Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hipshot Detuner

alexclaber

I'm thinking of adding a detuner to my bass so I can drop the E-string to B - according to Hipshot's site it can only drop as far as C, but Matt Garrison has one fitted to drop his E-string down to B; the big question is thus: can you really get a standard hipshot to drop an E-string down to B?

Cheers,

Alex

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think so, and even if it could, I can't imagine a typical E giving you a very good quality B. But if you want me to try it to determine the range capability, I will do it for you.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Thanks for all the help - as I suggested in a previous post, I don't really need a 5-string for my own music, but would occasionally like those extreme low notes more as an effect than anything. My E-string is a LaBella Deep Talkin' .110 roundwound so it's very taut at E and when detuned to B it's still tight enough to be workable and the tone is fantastic (no matter what may be said about modern Warwicks, the old ones rule). The question is merely one of how much movement the hipshot has and if it will drop the tension by enough - Bob, please do try it out and see if will flick reliably between E and B, that would be much appreciated.

Alex

I just tried it and was able to flip it down to a B. The Hipshot is on my Gibson Lee Sklar bass that wears the light gauge Thomastik Jazz Rounds, so as you may imagine, the B was lousy, but it was a B.

The only wrinkle could be the type and position of the tuning keys- mine are the typical cloverleaf-style, and as you probably know, the detuning is achieved by rotating the machine. This angles the tuning key towards the A string tuning key, and while mine didn't collide with the A, if they were both in positions nearly parallel with the headstock plane, that could be a potential problem.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

Cup,

Hipshot is a parts manufacturer. They make bridges, tuners, and tremelo units. I have their tuners and bridge on my Kinal.

They have become synonymous with an extended tuner that has a lever on the tuner that you can flip to de-tune a string. Usually this is used on the E string of a 4-string to drop the E to a D. There is an adjustment on the lever to set what note the detuner goes to.

Take a look at their website - they have good pictures and decent explanations of their products.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/xtenders.htm

BTW, I note according to their description, they are Tunable to any note from "E" to low "C"

Another 1/2 step isn't much of a stretch, I suppose.

I have had no trouble getting my Hipshot to go to a low B on a Fender Jazz bass. I do, however have a smaller hipshot tuning knob on the e string than the clover leaf style. (I intended switching them all but have never gotten around to it! ) It's a Gotoh style...The B is useable if you pick closer to the bridge than on the other strings.

You can hear Matt Garrison's E dropped to B on the tune "Groove Tune". It's the 2nd cut on his debut CD, available @ www.garrisonjazz.com or www.thebasscollectlive.com

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Before I had my 5-string, I had a MusicMan 4 with a Hipshot. The lowest I ever detuned was to a B. And I only did it for a recording of a single song - but in the studio I could be EXTREMELY attentive to the waggle and flap of the string. I wouldn't have tried it live.

The problem isn't the Hipshot, it's the string itself - you get an E-string down too low (i.e. below D, or at most C#), and it just doesn't carry the pitch well. And as far as playability, it's tough, because you end up with one string on the instrument that is a loose lip, while the rest are tight and zingy.

If you really need to detune to a B, I'd suggest just getting a 5-string set of strings, then string up your four with the bottom four. Your bass will be B-E-A-D as opposed to E-A-D-G. There were a couple threads about this in the last year.

BTW - In general, I loved the Hipshot and used the drop-D a LOT on my 4-string. It's just that I think the drop to a B would be a bit much for the string.

Archived