Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jamaladeen Tacuma Where are You?

Jim T.

Tacuma, Ornette Coleman's ex bass guitarist as well as solo recording artist....

Anyone know where he's living/performing these days? I did a search and it seems that he must be living in Europe? Every site I've found is in French, German or Turkish!

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jamaaladeen Tacuma was one of my favorites in the avant garde jazz realm. His solo albums were unique, visionary and funky. The only thing I could find on the web was:

Jazz Valley - Jamaaladeen Tacuma

There are other sites with complete discographies. This one had his lastest performance this year. BET Jazz just showed a segment where Jamaaladeen was playing bass in a quartet. Can't remember who the leader was though.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

An American bass player that I met in London, told me that Jamaladeen Tacuma had taken a regular job. He was working for Wal-Mart or something like that. Apparently he was sick of playing shitty gigs and/or making no money. This may or may not be true. This is simply what I heard.
Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Hey Thanks Rob and Nick T!

Any further updates would be appreciated. Judging by the number of apparent festival dates listed in Europe under a Jamaladeen Tacuma web search, the Wal Mart thang seems unlikely, but who knows?

For those who don't know who this JT guy is:

He first came to prominence in the '70s in Ornette Coleman's electric group "Prime Time" who's most famous album was "Dancing in Your Head". JT later released several Coleman-ish free jazz/fusion solo albums including "Showstopper" and "Renaisance Man" in the mid '80s, which are great very "outside" albums now combined (I believe) on one CD. The music is non key based, free improvisation (no bar lines, no key signatures, no steady meter, etc.) Not for everyone! :eek

If anyone learns more about his whereabouts or an English language web site it souns like several of us here would be interested in learning more. Thanks. :

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Archived