Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Year, New Happenings

Wally Malone

A new year seems to bring about new projects and gigs. I'm adding another new band that I'll be playing with. I'll be playing with a Fleetwood Mac tribute band called Rumours at the Carson Valley Inn in Nevada for the second week of February. The core of this group has some of the same members as the variety band RSVP that I've been doing weddings and corporate parties. In addition I've picked up Sunday evenings at Number One Broadway in Los Gatos to host a jazz jam session with keys, bass and drums as the paid host band. These jams will start on January 12 from 8:30 p.m. - 12:30 a.m.

Any new changes that anyone else will be starting for the new year?

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here, here Wally. Congratulations on the gig. A New year always offers up new possibilities. I was just about to start a new years thread asking people to give a brief summary of the (near) past year and what they hope, or plan for the new one.

2002 was a great year for me. My band recorded our first Demo, played our first gigs (played fairly constant since), won favourable reviews from local magazines, appeared on local independent radio (need to catch breath), had interest from a U.S based producer who loved our "unique sound" bit thought our songs were "entry level, not radio friendly" and I got a new bass and amp.

All that and I personally didn't think we tried hard enough. This year We/I hope to continue on our path. Record another demo, play more and better gigs and hope to move forward as a player and band member.

I sincerely hope everyone on this board achieves their potential in 2003.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Ohh, I forgot to add.....hopefully this year I'll get laid after a gig. I thought this was common place.....like I really picked up an instrument to express my feelings of joy and pain to the world :rolleyes::mad:

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Lol I know this is sad but my friend's brother's band, When Sorrow Fails, has turned down a crap load of record deals because they weren't very good and I htink most of the labels were really small. I don't know the details but my friend thinks they're awesoem and so do I. They play really heavy rock with lots of screams and stuff. If you're in St. Louis you might wanna check them out. Well with New Years I'm starting bass on the Tuesday after this coming Tuesday. It pretty much sucks because it's a long tiem from now and I can't fidn a damn 9 volt battery so I can tune da bass :( . Lol I know how to play the main thingy for the sogn Damnit because my bro got me a tab book :) ... of Blink 182 stuff :( . It's all good. :wave: HappY NeW :wave: !!!
In Skynyrd We Trust

Wally, sounds like fun, I like Fleetwood Mac and think it would be a gas to cover them. Gonna sneak in any of the old Peter Green stuff?

Personally I'm just puddling along, playing in three different outfits, bass in two of 'em, drums in the other, practicing regularly, no gigs in sight at the moment.

Am going to stop playing tympani in our local play-for-fun orchestra. Been doing it for years and sort of at a plateau (both me and the orchestra). That's good because it was one thing too many, every Wednesday night. I was starting to feel like "oh drat I have to go to orchestra" every Wednesday instead of looking forward to it. A clear indication that something needed to change.

Two feet of snow here on Christmas day - winter for real!

Cheers and best wishes to all for the coming year.

Wally - sounds like exciting stuff. Growing facial hair to fit in? One of my favorites was their cover of "Blue Letter".

I've been involved with a work-sponsored coffee house (playing with various groups, doing planning, setup/sound, etc.). Out of that, a guitarist and female singer have shown interest in putting together a coffee house act. We are all laid back and easy to work with, so it has potential for some fun (and trivial amounts of money). We may incorporate some Christian music as well.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I am looking forward to the New Year. The P&W band at church played its first Sunday a couple of weeks ago and it went over fairly well. We haven't had time to gel as a band yet. We've only had 1 practice and I know that will come. I've realized that its going to take a bit more work than I initially thought and less time on this board. It is going to stretch me as arranger/psuedo-music director :D

The church outreach band that I play with should hit the ground running in January. We've got plans for a demo in late January/early February. That should help us get a bit more work in the upcoming year. We are looking at doing more festivals, revivals and community gigs. A major concern is the pregnancy of one of our singers. She just found out over the holidays and plans on sticking with the band until she can't stand on her feet anymore. :D

A member of my church and friend of the family has a husband (If that wasn't a confusing sentence) who gigs quite a bit around this area. He is looking to put together a small combo to do some smaller gigs. Maybe even some acoustic sets. I had a chance to meet with him over the weekend. Sounds like a cool idea in theory. If it all comes together I believe it would be great. Dude is very tasty chopsmeister on guitar :D

I know balancing job, family and music is going to be a challenge. I thank God that my wife is a help-mate in every sense of the word! So, 2003 is looking very good so far.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Archived