Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Role Poll

JDL

This poll is about either 1 of 2 things. You can (a)-vote on what you think that the role of a bassist in a band setting is, or (b)-vote on what your role(as a bassist) in your band is. You only get one choice and I know there are many, many more that you could think of, just post them and tell us. Don't scorn, eat corn

OK?

Got that?

JDLofNewYears-MerryChristmas and have a great new year

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by CowbellAllen:

I'm not a nervous wreck when playing bass, but outside of doing it I don't have much of a life. Read the 3rd resolution the editor of BP has. That's me.

Wow, just as I read this, I had that same issue of BP in my hands. Yeah, I meant in the gigging/playing context as a nervous bassist.

JDLofNewYears-and the cow says................

I'm the front person in my band. I hold it together (though I'm not usually nervous, just busy).

Hard to say I'm essential. I think a band is made up of contributors. As much as I provide the rhythmic bottom, we all make our music.

And if your role is to stand in the back and groove, that's fine. It's just not my style in any group I've ever been in.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Essential? Why have anyone in the band if they're not essential? You left out one option: sober and punctual. Do it all, do it right, and go all the way or go home.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Well Spinbass, I answered as the "nervous wreck" person, but to clarify, I am the one who is most critical about our performance. I am the one it seems who is the dissatisfied one, who wants us to perfect our performance more.

On stage I appear to be having a great time, and am somewhat a front-woman, but underneath the confident exterior I am a person who is humiliated by every mistake that any of us makes. I am constantly on-edge because of this. If one person flubs a chord, then I become very disconcerted, and find it hard to stay focused on my stuff.

I feel as though the rest of my bandmates are just happy that we made it through the gig, while I am making constant mental notes about "where we went wrong."

I am also the one who, when it's time for me to sing, will give the bass away to either the lead guitar player or the drummer, and just take the mic, because I think it makes a better show to have the person singing, displaying some stage presence. (Of course, I also find it difficult to play anything more than root notes and sing at the same time. :D )

I hate that I am so critical. I hate to feel humiliated. But I don't know what to do about it. I think that my perfectionistic attitude is probably good for the band, but it kills me.

That's all. Just wanted to clarify.

... Connie Z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

The description that best matches me isn't on the poll. Where's the selection that says:

"The guy who gets all the chicks and rocks more than everyone else in the place?"

Seriously....

In my opinion, in a good band, the bass player is just another person who helps make the music sound right. The end.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by CMDN:

The description that best matches me isn't on the poll. Where's the selection that says:

"The guy who gets all the chicks and rocks more than everyone else in the place?"

Seriously....

In my opinion, in a good band, the bass player is just another person who helps make the music sound right. The end.

Oh yeah, I was thinking of putting something like that in, but on this forum......................

nevermind

Who's the other 2 ego-maniacs (yes I'm the third :D ) who voted tyhemselves as the most important. If you're gonna be so cocky surely you should reveal yourself and offer up some sort of reasons why this is so!

I'm the most important member of MY band because;

I'm the most musically gifted :D

I wear the coolest clothes

I am the best looking

If I so desired, I could run off with your partner

If I'm wasted before a gig, I am always Elegantly wasted

I am the second coming.

My analyst says once I've gotten over my lack of self confidence I should really go places!

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Strange how all the bass players have to constantly reassure themselves of how important they are, lol. At the guitar and keys forums, the bass players were voted LEAST important member of the band, with singers being the runner up.
SILLY WABBIT

Originally posted by Beotch:

Strange how all the bass players have to constantly reassure themselves of how important they are, lol. At the guitar and keys forums, the bass players were voted LEAST important member of the band, with singers being the runner up.

Really? Well thats the stupidest thing I've evr heard. I think the keys(in rock bands) is the least important instrument.

I think thats straight up damn crazy. Any band could survive without a singer, and most bands don't even have keys. I seem to see more bass players than keys out there. Anybody else notice this? The bass player is the one that is usually the only reason a band is good. Take Led Zeppelin. If we got rid of JPJ, and it was just Plant, Page, and Bonham, would that have been successful? I highly doubt it. Thats the only reason I like about 5 of their songs.Those 5 songs are when Plant isn't screaming like a girl, Page doesn't know what the hell he's playing, Bonham falling behind the beat, and JPJ isn't playing keys.

You know what? I think bands could get along fine without keys. Most bands seem to have done fine so far.

I think thats straight up damn crazy. Any band could survive without a singer, and most bands don't even have keys. I seem to see more bass players than keys out there. Anybody else notice this? The bass player is the one that is usually the only reason a band is good. Take Led Zeppelin. If we got rid of JPJ, and it was just Plant, Page, and Bonham, would that have been successful? I highly doubt it. Thats the only reason I like about 5 of their songs.Those 5 songs are when Plant isn't screaming like a girl, Page doesn't know what the hell he's playing, Bonham falling behind the beat, and JPJ isn't playing keys.

You know what? I think bands could get along fine without keys. Most bands seem to have done fine so far.

Yeah!

I cant believe I inspired someone

my role in my band is to keep my drummer back.. whooo that gyu loves his speed. My other roll is to make sure nothing sounds empty and everytjhing is full of spirit all the time. Even intros, outros, and the small fills inbetween. I worked it out in my band soo that i get all the nice little simple fills just to make sure ur listening and to tell the truth u really dont have a choice with us.
less is more

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. "Most" bands? Which bands are you/aren't you counting? Or do you mean most "rock" bands?
SILLY WABBIT

Archived