Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

repair or replace speakers?

javlock

i have a peavey 410 cab pushed by a hartke 3500 with a sans amp d.i. in line. i used the sans amp for the first time at my last gig,everything seemed fine until i set for rehearsal the following week. i noticed i had a rattling/buzzing/staticy speaker. i removed the frnt grill and foun the upper left speaker was the problem. i have a show in 4 days, no one in town has a factory replacement can i run with 3 speakers until i repair the 1 speaker, if i can how would i wire the 3

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't run only 3 speakers. This would effect the ohm load and could cause problems for your amp. It may not hurt it if you're only playing for a short time, but I would think it's a bad idea. Get it reconed. It's fairly cheap and should sound just as good as when it was new. I had an 18 reconed not too long ago for around $25.

I have a Peavey 410 also, which has the tweeter in the middle. I've damaged the tweeter, so I keep it disconnected. But when it first went bad, I thought it was one of the 10 inchers. So maybe double check by disconnecting your tweeter and checking again. It almost fooled me when it happened.

Also, if it's only the paper cone that is ripped, and you can't get it reconed in time, you can do an emergency repair using white glue (like elmers) and a paper towel. Saturate about 3 layers of paper towel (large enough to cover the rip about 1/2 to 1 inch around it) with the glue, then glue that over the rip. Sounds silly, but I did it once, and it lasted about a year. You've got nothing to lose, since the speaker is already shot.

Wish ya luck.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

i dont think it is the cone, it isnt ripped or loose, and the static goes away when i push the cone in or restrict the cones movement. as far as the ohm load, i figured it wouldnt because it would increase the ohmage and let the amp work easier. it is a 4ohm cab. the way i figured if i wired the three in series it would give me 12 ohm load, or two in series then paralled with the third it would give me 6 ohms. but i dont know which would be better. the thing is i have a gig on fri and my work week doesnt end until thurs thus limiting my time to loo for a replacement or get a repair done. all this info was given to me at work last night i just need to check with hartke on the ohm changes and if i am getting the wiring done correctly. thanks for the info on reconing

Check out this site I believe the speakers are made by Madison, yet I have no info on how good they are, but the price seems right. I'm thinking of getting 2 10's for an old GK 210T I bought a while ago. Does anyone have any experience with these speakers?
These words, are sledgehammers of truth.

Archived