Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

String gauges...

Addix Metzatricity

I did a search and found quite a bit of information concerning string gauge vs. string tension, however I couldn't find the answer to my question.

How does string gauge (or tension) affect sound? I've usually used pretty high action, but I've usually played rock. Now I'm more interested in pop/jazz with more melody instead of speed. Would a lower action or lighter/heavier gauge strings give a cleaner sound?

What are the pros and cons of heavy and light?

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, let's see. Larger strings give you tighter tension. The tighter tension causes the wavelength to be less, thus causing the string to vibrate quicker.

A higher action gives you more of a bassy, uprightish sound, because the strings are farther away from the pups. This also causes the strings to be harder to fret, causing you to play more carefully, or sloppily, depending.

So, if you want a lower action, I'd go for heavier strings, that way the strings don't wobble against the frets. If you want a high action, it doesn't matter what kind of strings you use, but lighter strings will be easier to play on, since they are more wobbly.

Depending on your style, there are a number of choices you can make. For rock/pop, you'd want a medium action with something like (4string) .105-.45, or some equivalent. These string guages are also good for that slap/pop sound. For metal, I'd think you'd want to play heavy strings, so you can have a low action so that you'd be able to play fast, but that's just my thought. I'm not really into much but old rock, jam bands, and the such, with some jazz, bluegrass, and blues built in. Just no country or rap, please.

I prefer a heavier gauge string. I like them because they are tighter and produce a lower tone. You probably won't notice too much of a difference, though. The thicker the string, the harder it is to fret whereas the smaller the string, the easier it is to fret. If you're going to be doing some fast runs, go for the smaller strings, if not, use what feels the best. I use different gauges depending on what kind of music I'm playing. As Patrick alluded to, the heavier the music, the heavier gauge string. I never go any smaller than a .100 on the E and never heavier than .115. Any heavier and I run into problems with the windings, any smaller and I break them quickly.

I think type of string, eg. roundwound vs. flatwound, would better fit your needs. I mainly use rounds, but flats have a sound that may suit your needs.

I'm considerably older than 13, and I also like a heavier gauge string.

I use a set of heavy 4-string D'Addarios, and then I get a single .135 for my B string.

The key is that I dig hard with my right hand and I like the resistance of higher tension strings. Also, I like the kinds of overtones I seem to get more of from higher-tension strings.

YMMV of course ...

As far as string tension goes, check this out and it should give you a better idea on string tensions:

D\'Addario Tension Chart

As for high/low action, light/heavy gauge strings . . . etc. - like everything else - it's a tradeoff as well as a matter of taste. Most players agree that higher action will give you a better overall tone, but the higher the action the tougher the bass is to play. How hard you pluck or pick (now that's another run-in-the-ground subject we haven't seen for a while) also determines how high your action should be.

Personally, I used to keep the action somewhat high because of my patented "drunken heavy finger" style, but with improved technique, I've been able to lower the action to make the bass more playable. Proper intonation is easier to maintain w/ lower action also.

"I love ze base",

s.d.

Ah, nice marmot.

Oh yeah, if you normally use something other than "normal" tuning you should consider unusual gauges. I tune (low to high):

Ab Db Ab Db Gb, so I use:

145 110 80 65 45 instead of the "normal":

130 100 80 65 45

Ah, nice marmot.

I really like the big strings. I was using that "Will Lee" set for a while, it had big strings. I really liked them, but changed to a heavy set of Thomastiks.

But to me, the determining factor was not just the strings, but the bass itself. On my Precision, the big strings were great. But on my Les Paul recording, the medium gauge Rotosounds were SO much better. With a medium scale neck, I could bend the strings and emulate a gui**r player (Oops) :eek:

YMMV

I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

I prefer heavier strings. I think my B is .135. I like the extra tension of the string fighting back a bit, as it helps with my speed and accuracy. I've tried lighter tensions, but with the looseness it feels fumbly for speedier runs.
Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Wow. You have definitely given my brain some thought candy. Thanks so much, guys and gals.

And cornbread, I use flatwounds on my Jazz Fretless 4 and they're wonderful. I think I'll stick to rounds on my fretted basses though. But that was a good point to bring up.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

Archived