net, they look awesome. They probably play awesome, as well. But where can I find a used one for $350?

Thanks for the input. Reffering to the Ibanez inputs, I don't think I'll get an Ibanez. But thanks anyways.

Anyways, here is my "to try out" list:

-Ibanez GSR200(hey, gotta try it out anyway)

-OLP MM2

-Fender Precision

-Fender Precision Deluxe(which probably won't be there)

Dudes, my Peavey Dynabass has the thinnest neck, by the nut. You'll not find a skinnier neck.

Did I miss anything on my "try out" list?

I'm leaning towards the OLP, or the Precision Deluxe/Precision.

Thanks for all replys

JDL,

peace out

I have a Fender P bass. 4 string, which I love, but I recently got the OLP MM2 in a 5 string. And I am in total love with it! Before this OLP I hadn't found a bass that I loved more than my P bass. It's got a beautiful maple neck, with great action. It's a couple pounds heavier than the P bass, but maybe because it'a wider because it's a 5 string. I definitley recommend the OLP MM2. I bought it for about $270. Just inspect it thoroughly before you get it. There was two at the store where I got mine, and the one I didn't buy - the plastic bridge for the headstock wasn't glued in right and was popping out.

One other thing about the OLP. The things I don't like about it:

1) The wood body is larger than my P bass, and my right strumming arm (I use a pick) isn't as comfortable on it. So think of that when you're playing it to see if it bugs you.

2) The frets weren't finished well - they stick out a little past the neck, so they sometimes scrap up against the bass of my fingers. Not a big deal. It never cut me. If it bothered me enough I'd just sand them down.

All in all, I still love the bass and it's worth the above problems.

Lady in Red can you relate to the above problems?

I wouldn't worry about cliches. If you are in a band where appearance is an issue, may a Fender P isn't the right choice, but most types of music have had people playing Fenders. It's the most widely accepted style.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

You forgot the Jazz Bass. Nice thin neck and all.

Also forgot to mention the Warwick Streamer bass. Thats $390.

Don't worry about the "Oh,everybody has it though!" thing. And about being the same as everyone. Nobody complains that their hairstyle is like everyone elses, or everyone wears Abercrombie and Fitch.

Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret:

JDL, I wasn't talking about selling the Squier...I was talking about taking it out back and roughing it up a little. Ya know, beat it's head(stock) into the ground. Body slam it. Grab it by the neck and crack. Kill it, JDL. You know you want to. Kill it.

:cool:

hehe

lol

If I had the money to back it up, I'd rather do that on stage. I've always wanted a bass where I could send it around my shoulders really fast and not care if it gets screwed up. But, doing that right now, would be suicide.Hey, where could I find a used Fender Deluxe P-bass? Thats the one I want. If I cant find one of those, I'm going to get either the OLP MM2(If my money is cut short), but if I have enough money, I'm definitly getting the Standard P-bass.

Thanks a lot.

And I guess my bands don't care that much for style, but in gigs, I still have to wear torn-up, ratty pants, with a cool T-shirt.

Thanks a lot guys.

I also saw some reviews on www.epinions.com

about the Precision Standard and they're all good.

JDL,

maybe I do want to smash it into pieces :mad:

;)

yet another good place to buy used instrumetns is:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=767feb476b81105ab3db02617f9f1671&forumid=10

another option I will throw out there is: look on ebay for a Ibanez ATK or Peavey T-40. both of those are real good basses. they best used buys out there in my opinion. the T-40 can be had for about 200. and the atk can be had for about 300.

the Ibanez ATK is bassically a music man clone. a singe MM pup with a coil switch and active bass/treble.

the T-40 has 2 big humbuckers kinda like the G&L L2000 and has real powerful hard rockin sound. both of those are good basses that I would gig with any day of the week!

I just picked up a MIM Fender Precision that I like quite a bit. It plays well and sounds pretty good. As has been stated here before, the quality differs, so try out a bunch of them. I found that many of the MIM's had really wicked dead spots in the C-D range so be sure to check that out. :thu:
I have no homepage.

Rondomusic.com has really cheap basses you can pick from. cheapest there is like $99 for a Fender-like jazz up too like a 6-string for less than $300, i own a Essex 5-string, and it has great tone and volume. but you should get one of those starter bass packs off of musicianfriend.com or music123.com

Archived